1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I just bought a new roof light

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by JustinD, Jan 8, 2010.

1. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

2. overtime

overtime Senior Member

That don't look to bad. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

3. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Thanks, I think it will suit my needs just fine, I'd love to buy a Whelen or Federal light, but I only use it to plow snow, it will be taken off the truck after I am done each time, spending 600+ on a roof light wasn't an option. I had an Ecco strobe on there before, I loved it but I forgot it wasd there and was playing around on the highway, needless to say the magnets only hold until about 100, anything higher and it becomes airborne. Oh well lesson learned. This one will come off each time im finished plowing. And no playing speed racer!!!!!

4. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Did you already get it in?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  5. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Yep picked it up last night, I wired it to a cig light plug until i get a chance to wire it to my "Aux light" output. I am going to notch the 3rd brake light lens and fish it on top of the headliner where that harness is. [​IMG]

6. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

You shouldn't have to notch anything. I installed mine on my 09 yesterday and there is a quite a thick weather strip around that third brake light. Just make sure your wire is flat and it will let the weather strip compress around it. Screw the light back in place nice and easy!

7. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Nice!!! Thanks

Did you use the factory Aux lamps switch on your dash for your light?

8. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

Mine is in the over head, by the map lights, but yes. Just extended the wire back to the cargo lamp and used a plug. The plug is hidden in the head liner. You said you want to take yours off after storms, so you might want a weather proof plug and then you could leave the plug dangling just below the cargo light on the outside of the vehicle.

9. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

That's pretty much what we run on our whole fleet - the wiring that is. You can buy a "flat two" connector at most auto parts stores. It looks just like a two conductor version of a "flat four" trailer plug. Run it out the bottom of your HMSL (third brake light) and make sure the shielded lead is the hot one of the vehicle side. The splice the other half into the light. this allows you to quicly pull the light off, or put it back on, any time you want.

BTW, we don't fish the hot lead through the head liner. I simply run the two conductors in under the HMSL, and ground right to the sheet metal just inside the light. I then run the hot lead across the back of the head liner, then down the rubber weather strip across the top of the door and down the A-pillar to the dash. We then run it to the Upfitter Switch panel in our Super Duties.

10. SafetyLighting

I stock MetriPack connector parts if you need them. Those trailer style connectors are most definitely not weatherproof.

11. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

What do they look like and how much? If you are only in Rehoboth I'll pick some up.

Thanks

12. SafetyLighting

13. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Nice looks like I'll be buying some 2 way plugs from you. Do you have a storefront or by mail only?

14. SafetyLighting

No storefront but you are welcome to come by. I just have an install bay and my office. I upfitted the two new Chargers TPD got last year.

15. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Ok, I will. Thanks. You in the shop on Saturdays? I work til 5 durning the week.

16. SafetyLighting

Sat, Sun, LOL. I work everyday man. Trying to get ahead. :) Let me know whenever you want to come by.

17. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Ok will do Thanks again

18. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I gotta say this light is pretty awesome, it looks good (low profile), has alot of different flash patterns and the alley lights are pretty bright too. I know alot of you guys don't like the Voltex lights but I am impressed you get alot for the money.

I do think it would look better a different color than silver, I am thinking about painting the plastic black, I just don't know if it would look ok like that either??

19. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

i love my 48" voltex on my truck. and for 300 shipped to mydoor couldnt beat it!

20. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Got any pics?