1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I just broke a curb today : (

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jjmcnace, Dec 30, 2008.

1. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

It has been in the upper 30's here, so I decided to go out and push my piles back before they turned into Ice Bergs. The snow was starting to encroach on the parking lots. My rubber tire hoe's 4wd is not working and was not pushing the piles back far enough, so I got a little "running" start. Very stupid I know, but the bucket hit the curb and popped it off. It was a thickened edge curb and it broke off the full depth of the curb and parking lot (12"). Didn't get a real good look at it because I panicked and put some snow on it. I called the property supervisor and told her that I'd have it fixed this spring. What an idiot I am!

Anyone ever done this and had one fixed? What is this going to cost me to get fixed? I would guess 3-4' of the curb is busted.

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

No bigggy JJ

We have broke curbs before it is alot easier than you would think

I no what we charge to fix curb but dont know what to tell you on that little bit

You sure you cant do it yourself?

3. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

It takes a hell of a hit to tear out full height curb. We have loosened up extruded curb but I don't THINK I have ever torn out any of the big stuff.
    Cretebaby is right, there ain't nothin to it. Don't take much to patch curb

4. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

I may try to fix it myself once the snow melts. I have lots of 80# bags of quickcrete.

5. camconcrete

add a little raw cement to the quick crete, it'll make a lot stronger and a lot easier to work with

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

And keep it dry

7. camconcrete

fur sure, always pour curb dry. Today we poured a mezzanine deck, and the guy we were subbing for just thought he had to pour it at a 2 inch slump...... out of a line pump! I am draggin a** right now.

8. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I remember those days, don't miss them at all