1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I hear the boys in Buffalo are busy...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Grant, Dec 25, 2001.

1. Grant

Grant Member

...and only a chance of a flurry around here tomorrow. :mad: Oh well...

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Locals predicted 8" for us today......
    Grass is still green.
    It all went to Buffalo.....

3. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

We've finally got our share here!

Started out salting on Sunday at 1:00pm, and it hasnt quit snowing since.

5 trucks and about 35 hours on the 24th, and then about 10 hours today, (6 of them mine).

Over a foot at a minimum, to some areas with 18 inches or so here.

Almost blew it today- my house is at one end of town, and we got zilch last night after 10 pm, and the other end of town, including a big church with morning services today, got 7 inches ! I checked the weather service website after we opened gifts at 7 am and they mentioned how the south end just caught the lake effect, so I called my Sister and she said they were buried! I had just enough time to get three of us on the church and bang it out before the 10 am service!

My night was ruined anyway by getting up every hour to look outside! I may as well have been plowing, but I had no idea.

4. mowahman

mowahman Junior Member

nice save PineIsland1. I love it when things like that happen and we are able to pull off the impossible...little did they know that we were sweating our pants off !!!!! Santa was definately on your side today.

5. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks-

I'm just glad my 9 yr old daughter insisted on getting up at 6 am to open presents!:D

Its nice to have people working for you who are willing to jump at a time like that. They deserve alot of credit.

We sure got lots of good publicity when all the people pulled in for church to a spotless lot and us just sitting there smiling and waving!:)

6. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Not too busy anymore. I'm not to sure about the city of Buffalo. But most of snow ended last nite about 12am north and east of the city. They say we received about 5"per hour last nite. the way it was comin down it looked like about 10" per hour. The news said Clarence got about 16" total i would love to know where they get their totals from. I got out at one house to shovel and it was at my waist. No major breakdowns, unless you call having no lights major.

Hey Got Grass how did you do ??? you still sleepin ??

7. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Just looking at the local news. Since there is no snow here, they were showing the snow in Buffalo. They claim the third largest snowfall in a 24 hr period in Buffalo history. 24" total (so far, he says they are calling for more up there) I guess it is either feast or famine ;)

Also, the local guy also said that the NWS added a winter weather advisory for Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard / Nantucket for Thursday for a storm moving up the coast. Looks like nothing for the rest of us though.

8. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

what extremes!

My contracts stretch over the area that you are hearing on the news.....One side of my route had 25 Inches of snow...The other had 7 Inches....I aged about 10 years last night trying to track this storm and keep up with it. Time for bed!

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Well guys, Thanks! This is gunna be long.

Headed out at atround 1:30pm the 24th hit em all once, witnessed an accident made sure everyone was allright offerd my cell. Had to wait 20 mins for cops to show up and gave report. (Their airbags went off and horn stayed on, and were blocking lanes.) One involved was deaf and the other didnt speak english. The cop laughed when I told him why thay wernt answering his questions.
    Took a break till arround 8pm headed back out, plowed em all again, got a new contract and did a few flag downs. And plowed a bar (my hangout)(when thier people didnt snow up and no one could park) got some drinks coming my way for that.
    I stoped to gas up and heard thay were paying $20 to pull people off Genesee rd. by the airport, figured I'm cought up might as well make some easy money so I headed out that way.
    Got into Cheektowaga and once again the town decided to skip the first storm or let everyone off for the holidays. About 2ft on the ground and no sign of a plow hitting the road. Cars everywhere just abandoned. I offered a rual-metro ambulance a yank to get them unstuck but relized I would have gotten stuck as well so I wished them a merry christmas and went on. Genesee in front of the airport was a total mess. When cars got unstuck thay would just get stuck again in the middle of the road. Now I was getting scared as to weather I could make it out alive or not. So I stoped at/by a gas station for a min talked to a bunch of people who werent stuck but couldnt go anywhere. By this time I was plowing the roads with the plow fully up. So I told everyone to follow me. I droped the V to about 3-4 inches up. Stuck it in lo and off I went. I figured heck it's christmas why not help these poor people out. So I started with about 5 cars following me by the time I got 1/2 a mile there were about 10-15 cars behind, Eventually made it to Union(I think) and turned heading back to Amherst with everyone still following me. Got to Amherst with everyone still behind honking, flashing thier headlights and waving out the window just loving me. So that was my christmas presant to everyone.

Didnt make anything from it but I had my door signs on. Never did make it to the $20 per unstuck/tow spot. Normally it's prolly not the most legal thing to do, but I figured I'm plowing it anyways with the plow fully up, why not help out everyone and help get these cars outta here so when the plows actually came thay could get thru.
    On the way I passed stuck cops, UPS trucks, 4x4's, Ambulances, Semi's w/ & w/o trailer, Straight blade Dodge plows (2), etc...
    Plowed most a 3rd time and finally made it home arround 5-6am. Ate and slept, got up (christmas day) headed to my aunts with my mom and plowed for the 4th time 1/2, and the other 1/2 on the way home. Mostly just what highway plows left in drive. My mom loved riding along watching me work.
    Customers were coming out stopping me to tell me how great of a job I was doing.
    It just couldnt get any better then this.

3rd highest total snofall in a 24hr period ever. More then the big one last november I was hoping I'd never have to deal with. Most snowfall ever on Christmas. It came down 4-6 inches per hr. at times. Thats a lot for anywhere, talk about low visibility.

And more snow is on the way Wed. night.
    Work with the storm and keep up with it!

Total complete THANKS goes out to everyone here for giving great advice, and helping me out so much. Couldnt have dont it with out ya. I can't possibly pay everyone back so the only thing I can do, is stay here and try offer my thoughts.

Thanks also goes out to Chevy who makes a great truck (2001, 2500HD,LS) and Western (MVP V-plow), I put them both to the eXtreme test and thay passed with flying colors. I swear the thing can stop on a dime on solid ice. Plowed the stuff quite easily. Truck never got too hot or even bogged down a bit.
    I did get stuck twice but that was my fault for scooping the snow up a curb with the blade up to high, so much snow got stuck under the frame it lifted the front wheels off the ground. Just shoveled under the frame and off I went.

Nothing went wrong, nothing broke. Only problem I had was my Aux. light switch I have wired to my rear/reverse fog/driving lights kept going off, or woulnt go on.

This has to be one of the longest posts ever, sorry about the length. (for thoes of you who actuall read all that).

Last edited: Dec 26, 2001
  10. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Congratulations on what sounds like a job well done. By now your eyes are probably glued shut.
    The true meaning of giving comes when one gives of himself and it sure sounds like you made some peoples Christmas a lot better. Not to mention getting some darn good on the spot publicity.
    I just talked to my family who live in Lockport and they were telling me how bad it was up your way. They always tell me that I've never dealt with "real"snow and it sure sounds like I'm in for another ribbing.

Bruce

Last edited: Dec 26, 2001
  11. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Can you ship some of that snow to St Lewy and KC.

FedEx or UPS will be fine.

Rather large quantities please.

We want snow we want snow!!!!!!

12. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

GG,

I see their really is a Santa Claus and he visited you!

Merry Christmas.

Rick

13. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Buffalo airport reported a total of 25.2" of snow, the third heaviest snowfall in 24hours period on Buffalo's record. Forecasters are calling for another 18" to 24" of snow for tonight and tomorrow. I am not in lake effect area and probably would see some snow showers.

14. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

We got around 1/3" here in Iowa/Illinois. I doesn't seem fair Buffalo isn't sharing, being that it is the season for it.:D

15. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Got not quite enough to plow here but did get to salt.

Glad to at least do something for a change.

Bruce

16. Hidles

Hidles Junior Member

GOTGRASS that had to be a world class nite,i like it when the plow is up , and your plowing....excellent...i was rollin..keep up the good work, brings back memories from 1996 blizzard on interstate i95 nb around delaware line to the philadelphia airport..that was the same conditions.:cool:

17. Earthscapes

from WNY

Got grass what a post........ i almost couldn't read it all. Well there's another 12 to 15" in Clarence and i can't sleep...... I lay in bed and just think about where the heck i'm gonna pile the new stuff. thank god for my back drag plow. If you never used one come out and visit me,your welcome to try it out. Watching the weather now it's moving south finally. so i guess i should get back out there. Good luck guys

18. Earthscapes

from WNY

hahahahaha another 1 to 2 feet comin tomorrow nite(thursday)
    Don Paul's forecast at 10:30 pm

19. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

As someone else said...careful what you wish for...

20. Hidles

Hidles Junior Member

GOTGRASS,EARTHSCAPES.............take as many pix as you can,id like to see what a lake really can do...post them when you can...