1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I have a quick question need input fast!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Craftybigdog, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Hey guys I need to get more salt and I was gonna get a ton tomorrow and I was wondering does it hurt to let salt in 50lb bags sit outside if it is covered up and dry?
  2. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

no, I havn't had a problem with it, we have 4 pallets sitting outside at the shop right now and they're not covered or anything. as long as no moisture gets into the bags they will be ok.
  3. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Cool thats what I was thinking also, I just didnt want to load it into my shed man would that take a while!
  4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Whether you cover the pile with a tarp or not keep it out of the direct sun or you will end up with the salt bonding to itself into a lump.
  5. TLC Ken

TLC Ken Member

use a tarp

yeah, keep them covered most of the time. Salt is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water from the air. The wettest the air is usually in the winter is when the snow is melting on a warmer day. Also, even if you let them sit outside in the summer, which I've done, the sun weakens the plastic bags and when you go to pick them up 6 months later, they fall apart. Just in case you are wondering, spray paint overspray weakens the plastic too. Hey, it seemed like a good idea at the time.
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I keep my stock pile in a heated building during the winter and load out as needed. I have had mixed results with outside storage.
  7. hay guys i have pallets from last year that was covered and have had no probs yet god please let it snow a lot amen
  8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

This is one advantage that bagged salt has over bulk. It's individual air tight wrapping prevents clumping. For bulk, if it is covered tight, it's usually safe, because moisture that seeps through is limited and only absorbs into the very top surfaces. Many people keep lights going over them and this eats up alot of moisture, too. The truck I run bags in, I can carry around pallets all winter on the outside and it doesn't affect them. With bulk, you wouldn't dare do that, because one rain and/or real moist day, and you'll have a 3000# salt lick for deer. I learned the hard way.