1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i just dunno

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bribrius, May 10, 2007.

1. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

picked up this 2000 chevy 1500 silverado. had timbrens put in the front. have serious doubts about the truck holding up though. plow is a 8' 6" fisher. according to fisher the truck can take it. i dunno. hoping if i put in trutrack differential maybe i can baby the little 4.8 liter and push based on traction more than nailing the gas down. perhaps plow it while i baby it a bit? any input?

been told it really depends on how much i plow with the truck. not sure of that either. checking on price of insurance etc....
    i have a couple friends that plow and it seems sometimes they spend more money than they are making (gas, vehicle repairs, vehichle depreciation etc.)
    any information would be helpful.
  2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

That is a pretty big plow for a 1/2 ton. I would venture to say no go on it. Has the truck plowed with it before or are you setting it up to plow with it? I would go no larger than 7'6" if it was me. The truck is a 4x4, right? Seeing that you are in Maine, you can count on plowing a decent amount. Are you looking to do just residentials or parking lots too? I'd stick with just driveways no matter what size plow you have. Insurance is a must. It'll save you when you need it the most.
  3. bribrius

yeah. its a 4x4. but has open differential. thats why im thinking tru track or a good limited slip. i think the plow is a bit big for it too thats why i called fisher. plow came on the truck. guy used it to plow his driveway. according to fisher the plow is in spec for the truck. told me to add 480 lbs. of ballast. plow looks awful big. lol guess ill see when the snow comes. hopefully i can go easy so i dont break it. dont think it has a tranny cooler and the high output alternator either. think the plow was added after.
  4. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

you should be fine just take it easy on the gas and use 4 low when you can. but ya i would most def get a good limited slip it makes a huge difference.
  5. bribrius

v-10 with a 9 ft.? bet that will plow some snow. last thing. is the truck a bit low ya think? i know some guys have two or three inch lifts. i see the value in not dragging the frame in the snow but i also see the price tag! is it worth the money? i get to much money in this truck ill wish i just bought a one ton instead!
  6. DeereFarmer

I'd just keep it the way it is and see how she does. A lift is pricey and the bigger the tire you have the worse the traction unless you switch back to stockers for the winter.
  7. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Yea def leave it stock for now. lift equals troubles the higher lift you put on the worst things get. but thats just in my opinion.
  8. bribrius

k. stock it is. i wont dare touch it. thanks for your input.
  9. DeereFarmer

I think atleast Timbrens and a locker are in order. You'll never know how well it does until you try it. I had a '93 1500 witha 7.5' and it pushed it fine. Probably could ahve gone bigger, but the 7.5' was the perfect size for me. I've seen 2500s running around here with 9' Fisher's before that I know do commercial lots.
    Last edited: May 11, 2007
  10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

To raise the front of your truck for plowing, you can crank up the Torsion Bars for the winter and then loosen then back up for the rest of the year. And with that big of a plow make sure you take it easy. Also make sure you get a tranny cooler, it probably will save your tranny after lots of plowing.
  11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I agree with this, my truck has open diffs and the first few storms i went with out timbrens. However, i put in timbrens (HUGEEE difference), and this week and next the differentials on my truck are being swapped out to 4.11 gear lockers (no locker in front)