1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I have an idea for storing bulk

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DaySpring Services, Sep 27, 2006.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I'd really like to use bulk salt this year but have anywhere to store it. I know there was the thread about 5 gallon buckets, but I have an idea. I was thinking about getting a ton delivered then putting it into sand bags(they are military issued bags for flood control). They are about 14x26" which is the same size as the 50lbs of salt we get. I know it'd take time and be a real pain in the arse to do, but I can get 100 bags for $30. Plus they're reusable. They'll either be kept in a garage or shed until they're dumped into my salter. Is this a good idea or not?

2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

If you have room to store the bags, why not just store the salt in bulk and load with an old grain auger

3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

A skid of 50# bags of salt is around $250.00. A ton of bulk salt is around $60.00 plus the bags which are $30.00. You need to ask yourself if all the time you will need to spend bagging your own salt is worth the $160.00 you will save.

How long will it take you to bag all the salt and clean up the left over mess?

4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Where are you buying a skid of salt for $250.00? I have never paid more than 120.00 a skid.:)

5. Plow Meister

$250 works out to about $4.00 per 50# bag plus the cost of my time & labor in delivery. I couldn't even come close to a purchase price of a skid of salt for $150 and I live 20 miles away from teh Morton plant in Chicago. I buy 80+ ton of salt a year in bulk. Even with that purchasing power I still can't get 50# bags for your $2.45 each

6. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Also, around here. Nobody buys bulk salt unless they are big.

There is a salt depot within a 10-15 minute drive at any given time. So for the time it takes tor reload by hand, you can drive 10-15 minutes, wait 20 minutes in line and be reloaded at a yard. Bills straight to your account and the most salt you can be left with is 1/2 a truck full at the end of a storm.

7. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I buy 80's and pay 3.60 per bag. No special pricing, just normal pricing.payup

8. Ya Chris,
    I buy 50# bags at Farm and Fleet no less for 2.79 a bag!!!! Dude, u need to find a new place for salt. Even if I go to the local feed mill, they only want $3 a bag... This is not including your time deal for handling it though...wesport

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You guys are killing me with these prices. I assume we're so high up here because of the transportation expense. I think it gets higher by the mile as you go north of Boston.

Anyway, to the point of the thread. Besides the time and work involved with bagging, you need to be careful of where you store it. Bulk salt has some moisture which will get trapped in those sacks. Then when they get cold, you'll have 50# lumps of frozen salt.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  10. Plow Meister

I just went and checked what I paid for bagged salt. I didn't buy any last year since I now only buy bulk. I paid $2.79 at Farm & Fleet. Sorry about that.

11. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

We really need to have multiple, private owned, for profit, 24/7 salt depots in my area that we can purchase bulk salt from. Anyone want to start a new company????

I have a bulk salt bin that we can pull from, but the expense and need for additional salt sources becomes key when estimating new snow & ice management projects outside of your "home base" travel range area.

I think local nursery's should start selling bulk salt.

What do you think?

12. Plow Meister

Hey, you can all buy bulk salt from me if you need some in the south suburbs. I keep a loader at the pile for all events.

13. shamp

shamp Member

Bossman where in cleveland do you get your salt?

14. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Thanks Plow Meister for the offer!

I havent had any work come through the pipeline near you, but still good to know.

Appreciate the offer and would also like to extend the same to you in Des Plaines, IL.

My salt is your salt.

Joe

15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

You guys are killing me on the bagged prices. Best I could find around here was around $5.50 a bag for 80# (CAN, US would be around $5).

Bulk I pay around $90CAN a yard.

Two years ago I started canning my salt in 55 gallon plastic drums with thread on lids. Worked great--three drums was approx. half a yard. Needed my forklift to load of course.

This year I have a 20 foot Van body I am sealing up for a bulk salt bunker. Scoop with the loader tractor. Done.

16. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

you know you're a Redneck when... :D

Just kidding Derrick, at least your doing bulk, my cost is around $5 a bag also (3.98 per bag, but after tax and handling charges its $5.05)

17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

LOL yes.... yes I am.... just last week I mowed my lawn and found a car I forgot about :D

Unfortunately, a new building just isn't in the budget but the $300 I paid for the whole truck with box and roll up door was. It's actually fairly nice, one of those polished aluminum bodies (yeah, until it meets the salt of course) and looks surprisingly like a shed sitting firmly on the ground with all the lights etc removed...

Like Alan once said, I won't include it on the company tour... ;)

18. snitram

snitram Junior Member

salt

where do I buy cheap salt in bethlehem PA?:help:

19. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Good God man,lol we are paying 163.18 for a skid of 30-80lb bags. You need to find a new place to buy salt.

20. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Bulk is $35/ton here, the bags would be $30, but are reusable. Just untie, empty, then refill.