1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I just bought a new truck. Is there any way to put a plow on it.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by n1pj, Jan 26, 2005.

1. n1pj

n1pj Junior Member

I bought a 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 4.8L V8. It isn't the HD model and it doesn't have the plow prep package on it. Is there anyway to put a plow on it and how well would it work at plowing. Would there even be enough power to push snow? I would like to use it for maybe a couple of accounts and my own driveway. I have looked through some of the forums but I can't seem to find this information. Thanks

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If it has 4X4 then you can put any 7'6" plow you want on it. Its got plenty of power, its not really about power when your plowing anyways. It would be a great truck for residential plowing. You will want to make sure you have an auxillary transmission cooler and crank up the torsion bars to help carry the plow.

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I had a 2002 Chevy 1500 z71with a 7.5 Western Standard Ultra mount plow that i installed on it. The truck held it fine didn't need to crank up the torsion bars at all, had less than 1/2 inch drop with plow raised. If your truck is a z71 then you already have the heavier front axle, whick is the biggest thing with the "plow prep package" and if you have the trailer towing package then you have the transmission cooler too. I've seen guys around here that put the pro plows on half tons but Western doesn't recomend it due to overloading the front axle. One thing you will have to do with just about any plow on your truck is either remove the lower air dam or notch it cause the air dam interfers with the mounts.

4. n1pj

n1pj Junior Member

How would I know if I had the auxillary transmission cooler. It is the regular 1500 not the Z71 model. The truck didn't even come with a trailer hitch :realmad:

What brand would be a fairly inexpensive good quality brand, how much and what would the size and weight be.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have any paperwork from the dealer or the build sheet? Iam not too familiar with Chevys and their specs, if you have the tow package, its a good bet that you have the tranny cooler. Otherwise, id talk to Chevy or the dealer and see. Unless you want to just look under the hood if you know what they look like. You could try www.gmupfitter.com i think you can ask questions about vehicles there.

6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

If you don't have the trailer towing package or the plow prep package then chances are you don't have a tranny cooler. But you can install one easy enough. The next biggest problem is that you probably don't have the heavier front axle since you don't have the z71 package or plow prep that is a biggy since it is a 1500. I would double check though, you can do this by looking at the sticker on the inside of the driver door. Then check with like Westerns website and that will tell you what you can put on your truck.

7. n1pj

n1pj Junior Member

I don't know if I have the tow package, if I did wouldn't it come with a trailer hitch? What would the tranny cooler look like under the hood?

8. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Is this truck a 4x4?

9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

If you don't have a hitch then I doubt that you have the trailer towing package.

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

they put plows on jeep chevy's can take it

11. n1pj

n1pj Junior Member

oh yea I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't a 4*4

12. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

okay...

Judging my the fact that you have the smaller V-8, and not a z-71, I would say your front axle rating will limit what type of plow you can put on it. Check the sticker on the driverside door and I would weight the front axle to see how much you can add weight wise to the front. I would bet it could handle some of the lighter plows, a snoway for example. My one issue with the snoways is their poly moldboards. In cold temperature the break easily. I local from around me broke two in 1 day when we had some below zero temps a bit ago. He did not hit any thing and was just pushing some light snow.. Just something to consider.

13. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

I have the snow and trailer pkg. on mine but I don't think it changes the front axle. I have a the Standard 71/2' Poly. I was told by the dealer it was fine for my truck and seems to work well. My suspension might be a bit stiffer than yours but I'm not sure. Your extended cab adds a bit to your front also, your dealer will help you. Get a couple opinions.

14. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

i have a 2000 gmc sierra 1500 4x4 4.8 with a 7.5 meyer poly . works great i did put a tranny cooler on it and tightened up the torsion bars though. i will post some pics of it later today.