1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I just had to.......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bigjeeping, Oct 9, 2005.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

I just stumbled over some flyers from this guy I know who plows in Ann Arbor. He's got one truck with a 7.5 western. This is actually going to be his first winter plowing. He's uninsured.

Welll the flyers offer the following deals:

"$15 for driveway plowing - we do the lion's share of the work, you do the sidewalks and salt yourself"

"Neighborhood deal! $22 for full service plowing, sidewalks and salting"

*I have 3 accounts in that neighborhood @ $35 each for full service!!!!!!

This guy isnt a member of this site but I wish he was so you guys could knock some sence into him! Anyone want to call him and give him a piece of your brain PM me.
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Well I don't know about Michigan, but in Minnesota $35.00 minimum for doing just the driveway full service is about $50.00..
  3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Your encouraging us to call his house? We have better things to do and so do you! Dont even worry about him, people will get what they pay for. If your in the neighborhood and do a good job, his customers will likely be talking to you before the end of the winter. If hes actually reliable and does a good job then more power to him, I cant imagine he makes that much money at those prices and fuel being the way it is. Dont worry about lowballers and dont try to "compete" with them. "Sell your service not your price", those that "sell" their price are often those that the customer should know enough to stay away from.
  4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Big Jeeps listen to Chris very good points.
    Also Make sure you have your company name and phone number on your truck. A lot of people dont even "know" there neighbors anymore, as in they dont talk or even know each others name. If you look good and provide great service they will be peaking out there windows at 4 am writing down your number.
  5. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Very much agreed! Btw - I was kidding about handing out his number, well unless you really want it...... j/k :drinkup:

LET IT SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out this thread to see what's big with bigjeeping
  6. West Michigan

How cow guys, you make a ton of money....over here we are getting 12-13 for the "standard double wide" This is just plowing the driveway, no shoveling ANYTHING, no salting. Now, i am running a 8ft boss superduty and a backblade and i am easily make $150.00 an hour. Please let it be known i am definenally NOT a lowballer, actually i am on the higher end of the spectrum. Maybe we just have to charge less over here because so many of the guys are extrememly productive. I don't know.

As for your problem. Call the state.......you can bet he wasn't planning on reporting his income, he will be GONE!

- jon
  7. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Question how you know he is uninsured?
  8. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Well up until about 6 months ago he had been my best friend for 7 years, that how I know.... dang broads always ruin the best things for us young guys
  9. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear about that loss of your best friend. Thanks for clarifying for me.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

guys that under bid me i could care less plowing contracts are so easy to get i end up turning contracts down because i get so many. my minimum is $35.00 and Thant's not even with a gas suer charge.
  11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I just love the guys who plow and make no money. Most of them get weeded out through the season. Bare minimum here is $25.00.......that I know of.
  12. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

i dont drop my plow onto someones driveway for less than 40 bucks.
  13. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

lol I understand what you guys are talking my bare minimal is 30 bucks and thats liek a 300-400 sq ft drives and thats 1-3 inches and walks no saltthis is how i set my contracts

1-3" 30.00
    4-6 40.00
    over6 $40.00 plus 30 per 2 inches

salt is $10.00 figure u do the whole drive with 1 50lb bag
  14. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Don't let a woman wreck a friendship. There's lots of women in the world but you only have one best friend. I speak from experience. Had the same situation many years ago. Luckily, after about a year, my friend and I were able to repair our friendship. Well as it turned out, he married a different girl and so did I. The girl who messed us up is married to some guy that neither of us know. I gotta tell you that my friend's wife is a babe and a half and my wife has been known to stop traffic on more than one occasion but we both learned our lesson and neither of us even LOOK at the other's wife after what we've been through. Better than that, our wives have become very good friends too. We all go on trips together, etc. Glad it worked out in the end.
  15. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

16. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

17. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Driveway charge

$35 Dollar driveways is the minimum here!!!!!!!!!!!!
  18. Runner

Runner Senior Member

We can't get 35, here. If we charged that, there is always someone who will come and do it cheaper...too many people out there pushing plows on residentials. We get 20 a pop fpr subdivision drives and 25 for the walk included.Sometimes 25-30.
  19. NEAL

NEAL Member

I have been there and done that. The idea is to offer a low price and get a large quantity of work in a concentrated area. The problem? Only people looking for a cheap price will use him, probably won't get nearly as many jobs as he hopes and will finally realize he isn't making any money and will no longer be a threat. I tried $12.00 per plow driveways (I even have insurance) here in southern Wisconsin a while back and it didn't work. I learned that commercial is where the money is and will not do a driveway unless it's at least $25.00 per plow and close to me.