1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I Have Come To This Conclusion...

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by SpruceLandscape, Nov 14, 2006.

1. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

OK, here goes... I have owned MANY different makes and models of trucks in the last 15 years. From Chevys to Fords and now to Dodge. I can honestly say (with no doubt in my mind) that NONE of them make a reliable truck anymore!
    I ended 2004 with a new ford f250 SD with 6.0L diesel, long bed, ext. cab, plow prep, FX4. That truck lasted me all of about 7 months, which by then, was on its 2nd turbocharger after blowing the first one apart and thru my hood, and on my 3rd transmission, the first two of which again literally blew holes through the sides of the case within the first 1100 miles!!!!
    I then went with a Chevy 2500HD crewcab, shortbed, plowprep, W/T and got the 6.0L gas engine that time. It was back to the dealer within the first 7000 miles because my brake booster malfunctioned while I was on an EXIT ramp from the freeway, sending my sailing through the intersection! Lucky no one else was there! Then, I had the infamous Steering issue, along with U joints and still had less than 15000 miles. Finally, a different clunk in the front end got me out of that one, along with a MYSTERIOUS shake (again the U joints) according to the dealer.
    Now I'm in my new 06 Dodge CTD auto, crew cab, short bed, opted for the BIG HORN package after not liking to crank my windows and worked in the extended warranty. THANK GOD! I've got just a hair over 6000 miles on this one and at about 4000 miles started to notice that it was pulling a little to the right. That was also the same time I put on my BOSS undercarriage and I had thought that maybe once the undercarriage was torqued, it maybe drew the front end out of alignment. SO..... I took it to a CONRADS up the street where I have taken many of my vehicles to so that I could get an alignment done. Of course now, not having had time to go right away due to work and what not, my slight pull to the right is now a severe pull to the right and is extremely feathering the right tire and slightly the left. Unfortunatley, Conrad's called me back 25 minutes after I dropped off the truck and told me to take it back to the dealer ASAP. Why you might ask????? BECAUSE THE F'IN UPPER BALL JOINTS ON THE RIGHT SIDE ARE COMPLETELY SHOT!!!!!!!!! Can anyone sense my frustration!!! We are expecting snow finally in the next few weeks and now my truck will probably not see any of it by the time I can take it to the dealer! Glad I haven't been driving around with my plow already!
    After all these problems with the domestics, and GOD HELP ME I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT IM ABOUT TO SAY, I am one of the biggest fans of Toyota coming out with a heavy duty full size truck! A toyota is the only truck I ever owned (back in high school) that NEVER gave me any problems, even with 130000 miles on it. So.....
    To the BIG 3 here it is....... WAKE THE F%$# UP!!!!!!

2. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

I agree with you,I'm very interested in seeing its specs when its released and seeing just how much a blow this will come to the big 3.

Who ever decided to turn trucks into overpriced luxury cars needs to be shot,its pretty bad when 3/4 tons now are not reccomended for plows :rolleyes:

3. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

well i work for one of the big 3. well let me rephrase that used to work for 1 of the big three (ford) iam taking a buyout in jan and laid off right now. and i have to agree with the past comments i have owned everything from a truck to a damn gremlin and a toyota. and that toyota truck had 180000 miles when the engine went bad and i just went in and did a re-ring and lapped the valves with a new timing chain and i used the same oil pump and the thing lasted me another 20000 before i sold it and to my knoledge it is still going strong today.

4. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

I worked for “MA” when they rolled out the new body style 94 up and need less to say I can rebuild the older 72-93 trucks as to buying a newer one.

CTD is solid motor but the auto is the weak link in the drive train. Ball joints and wheel bearings are the ones in the body. I have no idea how the new non Dana rear are (I have not had to work on them)

I dont forsee toyota trucks being anything like the old 70's 80's yoda buckets that had no power but ran forever with them R20 r22 motors.

I put over $6000 in a truck, and got a new truck.
    Motor $1250 Rebuild
    86 2wd body $750
    727 rebuild $550
    Dana 60 rebuilds $250
    NP 205 rebuild $150
    Old rusty 77 Sno commander $750 for frame and plow….

Bunch of other odds and ends, heater core, window motors, CD player. I can rebuild it few times before I hit the 40-50 K price of new truck. An $6000 rebuild will last 6 or 7 hard years, where new truck last 10 to 15 years

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I agree with this post. However, I love my '04 Ram! I do think that they just don't make trucks like they used too. Back in the day it was all about making a reliable, tough and lost lasting truck. My dad has two 1973 F-250's. They are not in mint condition, but they just keep on going. My first truck was a 1986 F250 351W C6 auto 4x4 and 8' Fisher. I still kick myself for selling that truck. It was solid, ran great and plowed like a tank. It had no frills other than cruise control. That's when trucks were made to be trucks. These days it's all about the options you can get. Whenever I hear somebody talking about their new truck it's always about the "cool options" they got in it. I could care less about being able to control the climate on each side of the truck or having the best rims offered. I want steel plain rims, leaf springs, straight axle, manual transfer case, a RELIABLE engine over a POWERFUL engine and easy to maintain. My Dodge has all that but the leaf spring front end. I have absolutely no interest in the new 2007 or 2008 models from any auto manufacturer. They are all ugly and with the big 3 in competition with each other I think the quality control has been over looked just so they can be the first to claim their truck is out. I am keeping the truck I got and at some point I will buy another just like it or even older and then just keep them going. If you have to pay over 30 or 40 grand that better be the best truck built, but really it doesn't seem it these days. I do love my Ram though!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  6. I agree

I agree that Ford, Chevy and Dodge have their issues. But as for putting a plow on a 30K plus truck in my oppinion is just asking for trouble. I personally do not own a plow truck and never will. Even a "plow package" on a truck is a joke.

As long as Dodge takes care of the issues then don't worry about. That is why you have the warranty.

Spruce Land is your truck lifted? Big tires and rims? Do you 4 x 4 with it a lot? Do you tow a lot?

Good luck with your truck ......

I do love Dodge Diesels myself.....

Here is my work truck..

94 CTD with 195,000 450 HP and 985 TQ.

[​IMG]

7. TEX

TEX Senior Member

Ddoge

I'll agree it seems that we(truck buyers) have had to "settle" for what they make instead of buying what we want. not to mention pay more for it bc if has all the stuff on it. i know that you can never make everyone happy but gees at least try, dont just say ah they will buy it bc they love chevy or ford, not bc of how its built. my last truck was a 01 Dodge 2500 Quad cab CTD 4x4 long bed 5spd and i drove it for over 70K miles all the waqy up to 108,000 and only had the lift pump go out at 100,000 miles. my current truck in an 06 Dodge Quad cab short bed CTD 4x4 auto with the big horn pkg.nice truck but at only 2500 miles i noticed motor oil spray all over the air intake (driver side where it goes into the motor after inter-cooler) and on the radiator hosed on the driver side as well. As you can guess i thought Bull S***-- my brand new just off the lot $43,000+ sticker price w/$5,600 Cummins Turbo Diesel option leaking oil. So crawling under the truck i go- started looking around and ohhhhhhh then i saw it oil dripping from the pulley and belt area. My first thought was front main seal- to the dealer we go ......sure enough its the front main seal.... DANG i say brand new truck with only 2,500 miles on it leaking oil. Yes i drove very very easy on this truck while i "broke it in". Now after that novel i do love the truck- Ford well the 6.0 PSD is a nightmare and Chevy is... well a Chevy... love Dodge and love the Cummins thats why i bought me second one and my first Brand new truck.

8. SpruceLandscape

This truck is just about brand new. I just bought it on August 2nd. Its never been plowed with, offroaded or pulled more than an empty 2500 lb. trailer a couple times from my home to my shop. It is completely stock except for the plow undercarriage. I know that warranties are around for problems just like this, that is why I negotiated the extended warranty into the price of this one because I knew that this would have to be my last purchase for awhile and I needed some sort of assurance. That being said... I don't care how many times they take care of any problem, or how willing they are to make amends about it... a day without my truck is a day without my truck, which translates into a day with one less crew working, or having to sub out a few of my lots and so forth. Not to mention the fact that I have two full time jobs. Getting to be home with my fiance or dogs or whoever is tough enough as it is. Let alone now having to take precious hours out of my already overbooked week find a problem, call a dealer, schedule an appointment, drop it off, hitch a ride, go back and get it, etc. The point is that every time one of my trucks is down, its costing me more than just a headache, it costs time and as everyone knows in this business, TIME IS MONEY!! Just needed to vent =o) again.. lol Thanks Chuck
    I wish there was a way to copy this thread to the other truck forums, I'd be interested to see what the Chevy and Ford guys have to say...

9. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I told my toyota dealer I want to know the first day that you can order the 3/4 ton diesel toyota. Because I want a white, super cab, 4x4, diesel, plow prep asap.

10. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

[​IMG]

so glad i rebuilt her........1985 f-350 diesel auto 9' plow.....ugh shes perfect..

11. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/einar1210/photo/294928803579072937/7

so glad i rebuilt her........1985 f-350 diesel auto 9' plow.....ugh shes perfect..

hey how can i get pics on the page, i tgried inserting an image by the url to the yahoo pics page but the single pic wouoldnt come...i even tried right clicking and getting the link to just the pic by itself through properties ....and still it wont come up...

12. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Spruce I hate to tell you this but all 4 ball joints are going to go this winter season. And the big 3 all have this same problem. Somewhere in the excutive offices of Dodge,Chevy and Ford they had a confernece call and decided it would be a good idea to start putting sealed front ends in trucks. I am sure they all got a good laugh when they came with that idea. So you have 2 opitions. Wait out the warranty and keep changing them as needed. Or take the plunge now and go down and buy a set of moog adjustable Ball joints that you can grease. Maybe ask the dealer to work something out with you. But the dealer is just going to install the same sealed ones tha wont last more than 40-50k if you are lucky.

13. SpruceLandscape

I would be much more appreciative of a set of ball joints that lasted me 40-50k miles while plowing with them at this point instead of a set that didn't even let me get 6k out of them with doing nothing more than running me back and forth to the shop and going on estimates. I am willing to accept that when you work a vehicle, stuff goes wrong. But its not acceptable when the vehicle is still new and hasn't seen a day of work yet! lol On top of that, as much as I have complained about the BIG 3 here, none of the Chevys or Fords that I have had in the past 3 or 4 years have needed ball joints, and that was after a few good plow seasons (not including last year obviously).

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Ford had major issues company wide with tranny's and IH almost lost the contracts with Ford over those engines in the 04/05 trucks. TONS of them blew up turbos, sensors, and transmissions. You were not alone. Chevy's issues are a CEO that's been out of touch with the world for 20 years. Oh, and trying to make trucks that ride like a caddy....
    Dodge took a heavy duty truck engine and put it in a stock light duty chassis, hence the front end issues (which have all but been resolved accoring to the industry and most owners) and a transmission designed for a gas engine's output mated to a diesel, which has also been corrected.

There are issues in quality which will always exist from simple sheer numbers- and no manufacturer is exempt from it. Toyota's of the 1980's would run for 300K miles IF you could patch the rust fast enough, and didn;t mind rebuilding the transmissions every 75 K miles or so, don;t expect miracles in the full size truck from them. Been there, done that.

If we all used our trucks for the intended purpose and not overloading the hell out of it regularly (like putting a vbox with 3 yards of sand in the back of a 2500.....)they'd last a lot longer in most cases too.

Some people just have bad luck with vehicles.
    The sealed front ends are a factor of the public's lack of maintenance. A sealed joint of any kind will outlast an unsealed greasable joint in the same application if left ungreased, so since the average Joe Truck owner doesn;t grease the front end or ujoints but maybe once a year the sealed ones are the better option. Even with regular service a good sealed joiunt will often outlast a greasable one. Still on the stock original Dana sealed ujoints in the rear drive on my 96 Ram.
    Anyone who plows knows a plow package is often necessary to retain a warranty, plus benificial for a working truck.

Don;t sweat it as long as Dodge is fixing the truck under warranty it's not a big deal in the scope of things.

15. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree 100% with this post, my 2005 Ram has had more then a few problems with it in its short 35,000 mile life. Personally I think that the dealer is starting to get sick of seeing it in the there all the time. I drop it off in the morning and they call back an hour or so later tell me its done and and that they can't find the problem. I have owned all of the "big three" at one time or another and I can honestly say that they truly are junk now days.

16. BigDave12768

I think what the major problem is... It's people like you who go out an buy 2500 to save a few bucks. Then you slap a 10ft plow on it. Those Blizzards are heavy and they will put them on anything just to sell them. Then you hook up your trailer with your Bobcat on the back of it. From what I can see you should own at least a 3500/dually instead of a longbox 2500 that Dodges does not want a plow on. So if you are going to use these things as heavy duty work trucks then you should have bought the heaviest package you could have found. Not what was the cheapest and easiest to park at the mall.

17. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Once again I see that we are jumping to conclusions on this site............

18. BigDave12768

I am jumping to conclusions???? You have a 10ft plow listed as being on a 2500!!!

19. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

the blizzard plow weight is 900lbs the western v-plow is around 900lbs its not the plow that always causes problems.and yes when you plow **** brakes but **** brakes to when you just drive it around. its how cheaply made the new trucks are and how much they cost thats the problem.

20. SpruceLandscape

BIG DAVE, you might want to do a little more research on the difference between a 2500 dodge and a 3500 dodge. the front axle gross weight rating on them is the same! The gross vehicle weight rating on a single wheel 3500 and a 2500 with the same drivetrain is only about 6-700 lbs more, and thats just due to the increased springs in the rear. Not always is having a dually appropriate for every line of work. If the big three don't want a snow plow on the front of a certain model of truck, then they shouldn't offer a snow plow package. But they sure seem to be big on selling you one, now don't they? In my opinion, unless you are going with a 450 or larger truck, NO ONE should be putting a 10' plow on it. That being said, how many threads do you see in here where someone is complaining that their 10' plow is F'in up there truck? NONE. The threads you see in here are about a plow that is within what the factory says is acceptable, without voiding a warranty, or in my case, not even having a plow on the truck yet and haviing it go to hell. Lets face it. Quality has suffered largely for profits being made in other areas such as leather seats, wood dashes, and 200 inch wheelbases on a truck with a 4 foot bed, 20 inch aluminum wheels, and more electronic distractions than you can shake a stick at. My point with this whole post is that I think it will be a good thing when GM, Ford, and Dodge no longer have a lock on the heavy duty truck market. Competition is usually a good thing when it comes to consumers, and frankly, its way overdue.