1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I just bought a used Snowbear plow and have some questions...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by miketonon, Aug 9, 2009.

1. miketonon

miketonon Junior Member

I'm mounting it on a 2007 Ford Ranger. I just cleaned, mounted and undercoated the mounting brackets today. The previous owner recomended I change all the hardware because of rust, is it really necessary? The plow is 4 years old and was only used to plow the previous owners driveway.

If I plan on back dragging, should I replace the pins with grade 8 bolts? or pins?

Do I really need to put the bracket on that holds the plow up when driving? If its really necessary, can't I just rig up an electric lock so I don't have to get out of the truck for every driveway I do?

Can I rig up an electric "lock" of some sort to hold the plow down for back-dragging?

Should I mount a rubber flap on top? It doesn't have one.

Can I take the switch out of the box and mount it in the dash? The box is made to hang on the door window, which I don't want to do and I don't want it just loose in the truck either.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, I just plan on plowing my driveway and other suburban small driveways. I'm going to try to get jobs where I can just push the snow to the sides or straight forward. Where with a garage I couldn't just plow straight forward, usually.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Try the "Sno-Way" forum first.
    Use new bolts for mounting,
    Don't use the "travel bracket"
    Mount the box to the console in the truck
    You don't need a snow "deflector" for the top of the blade unless you do long pushes.
    The DP has enough power to backdrag by itself.

3. miketonon

miketonon Junior Member

I noticed one of the eyelet nuts holding the spring is worn on one side. The hole that the eyelet goes through is a little large and oval shaped, I think I'm going to replace them and put a washer on that side.

So I don't need to use the "travel bracket" even for traveling miles? Should I carry an extra strap just incase it breaks?

I want the switch to look like it was factory installed and out of sight a bit, but the switch is very tense, I think it would be easy to spin when I put it.

If I plow a 40 ft driveway, should I have a snow "deflector"?

For backdrag, I've heard of people physically pushing the plow down because it wouldn't do the job. I wonder if I could rig up something electrical for that.

Thanks for the help!

Also, is that all grade 8 hardware? Should I buy directly from Snowbear?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  4. kylejohn

kylejohn Junior Member
    from Ontario

You cant rig sumthing elec to keep the snowbear down, its just not heavy enough and theres no hydraulics

5. kylejohn

kylejohn Junior Member
    from Ontario

Hey but if you figure sumthing out let me know