1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I have a bunch of questions, and I want them answered immediately!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MoreSnowInCanad, Feb 10, 2009.

1. MoreSnowInCanad

MoreSnowInCanad Junior Member
    from Toronto

:gunsfiring::yow!:

:salute:

(btw the title is a joke and these smiles are cool tymusic)

I have read some conflicting info on this site.

Do I need to buy a truck with a "snow plow package" (what is that anyway)

Do I need a truck with extra "tranny cooling"

Do I need to re inforce the fram of the truck.

I am looking to buy a dodge ram 2500 5.9L

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

No you do not need to buy one with a plow package unless you are buying new. As far as what it is depends on brand. Usually bigger alternator and a heavier front end.

YOu do not need an extra transmission cooler but I do recommend it. You can add an after market. They are easy to install and pretty cheap.

Nothing needs to be done to frame unless it is cracked .

3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

snow plow package is usally a heavier amp alternator, thats important. Also skid plates underneath ........not as important. With the diesel ya probably have enough but it is important to have a tranny cooler on it. No ya dont have to reinforce the frameof the truck if ya plow with intelligence. You might want to reinforce it if the bank turns ya down for a loan and ya decide to get their money afterhours by making a drivethru to the safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

5.9 gas or diesel?

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If the truck is new (5.9L?) get the plow prep. It's less then $100 and besides parts upgrade gives you strength in warranty situations. If the truck has SPP you get all the HD parts the factory thinks you need to carry the additional loads produced by the snowplow. They skimp on things, upgrade the wire from the alternator to the battery. Think about Timbrens or airbags help to handle any significant loads. As for the frame, there are not a lot of reports of Dodge frames failing (there will be a flood of posts proving me wrong) Install a factory produced mount to assure the loads are properly distributed and the mounting points properly placed.

6. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

if he is buying a 5.9L he is buying used

Gas motors 5.7L and 6.1L Hemi and 6.7L CTD

7. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

But the Diesel 5.9 they are still under warranty

8. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

If you are purchasing new as posted then your better off to get the plow package as it usually includes larger alternator, second battery and sometimes includes an additional cooling fan. If you are not buying new then you can always add these items if necessary however if you are strictly plowing you shouldnt have a problem depending on the size of plow you intend to carry. As for the frame, again as long as you stay within the gross maximum weight restrictions of the vehicle you dont have to worry about the frame. You can also add timbrens althought they arent usually necessary on the Dodge again depending on the size and weight of your plow.

Hope it helps...

9. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

"who is your daddy, and what does he do?!"
    "who told you you could eat my birthday cake, on my birthday?!"
    "im detective john kimble!"

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

!

arnold!!!!

11. MoreSnowInCanad

MoreSnowInCanad Junior Member
    from Toronto

"I am a cop you idiot!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix25cCy0xRs

BTW: I am looking at getting 2005 dodge ram, the 5.9 is the diesel.

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  12. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

That will be an awesome plow truck.