1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I have a question for you....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 79Chevy, Oct 1, 2003.

1. 79Chevy

79Chevy Junior Member

When I bought my truck it had a coat of primer on it in some places and a coat of primer over paint in other places..
    My question is, how far down do I sand it off to?
    Bare metal?
    In some places in my truck you can see discoloration, looks like the rust color is going through the primer.
    What I want to do is sand everything down and put a new coat of primer and eventually paint it...
    I am just not sure on how much to sand off...

Please help, thanks

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

If your unsure of the primer adhesion,or the possibility of rust under the primer\paint,then I'd go down to bare metal and start over.Then you know you've got it all.

3. 79Chevy

79Chevy Junior Member

THanks Chris!!
    :drinkup:

4. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Check around your area and see if "media blasting" is an option. It may be cheaper than buying a bunch of sand paper or chemical stripper. Some shops specialize in stripping paint. They will sand blast your truck with plastic pellets. It does a real good job and shouldn't warp the panels.

Be sure to prep it good, the prep work is the most important step.
    Use a good quality wax and grease remover. Be sure to get a primer for bare metal, Dupont's Variprime or Sikkens Washprimer CR come to mind. Then lay on a couple good coats of primer surfacer.

Don't wait too long to get some paint on it. Primers don't have any UV protection so the suns rays will cause it to deteriorate.

Good luck with your project,
    Mark K

Feel free to ask any more questions, I'll help as much as I can.