1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I just got a call from Family Dollar corp

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JeffNY, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

They need someone to plow, its an emergency. Thats what the lady told me.

So I go take a look, its fine, little slushy, nothing to plow. I talk to the store manager about it, she said she had to tell corp that otherwise they wouldnt do anything about it. Their last guy quit after one snowfall.
    She starts telling me the details, when you plow, you MUST come in and get some form stamped, each time, by the store manager. THEN, you have to fax corp the weather report for that day. Then at the end of the month, you bill them.

On top of the crazyness, theres no where to really pile the snow, its a tight lot, and you have to do sidewalks.

Thinking about figuring the price, then x2 for the bs.

Anyone plow for Family Dollar? Is it really this bad?
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

My brother plows our local Family Dollar and I don't think he has to jump through any hoops like that. I will ask him about it and get back to you if no one else has responded by then.

He doesn't face the same issues you do, either. There's a lot of room to put piles and the sidewalk is maintained by the city.

If you're thinking about giving them a bid just make sure it's high enough to put up with all of their bs. If they don't want to pay for it then you're probably better off.
  3. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I have worked for DG in the past as a sub doing their surveillance systems. In my experience they pay and are not too cheap. May be worth looking into it if you need the work.
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sure you know this but just make sure that you can have the snow removed off site if your location gets over run. You didn't mention salt? If you take it I would take a digital picture each time you go to plow this way if they refuse payment because the weather forecast didn't predict the lake effect you have some kind of proof. get a toro singlestage blower for the walk not the big one and not the small one but the middle one that weighs about 60lbs.

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Did you get called direct from corp or did you get a call from Eastcoast lot and pavment in RI?My buddy got called from the RI company about doing a tiny sidewalk in front of a family dollar store downtown.
  6. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Yeah, it was East Coast something, I figured thats what corp was called or something, you couldn't understand the girl.
  7. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

How do you get past weather reports for that day after the fact? can you go online and pull up what was already done with 12-24hrs ago? I guess they think your our salting and plowing with no snow?
  8. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I talked to a DG manager last year at a brand new store.......then were unwilling to pay anywhere near what they should..... I walked out and told them good luck....
  9. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

There are archives...you can print off what happened last year if you want.
  10. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

I can't remember what mgmt company has them but it's a pain in the ass. They had me go bid a bunch of stores. They had no idea where they were or what they looked like. Some were joined to other bldgs and they told me to just guess:)

You also had get a signed work order each time you plowed. I'd probably stay away unless you get a local contact or district..

What do you do when it's 2am?

What if you get a 4" snow at 2am then another at 7 after they open? They going to sign two work orders. I had a customer call me and tell me I hadn't been there last year during our 18" snow event. Fact of the matter was I had been there 2 times:) Luckily the piles were still there. Once I pointed that out she apologized and asked if I could get there right away in the Level 3 keep your butt of the rd emergency warning. So my point.. if I remember right this mgmt. company was a very notorious slow payer that handles FD / DG. Is it worth having to jump through hoops for a 85.00 lot net 60/90?
  11. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I got a call on friday wanting us to take care of two stores in our area. The locations realy didnt work out for our routes so i didnt even call them back. Im kind of glad now
  12. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I plow 3 FD and yes you have to fill out a service order for each storm, no big deal imo. With everyone loosing jobs Ill will take a few min to fill out a paper to get paid.

I like money to much to turn any down.
  13. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I would of called them back and let them know either way.
  14. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Even though I am a sub, there are a handfull of lots that I plow where I have to fill out a little sheet and get it signed by the store manager. It takes all of 3 mins and its nice to get out of the truck, go to the bathroom, get a drink and whatnot.

The sheets are provided by the management company. Also, if they are closed then we just go there in the AM and get them signed.

I would bid that FD if you have the resources to complete the job properly.
  15. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

If you are smart you will NOT work for Family Dollar Stores. They are normally 4 to 6 months behind in paying their bills !!! They owe me now for the last 5 months of mowing !!! Every time I call them they have another B/S excuse, lost invoices, store manager did not stamp them, etc. We are going to put them on COD for plowing and if they don't like it, they can get someone else to plow for them, I am tired of being their bank !!!!!!!!!!
  16. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

Can you say finance charges??.... start tacking on some ridiculous percentage and they'll start paying...just make sure you write it into the contract.
  17. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

I charge 2% per month ! So, Yes, I can say finance charges !!!
  18. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

oh , thats not too bad

you charge what? 120 per hour while your on the site, ...that includes while your having that form signed...so 5 mins time - 10 dollars extra

and $40 per hour while your in the office... so 5 mins faxing time - 3.50

add 5% for the headacre

send a invoice after every storm , send a statment at the end of the end of the month , on each invoice, give a 3% discount if paid with in 15 days..... send the satment DUE IN FULL NET 15 days... on the 20th day call the storemanager, and corp and tell them your suspending service..... and 10 dollar late fee plus 1.5 % per month for late payment
  19. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

haha just playin there snowguy... but you should think about bumpin that 2% up to like 12% if you want any reaction...atleast thats what iv found to work.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  20. BigLebowski

BigLebowski Junior Member

You must be aware of your state laws before making changes to your interest rate. Just changing it to 12% will result in you breaking state and federal laws regarding interest rates. That would be 144% APR!!! That will not go unnoticed or unchallenged.

Here's the ONLY way to get around it AND you must have this in your contract and invoice. Late fee are $....... after such and such days late. But it has to be a single price that does not change. Like my cell phone charges $35. Some states might allow you to charge a percentage or fixed charged whichever is larger. So it's either a single price charge or 2% per month.

This reminds me of the store owner near me that thinks he can legally charge $50 for a returned check just because he has a sign that says so. He actually said that! The state attorneys office says otherwise. In NY it is $20 for you guys that care. The logic of charging 12% per month is like saying why doesn't he just charge $100 or $200? See what I mean?

Know your state laws or you will find your state attorney suing you on behalf of your customers. State vs. You is how the hand delivered letter will begin.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.