1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I have a very old 9'2" V and want a new control

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Steve 455, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Steve 455

Steve 455 Member

I've heard talk of 9-11-13 pin controls. mine doesn't have any pins the big box control just has the wires going right to the solenoids.

It's an RT1

Id like to get one of the new hand held controls.

Will this work???

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The 9, 11, and 13 pin reference isn;t to the controller plug Steve, it's in relation to the bumper plug. But it wouldn't matter to you...as you don't have one of those either. :D

You can run a newer controller if you cut your rocker box off the harness and add a Molex connector plug that will allow you to connect the new controller directly to you harness. You will have to add a ground wire to the harness in order to have the newer controller work. Not a difficult job.

Of course you could also cut the Molex plug off the newer controller and hardwire it to your old harness, but that method is a bit butch IMO. :salute:

3. Steve 455

Steve 455 Member

Cool so all the wires in the new controls harness are the same colors as the one in my harness???

Just match up the wires by color right???

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wire colors should match...you MAY have a gray/black instead of a red/black (as on the handheld) controller but they're for the same function so no issues there.

You also won't have a brown ground wire in your harness that the controller will have; and requires....so you'll need to add that one.

5. Steve 455

Steve 455 Member

Thanks I just ordered one today. :)

6. Steve 455

Steve 455 Member

Should I add a relay for the black power wire???? My headlights are all on a seperate circuit so no issues there.

The BOSS website shows the power wire to the controller going through a relay:confused:

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You conjoining old with new...no relay necessary.