1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I just Bought a 96 Ford F-350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ole Tower, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

after looking at too many? I finally found My Truck! a 96 F-350 w/ a 7.3 reg Cab Now as a Genuine Ford Diesel owner! how can I increse my Fuel Milage? One item I*D really Like! is a set of gages on the Drivers Windsheild Post whats the Best & where Do I get One! as I Don*t want to Cut My Dash UP! & reading Here about Exhaust Mods! Will they State Sticker? a streight Pipe? again what Size?? as I think? one Big One on the Passagers Side would Look Cool as I Don*t want to Hurt IT? as Mines a Daily Driver & its Gotta Last ME --Ole Tower--

2. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

CHIPS CHIPS CHIPS

http://www.superchips.com/product.phtml?p=13&mmk=1086&msg=+

i have a superchip in my 99 7.3 and wouldn't have anything else.

i don't know what to tell you about exhaust since i don't have to state sticker

and gauges are always great.

[​IMG]

most places will sell a pillar pod with 2-3 pods for gauges. and you won't have to cut up your dash. right now i've actually got a 3 pod gauge with Pyrometer(Most important in my opinion), Boost, and Trans Temp ( not needed if its a manual)

i like my pro-comps, but i'd find a set that matches your dash or cluster panel gauges.

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Best thing for fuel mileage is to air up the tires and drive slowly. Your could go 4" exhaust and open air intake. Some say a chip will help, but most likely you won't keep your foot out of it and fuel mileage will suffer. I would definitely go with a 3 gauge pod on the a-pillar. Tranny temp, exhaust temp, and boost. Happy spending and don't forget an oil analysis every once and a while so you won't sleep at night.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Hey Jim, whatever happened to that brand new Dodge that was given to you?

How about that sure protector so you could get rid of WebTV and get a PC?

Congrats on the truck

5. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

i run mine on the tow setting. it gained me close to 6-7 mpg. after the first couple weeks you get over thewhole chip thing and get back to driving normally. the 4" turbo back exhaust will let that turbo breathe and spool up easier which means more power faster!

does your state require a catylitic converter?

6. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Mark it was a FORD & I still have IT as Its Our Retirement Vehicle still in Storage & is Going to Stay There! until the Wife Retires! I Dono? on the PC? as NO One can Figure Out?? the Surge Problem! & We have Tried every thing We could Think of?? & its Sill a Problem JIM

7. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

I Dono? on the CAT as I bought mine from the Back ROW as IS Where IS! & haven*t had it Inspected yet? but I hang Out at a Big Truck service Garage so installing Big Exhaust is NOT a Problem? as I like a Single Stack right behind the CAB on the Drivers Side! as theres a Bunch of 4 Inch Chrome Pipes in the Connor so I*M Sure I*LL find One! Thanks OleTower

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Try Summitracing.com They have a bunch of stuff for trucks. Exhaust, chips, controllers etc.You can order the catalog to drool at your own pace. They cover all kinds of stuff for trucks and SUV's.

9. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Correction--Stack will be on Passangers SIDE!

10. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Thanks Guys for the INFO I was about ready to give UP! in our Search of finding a Regular CAB w/ Out all the Options most seem to have? & where I*M Retired & ********? as a really late model was out of my Reach $$ wise! the Wife still works three days a week a Nurse at a local nursing home! so WE go for a Coffee & chat w/Freinds & on our way Home drive through all the local dealers lots--& at a New Ford Dealer in the Back Row WE saw this 96 Ford w/ No Plates! & figuring? it must be a trade in?? Pretty streight Body! Good Rubber but Really very DIRTY! & it had a Sticker in the Window!--Wholesale Only!--all covered w/Snow It was Un=locked & I opened Up the Glove Box & there was the Owners Name & address when it was NEW! so YES! I called HIM but He was NO HELP? as He a Farmer bought it NEW but traded it back in 02 --hauled a horse trailer--He told ME it was a Good Powerful Truck but Due to Taxes & Depriciation He had to Trade? I contacted the Dealer & went & looked it Over? & priced It? Still Pretty Expensive! WE Dickerd to the Point of all most Blows? as I really Picked It Appart! the Sales Lady called on Her Cell Phone & pretty soon a Guy came out! & stated to Explain? what they Get at the Auction? NOPE! not for that ONE! My QUOTE! You would be Lucky to Get 1/2 That? Can YOU give ME the address & phone Number of Who? ever Traded it In? I gave them My phone Number & Left! next Day they Called ME & gave ME the Number I called & He explained that It Ran Great & He had Just had it Serviced--Oil & Filters--changed the Tranny OIL & filter-- new ball joints--but Needed a Larger CAB as HE & His Uncle & His DOG as Hes Divorced & takes His Dog every where! which accounts for the really DIRTY Cab! He told ME what It needed!--New Shocks--& One rear Wheel stud was Broken Off! & What they Allowed Him in Trade? I thanked HIM & went & drove It around their LOT More Dickering! they gave Me their PRICE! & I made them an OFFER! & wrote My phone Number on their Business Card & Left next Day they Called! I went & more Dickering! & finally after Days of Dickering! WE reached a PRICE! & I bought IT! as IS! where IS! & You guys Will Laugh at This? I had parked it in front of the Garage Door of their Cleaning UP & Detailed Shop! Honest!! I Didn*t Know??--the Next DAY I went to PAY for IT & YES! the Detail Guys Had cleaned it UP! I couldn*t Beleive it was the same Truck?? as It Looked Brand New? BOY they did a real Mumber on IT I Paid & called a freind w/a Ramp Truck WE loaded it UP & Shes HOME--a Special NOTE!--I Dono? how all you Working Guys! ever Get a DEAL as I*M Retired & have lots of TIME to Dicker! & realize You working Guys Don*t! as My Deal took 4 days of Running Around! which YOU Guys can NOT Afford to DO! in Beating a Dealer Down to a Realistic Figure! so Your All in My Thoughts! --OleTower--

11. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Dont forget the important part

Jimmy, dont forget the most important part, your four days part time at the dealership saved you about 30% in the selling price versus the asking price.

12. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Congrats on the new truck. I LOVE that bodystyle.

13. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

I also love this body style! I am looking at a 94 F-350 7.3 that needs some paint work, and assembly but only has 46k on it xysport ..But anyways contact www.dieselperformanceparts.com that is where I got my gauges, and will be getting an exhaust from them also! They match prices and beat them!...They are great guys to do business with and carry everything you need!
    Mike

14. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

OSHKOSH in My search & in Chatting w/ YOU! I can*t Thank You enough! as I never could have Pulled it OFF! w/ Out Your INPUT! I have to Chuckel! as I was ONE very Nervous GUY! Dickering! but I Did Exactaly what YOU told Me to DO! & It Worked!! as It was Exactally what I wanted! a Reg CAB 4X4 Diesel but I acted like I couldn*t Care Less? just another Ole now Un-wanted?? Truck? & My Heat Dropped evrry Time I walked away!--& They Did Call ME just like You SAID! & I was AMAZED?? in Dickering? as they Kept comming Down! YOU know all the Figures as I Quoted then to You Step by Step! & when I Say THANKS! I Mean THANKS! as I never could have Pulled It OFF with Out YA!! One Scared Ole GUY! w/ a FREIND that really Knows! how to Deal w/ the Big Guys! THANKS AGAIN!! & thats why I mentioned as the Working GUY can*t afford to take the TIME I spent Dickering! Four Days!--WE have Never MET! But WE Will & thats a PROMISE as I*M Not only Goona Shake our HAND! as YOU Derserve a HUG! as YOU Saved US a Lot of MONEY! & in Compairing? OSHKOSH I not Only got a DEAL! --I Stole IT! --OleTower--

15. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Your Welcome....

Your Welcome Jimmy,

You did the hard part as you had to face the salesman and pull it off....
    I'm just glad you found a good truck....

Thank You for the kind words.
    Allan

16. MickiRig1

Good Deal !
    I love it when someone takes the stealer's for a ride!
    They take the poor guy that trades it in for 1/2 what it's worth. Then they triple it when it goes on the lot.

17. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

I Bought a 96 Ford F-350

First of ALL I want to THANK all You Guys! for your Imput Especially Allan as in chatting w/ HIM gave ME the Courage to really Dicker Down & Dirty & by my Mistake? parking in front of their Detail Door! & they did a Super JOB cleaning it UP! which as IS & Where IS! DO not Get! & after it was HOME I took It to the Big Truck Service Shop & the Boss checked it Out! He drove it Around & jacked it UP & Checked every thing! & He took a Sample of OIL to send Away to be Checked? & Told ME the Trucks Sound! mechanically OK! & Runs as good as Any? I have checked! nice Streight Body Great Rubber Nice Truck! & put a State of MAINE Inspection Sticker On IT! ending our Search for a Diesel Pick UP! & YES! WE got a GOOD ONE! Thanks to ALL You Guys! --OleTower--

18. MickiRig1

No Problem.
    That's what we love to do!
    Help a brother plower out!
    Diesel's rock!