1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I have a chance to get an Ultramount MVP... opinions?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by weareweird69, Feb 17, 2015.

1. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

I have the chance to pick up a LAST model year 8'6" Western MVP Ultramount for 4300 installed onto my truck. IIRC, the MVP was last sold in 2009 or 2010. It is NOT the MVP Plus. I do not know if the setup has the old style headlights, or the nighthawks.

I am waiting on photos at the moment to get an actual idea of the condition.

Supposed to be garage kept, personal use, well maintained, and used little for clearing the owners driveway/parking areas.

I Currently have an 8'6" Uni-mount pro. Its seen better days, and I am ready to upgrade. I originally called the dealers to price new 8'6" Pro Plus and Pro series 2 blades, and he mentioned the MVP.

My question here is. Do you all think the MVP is worth that money being about 5 years old. AND is there anything I should be looking for on it in terms of wear, or rot, or common problems?

I do know it has a western deflector on it, and back drag edge. I think he said the skids are even with it.

Current owner wants to trade it into the dealer for an MVP 3 with the flared blades, but isn't in a hurry to sell it because he doesn't NEED to upgrade. He just wants to.

Thanks for any help!

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The old MVP had a rubber piece in the middle to bridge the gap between blades, they were a pain. I wonder who will do the install? The seller or a Western dealer? The seller isn't going to tell you what's wrong with it but a dealer will tell you if there are bad cables or anything else. There will be around $700 parts to do your install, you will need a truck side mount and a headlight harness unless the donor and recipient vehicle are the same year and model. Make sure they don't pull any tricks on you when they realize their mount and harness won't work on your truck.

3. weareweird69

I clarified the use of the new mount and wiring will be included. And the install is through the dealer.

I can't find any info on the MVP anywhere.

4. mishnick

5. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Drill a small drain hole in the plastic manifold cover for the bottom coils. Did that with mine after replacing seized coils from water collecting. No issues since.

I would also suggest beefing the light tower up with welding either c channel or some other method. The light tower failing is a common problem. Not a big deal, but not exactly fun when the light tower snaps in the middle of the night, not to mention mega $$$ for a new one. Short chaining isn't an option here. There's a thread somewhere on here of a guy doing this modification with pictures.

Other than that, pretty solid plow.

6. weareweird69

I meant info on what the features and what not are. Everything shows up as an MVP Plus.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll have to try and find that thread. I just don't want to buy it. Then end up not liking it or having issues. The rubber flap kind of deters me. Because I have major ocd when I clean lots.

7. weareweird69

I wonder if the mvp plus center cutting edges will work

8. mishnick

MVP + cutting edges need to be modified to fit but note that at the rubber flap does a cleaner job, they just don't last as long as + edges. The tower breaking as s good point, check that the four bolts at the base of the tower are tight. The problem usually starts when they are loose.

9. weareweird69

Thank you For the tips.

I'm torn between getting this mvp. Or a new pro plus 8'6. At 5200.

10. mishnick

I would go with the pro plus. It's a very strong plow. Single cutting edge, only three valves, multiplex and its s néw plow!

11. weareweird69

That's kinda what I was thinking. They describe this plow as like new. That's the only reason I considered it. If they ever get me photos. It's an option. But if I see any Rust. I'm out

12. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Not saying I disagree with you when considering the tightness of the bolts but I had the dealer tell me that I over torqued the bolts, therefore causing the light tower to fail. Something like 49 ft lbs on the 4 bolts :rolleyes:

13. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Here's the thread that's full of good information/pics about beefing up an ultra.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=101038

14. mishnick

If you over torque those four bolts they will either break or stretch, in both cases effectively leaving them loose. Every time I inspect an old ultra I loosen the lift chains and try to shake the head gear. If the bolts are loose the head gear will move, this movement eventually results in the base of the tower breaking off. When I say "tighten" them I don't mean 400 ft/lbs, I just mean tighten until the head gear doesn't move. As for your dealer telling you they were over torqued.... sounds to me like he was trying to get out of doing free warranty work to me. Think about it, look at what those bolts clamp onto. When you tighten them the lift frame tube actually bends / swells a bit until it collapses to the point where the front and back walls of the tube pinch the anchor post. After it hits bottom, if you keep tightening, the bolt will break. I can't help wondering how "your dealer" determined that you had over tightened those bolts? Usually, after a few years, they are so rusty and seized that they just break when you try to loosen or tighten them. I work at a Western dealership too, have been on the Western course numerous times but have never heard of any problem with over tightening theses. Tell your dealer I said he was full of #hit.

Getting off track a bit.... sorry guys.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  15. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

It sounds expensive to me, and it has to be older than 2009. I just checked our history and 2006 was the last time we bought 63819 blades, and late 2006 was the first of the 44485's we bought.
    Here, I even still have the preseason book from 2006 where they announced the mvp+, along with Nighthawk lights, and multiplex wiring.

100_3079.jpg

16. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

That's how I installed it, kept tightening until the tower didn't move. I was rather angry after the parts manager deflected and said I "abused" the part and that Western's position on all towers that were folded like this, is tough *****, no warranty. I just welded a piece of 5" tubing around the bottom on both sides. It has held up quite well.

The dealer is a big part of the reason why I'll never own another Western. Thank you for validating that not all dealerships operate this way with poor excuses.

Anyways, I'll quit hijacking the thread.