1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I have an electric issue, please help.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ford26, Apr 17, 2011.

1. ford26

ford26 Junior Member

I have a 1989 Ford F350 4door with a 7.3L diesel with the duel batt setup. It has some electric issue with it. When i drive it throught the day runing errands it will start up fine but when it sits overnight. And the next day ill go out to start it, it wont start not enoughf juice. But when I leave it on the batt charger at night, every night it will start right up the next day. Theres something draining the batts overnight. I cant find out what it is. Ive replaced the batts, alt,starter 2 months ago. any ideas. Im getting tired of putting it on the charger every night.

2. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

Verify that the battery leads for both batteries are grounded at the block properly. You can use an amp gauge or test light and disconnect one battery (ground lead). then again on the other an put it in line with the ground on only one battery. The gauge will give you a more accurate reading and the test light would be by intensity. Remove your fuses until the circuit with the draw is found. Please tell me you do not have Autozone, Walmart or thr like for batteries and parts as I would then start at those items first. Also check the glow plugs. Last is the starter itself. I have had to replace many older starters as they draw too much energy and the cranking speed suffers and it will not start. This is the most common when all else is good. Just DO NOT cheap out on parts.

3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

minimum 850 CCA batteries, and a good starter are needed to fire up a cold ford IDI diesel.

4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

If you have or know someone with a DC amprobe you can turn the truck off and clamp on to each of the battery cables. See what the amperage draw is. I once had a similiar problem and when I opened and closed the trunk the amperage never changed. The trunk light was staying on and was enough to drain the battery overnight.

5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I had a similar issue, drove me nuts for about a week, turned out to be the light in the glove box was staying on.

6. ford26

ford26 Junior Member

Ive check all my dome lights every shuts off . The starter is only 2 monts old. All my parts and battories i buy at NAPA auto parts and carquest. The only other thing i can think of is theres a damaged whire in th electrical system?

7. ford26

ford26 Junior Member

The passengar side batt, lead is grounded to the inner fender. The other batt, on the drivers side is not grounded. Should they both be grounded to the block?

8. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

the passenger side battery negative lead should have a small wire going to the inner fender, and a large lead going to the block. the driver side battery should have a large wire to the block. then there should be a braided or large battery cable style wire from the back of the block to the cab.

9. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

tjctransport is correct. Also be aware NAPA has different lines of product, you can still get inferior parts from them like the "Mileage Plus" line is crappy.

10. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

yes, you definetly want both batteries (-) to the block, I don't remember seeing fender and cab grounded on my previous Ford's but it can't hurt.