1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I have a question ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Midwest BuildIt Inc, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

For those of you that plow or have plowed with a v-box spreader in the back of a pickup truck. How much would you say that it slows down your plowing? So if you were plowing at 100% with no v-box. how much do you think plowing those lots with a loaded v-box would slow you down.... I was guessing about 30% slow down....

or if that's confusing. lets say it takes you 100 minutes to plow with an empty pickup truck. 30% slow down would bump that number up to 130min to plow the same lot with a loaded v-box in the back....

Im not talking about 1000lbs, im talking plowing with about maybe 3-4 thousand pounds. A loaded v box.

Also take into account diff types of lots, some big and open with no traffic, some small with lots of traffic and apartment complexes. I realize that as your plowing the salt load will come off. but maybe not right away...

What are your thoughts....
  2. SGC08

SGC08 Member

Why would it slow you down? I prefer to plow with a full spreader for the extra traction. Its much nicer to cruise around the lots with the weight rather than spinning the tires the whole time. Need the ballast anyway. JMO
  3. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Less visibility plus more weight. It equals probably only about a 5% slow down.
  4. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

On tiny lots it could double your time just for manuevering time. eg we have a string of 5 car lots, apartment houses done with a short box, cuts 20% off them of regular 8 foot box. Add another 1.5 feet and it would take two twists to get around if at all.

5% on big open,
    100% on micro (under 10 car)
  5. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I think traction would be a positive or reduction in time.
    Visibility would be a negative or adding time.
    Extra length of truck would be a negative.

But if you had to run two trucks, 1 for plowing and 1 for salting, the additional time it takes with the spreader would make up for the additional truck time and labor.

I don't salt, so I'm just guessing.
  6. Midwest BuildIt Inc

only 4 responses...uggggg.. are my questions not worth answering....:angry:
  7. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I would answer it, but i dont get snow. Let alone plowing with a salter! I would think it would slow you down. More weight and being more cautious
  8. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

nope j/k

in the end I think it depends on what you are plowing . most guys here do comm. & res . if your do res . at 5 min a drive you could go 8 . so to be fair 30 % - 40 % comm only 20 %
  9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I used a F-350 with a v box in for about 4 years, back 8-10 years ago. First year im sure i lost 10-15 % productivity but after that i was more efficient than most guys without a salter in it. I got used to using my mirrors a lot more and the extra weight only helped. I also only probably had a ton of salt in it when we were plowing
  10. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I cant give you exact numbers but what I can do is give a rough idea, I have put a few hour in the truck which just this year we just put a 2 yard spread on. I am used to plowing with tailgate off Reg cab. I could see everything around me and would back up at 20mph and feel safe. Now with the salter its something I am having to get used to. Its like I have my dump truck again. I would say about 30% slow down in production. You just have to go slower due to the limited visibility to be safe. The weight, if your not overloading it is not a factor. Its great traction and the truck still drives great.
  11. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I don't use a v box, but I do carry 2,400 - 3,000 lbs of salt at any given time. As you already know added weight takes more time to stop and more time to accelerate. You also have to make turns a lot slower if you care about your suspension and drive train (and were not even talking about wear on brakes, if you were to drive at normal speeds when empty). Depending on the type of lot and its size, slopes, amount of traffic, if it's wide open or full of isle ways...(you get the idea), would all have to be considered. So...I would say that w/ the load that I carry, in some instances I probably add about one third to my time, over being empty, in other cases less. Since your talking about a v box which is a bit taller than the side rails of the truck, that would make you more top heavy and slow you yet a bit more. Your guess of 30% may be in the ball park. I don't know any magic formula, and pretty sure there isn't a "one size fits all". I guess thats where experience comes into play. It's a fair question...wish I had more clear of an answer. Any one that thinks that there is no difference I would have to assume that they are running w/ air brakes, an overbuilt suspension, really big gears, lots of hp, spreader is bolted directly to the frame w/ re-enforcement and probably also has some type of down rigging system (like wheel bars) off both sides of the truck to prevent any role overs...then I'd say yea, same speed as empty...unless of course the laws of physics cease to exist on there ride, then they clearly know something that I don't.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  12. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Not a stupid question.

After adding a V-Box to one of my plow trucks it was obviously taking longer to plow so I added dedicated salt trucks and for the plow trucks with the salters they would not load up until plowing was done. Not only takes longer(30%) also wears on the truck alot more than needed.

If your accounts are far from the salt piles then you dont have much of a choice.
  13. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

ok , i plow with a v box in my truck, and i also have other trucks without. heres what you have to keep in mind..

First , if you think you can load a Vbox and go plow with it full , or even partly full , its not a good idea if your not spreading it quickly . The manor in which the salt sits in a vbox, allows it to compact and under cold temps that can freeze and a fully loaded frozen v box is no fun. So , if you load it , you better spread it asap . if anyone is gonna stop and argue that go ahead... wait till yours freezes...and i promis you will never do it again.

once it has stopped snowing , depending on the temps you have more time, somecases all night , ...it just depends on yoru salt , and how wet it is ...how cold it is.... and yes treeted salt still does it

Visiblity/speed , well ..... ok heres the thing, i can plow at a quick rate with no spreader, and be safe... i can plow with a vbox, at a rate thats very close 90% or so..... But we all know , when you the boss is under the gun , and in a hurry , ...if we hopped in a truck with no tailgate, no spreader, and drove like a mad man , you could plow it 150% faster ...at least... but your truck takes a beating , and you really shouldnt be going that fast.... but yeah i can do it. But under onrmall plowing conditions you only loss 5- 10%

traction? thats debateable.... too much , and you can plow very fast.... sliding into curbs isnt fun for your plow. what i found best for durning the storm , is to stack a layer of 20 -30 bags of salt on top. With the price of bulk being so high , the cost difference these days between bulk and bagged is minimal , so ill gladely use the first .5 tons ( 20 extra cost) as Dry weight , then as needed ill spread it, then swithc to bulk. Thats up to you. I would highly avoid plowing with a full hopper all night long...

safty. 50% loss... so if you plow high traffic areas that require backign up during day time hours you might want to reconsider which truck gets sent to that account
  14. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Elite, you bring up a good point about the freezing...I've heard plenty of horror stories.
    Do you think that using a polly insert would buy a little more time over the steel box before a freeze up?
  15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've heard that windshield washer fluid is a good way to unfreeze a frozen spreader. Never tried it myself but heard it several times on here.
  16. elite1msmith

from chicago

waher fluid does work , but you need alot to de thew 4 tons.... poly insert?
  17. Midwest BuildIt Inc

thanks guys, And ive had to deal with a frozen v-box.....You will never allow it to freeze again once it happens to you once. trust me..
  18. elite1msmith

from chicago

anyway , if your already using your mirrors , then your not gonna loss that much time, you just need to be aware of things... its harder on yout truck ... and you loss the ablity to plow like a mad man if needed...
  19. Midwest BuildIt Inc

I already use my mirrors, its easy, i hate turning around to look. but i plow like a madman all the time. thats why i say it would slow down a good 30%.
  20. elite1msmith

from chicago

i higly doubt you plow like the mad man im thinking of...... im talking like smoking the tires, while shifting from D to R ...... throwing it down in 2 WD just to do a doughnut , so you can turn arond with out doing a 3 point turn..... stuff like that.... again , thats not how i plow 99% of the time, ...but if im time crunnched , its pretty insain