1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I have a question on 2005 HD Duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NW Andy, Aug 10, 2008.

1. NW Andy

NW Andy Junior Member

I am new to the site, first post, and have a question.

I have been plowing with a 1984 Chevy 1/2 ton, 6.2 diesel, for the last 3 years. I just bought a 2005 Chevy 3/4 ton with the Duramax diesel.

I was using the Blizzard 760 LT on the 1/2 ton truck, but want to go to the Blizzard speed wing. I want to put the new blade on the 2005 truck, and use the 84 for a backup.

The Blizzard site does not give any information on the 2005 diesel, only the gas engines. I have been reading this site and read a post that said to check out the weight on the front end, and I did. Seems like there are two front axles, one 4500 and a 4800. I have the 4500. Over on the Western site they recommend two plows for the 4500 axle, both weigh around 550 pounds.

My local dealer says I can put the 860SW on the 3/4 ton, and still use the 1/2 ton as a backup if needed. He said the 1/2 should be just fine with the 778 lb plow. The 760 weighs only 596, which is the same as the 760 LT I have now. I worry that maybe the extra 182 lbs may be to much for the 1/2 ton, and since the Western site only recommends the lighter plows, was also wondering if there would be a problem on the lighter axle on the 2005 3/4 ton.

The 1/2 has Timbrens on the front and 800 pounds of ballast in the back. Would also be putting Timbrons on the 3/4 ton.

Would appreciate any advice you may have.

Thanks.

Andy

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The 860 speed wing will be fine on your 05, don't even think twice about it. I might be a little more concerned about it being on your half ton but for the limited time it will be on there, it wouldn't worry me. JMO

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

100% agree, although it will be over on the FAWR...but you knew that already. :)

A few turns on the T-bars, proper ballast and possibly a set of Timbrens and it'll hold it just fine.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have 2 friends running 860 Speedwings. One on a 2005 Avalanche 1500 and the other on a 2003 Z71 Chev. They didn't make a 860 mount for the 1/2 ton trucks 3 years ago. I am not sure if they make one now. The 760 and 860 have different mounts. To get theirs to work they bought the 1/2 ton mounts and then had to cut the pieces on the mount off that the plow goes into and weld on new ones a little wider a part. The guy with the avalanche has his trucks for 3 years only and the guy with the Z71 is a clean/maintenance freak. They have both held up well. The guy with the Avalanche actually managed to bend the mounld board on his.

5. NW Andy

NW Andy Junior Member

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your advice.

You are right cet, they don't make a mount for the half ton truck, but the dealer said that would be no problem to adapt the one I have to make it work.

Thanks again.

Andy

6. Jason911

Jason911 Junior Member

Andy -

I too am new to the site, but not new to plowing. I am also running a '05 Duramax LLY: Chevy, extra cab. short box. And I have been using a Western Poly Pro 8ft with no weight problems. Have had this truck for 3 years and the the only 3 minor issues i had were a clogged fuel filter last winter, the automatic climate control fizzled out and the crappy GM steering shaft clunk. If you want to the the details of my truck I will be happy to fill you in.

Jason

7. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

you will be fine. I have 2 crew cab duramax's with 810's on them, so a speedwing no problem!

8. NW Andy

NW Andy Junior Member

Thanks or the input.

I am really glad I found this site, there is so much information here that helps those who have questions. I will be getting my new blade next month sometime, and getting things ready for winter. So far the truck is doing fine, no problems. Thanks again for your input.

Andy

9. NW Andy

NW Andy Junior Member

Thanks.

I am looking forward to using the speedwing plow. I have been reading all about them on the Blizzard site, as well as here, and they sound great. I plow my driveway and parking area, along with my business, self storage. I also plow for my brother in law at his storage. All in all it takes me about 4 hours, a little more if the snow has come off the roof of the storage buildings. Hope to cut my time down and maybe pick up a few other plowing jobs this year.

Andy