1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i have an idea

Discussion in 'DownEaster' started by bow2no1, Nov 25, 2008.

1. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

you know how some dump trucks run the exhaust through the box to keep the dirt from freezing up?

i was thinking why not make a sander with canals on each side, filled with anti freeze, i think it could be heated with a block heater to keep the sand from freezing up inside.

what do you guys think?
  2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

How are you going to power the Block heater ???? It will most likely drain your battery down ...
  3. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

that was the next thought,
    i have 2 batteries in my truck, i dunno if that would make a differance or not?

i was thinking for thouse of us who do not have a heated garage to keep out truck in over night.
  4. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

Well, i plug my truck in overngiht when its cold. The engine block heater and your idea would be similar idea except it would charge the battery rather then heating the engine?? maybe? lol
  5. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

nope -1 for you
  6. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm sure with some proper engineering etc it could be done. Another thing to consider would be the added weight.
  7. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I have built stainless tube loop through a couple of sanders and ran my heater hose to them from truck. THis did two things kept my truck from running hot becuase of the added 4 gallons of antifreeze and kept my straight sand from freezing.
  8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

What about heat tape like on roofs to prevent ice build up. Minus the liquid......still have a power issue. It seems to me the problem exist when sitting, not out driving around. Plug it during overnights.....down time or what not.
  9. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i like it, but one would need some type of easy disconnect. without getting air into the system. for easy removal of the sander. unless you leave it in all winter?

that was my original thoughts. just for use when the truck is not being used over night. that's pretty much when the freezing accrues..
    i don't really see the need for the sander to be heated when in use
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  10. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine