1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I just had to share.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowman5313, Sep 27, 2009.

1. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

A few years ago I bought my used F 350 diesel, 9'2" vplow, snow ex salter 8500 altogether for around $30,000. I figure I make around $150 an hour with that set up depending on stuff. My buddy just told me he will be getting $65 an hour with his $1500 set up. (7' plow, salter and crap truck) I know this is to be true. I know because I lost one account he will be doing. The contractor took it from me bidding hourly at $70. I gave an inch bid of $100 1-3" and so on. Other then that I know I have good paying work. I just had to share.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You could still get the account back when his crap rig quits on him.....lol

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You could put a guy that never plowed before in your 30,000 truck and lose money. Or put a guy with years of experience in the 1500 truck and he can make tons of money ,sometimes it not the equipment it the driver who makes the money.

4. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

I recruit. My drivers are tops in the area. Very little damage to lawns and only 1 claim in 5 years. Sure I pay better then average but they get much more work done in 5 hours then most. Besides, I can grow confidently and not have too much stress. And the best thing is that the work gets done right the first time.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Its both amazing and frustrating seeing how much some guys are getting to plow snow in their hoopty's. I had a guy last season want 50/hr with his 85, yes 1985 Chevy 3/4 ton and a 8ft piece of junk Western plow. The truck had cherry bombs on it, it was loud as hell, it backfired when he showed up for his ap. I just laughed and said thanks but no thanks. A typical rate for a new or newer 3/4 ton even with a v blade or new wide out is only around 45/hr.