1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I just go tmy first Fisher plow and have problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Carlo, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Carlo

Carlo Junior Member

I just got my first plow truck and plow. It's a 93 GMC 3500 with a fisher 8' straight blade on it. I thought it was going to be a easy fix but I am having trouble figuring out how to install the new trip edge springs and bars. Can anyone help me out and tell me how to get them on with out going to the dealer and spending over $500 to do this?

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

You could make a sping compresser if you are handy or buy the tool to install them.. If they are new they come compressed to just bolt in

3. Carlo

Carlo Junior Member

I purchased the new springs and bars from Napa and they weren't compressed.This plow is around a 1993 if that matters at all. As far as a spring compresser I bought one for strut springs but the problem I have with that is on the 2 outer springs there is the rib for suport right next to were the sring goes so I can't get it in placve with the compresser on and for the 2 in the middle the pistons for the power angle are in the way. Also I can't use a normal spring compresser because the bar for the sring has to be inside the spring when it is compressed and installed. This is a newbie question but what is the tool called to install those springs?

4. plowinginma

from MA

Compress the sping out of the plow on the bench and put a bolt through the hole in the bar to keep the sping compressed.. Install spring remove bolt...

5. Carlo

Carlo Junior Member

If I compress it on the bench and pin it, I will not be able to install it because the one hole I have on the bar has to be above the top plate on the plow for me to bolt it in place. This plow has the old style fisher springs on it.

6. plowinginma

from MA

The dealer is going to charge you $500 to install springs?? You could always buy the tool for maybe 30 bucks ? Sorry my bad on the hole placement.. You could always drill a new hole.. or make a tool if you have the facility to do so.. or adapt the one you have..

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

8. Carlo

Carlo Junior Member

yeah they said $500 was the minimum to install them and they wanted $90 per spring and bar combo. I was thinking about drilling another whole to pin the spring down but I'm not sure how I would unbolt it once everything is in place with out getting hurt when I get that bolt out. I'm having trouble finding any info on a actual snow plow spring compressor. The strut spring compressor we modified to fit in the spring but the problem with that is 2 of the springs have the suport rib next to them so I can't use it and the 2 in the middle have the angle pistons in the way so I can't use it there either. Does any oen have a pic of the tool so I can try to make one or does anyone have alink to were I can order one ?

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

11. Carlo

Carlo Junior Member

thanks for that link. I'm going to order this tonight and see what happens when it comes in.

Thanks again

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

You'll have it done within 30 minutes of opening the box. As my brother says "Tit".

13. Carlo

Carlo Junior Member

that looks like it's for a different style springs but for $25 it's worth a shot to see if I can modify it to work.

THanks for the link and pic.

14. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

I used it to change out my buddies 1990 Speed caster springs just this past summer. I had initially bought it to do my new springs on my MM1. A fellow PS member has it now....I think.

16. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

When I did mine, I slipped the top of the spring into the upper slot, then slowly pried the spring up and on to the cutting bar mount with a block of 4x6 and a 2x4. Installed the lower bolts and finished. Had no luck with the spring tool; it snapped the threaded rod.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I tried to buy one from my dealer. They don't use it. They use a shop crane to lift the tab by the top hole. Then put a pin in the lower hole. My dealer said to use a piece of pipe or a bar with a section of chain. Put the bar over the top of blade and push down which will lift the spring tab. Then you can put the pin in the lower hole.

18. plowinginma

from MA

LOL @ $500 per plow spring Job.. I would quit plowing.. LOL And have the biggest boobs around..LOL

19. Carlo

Carlo Junior Member

I'm going to give it a shot. I'm not exactly sure how I am going to get that on the bar with the spring down. the spring and bar combo I bought the springs are about 4 inches higher then the top of the bar and about 6 inches total past the hole were the bolt goes in to lock it in place on top of the plate. and the bar itself barely fits in the slot on the top plate.

20. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

I second what repoman suggested langscornergarage.com or ashsupply.com are both great sources for fisher parts the spring compressor is only 25.00. I bought about $400 worth of spare parts from ash supply before the season and it was here in a day. Great Service.