1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I have a 2002 dodge ram im putting a plow on need help

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by bigmudder77, Aug 1, 2008.

1. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

ok i have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 that im gonna be putting a plow on i hope now when i put the plow on will i need to add electric cooling fans? i seen alot of people do that with there plow trucks just wondering if i should do that

also any thing else i should do?

i already have the flashing lights and getting the whole plow tomorrow just need to know what else i should do before i put it on the truck

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Theoretically you shouldn't NEED an auxiliary electric fan or fans to keep it cool. The mechanical fan with a good heavy duty clutch upgrade should be enough... but wait until you try it with the plow before you do anything as far as cooling, may not need to do a thing to it.

What size/style plow you installing?

3. bigmudder77

from wooster

well i have a 7 1/2 ft western plow im gonna put on

here is the pic

[​IMG]

its not the best pic but i just got it

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your putting a conventional mount/cable drive on an '02? Whats the mount originally for? Looks to be pre- '98 GM, pre-'99 Ford or pre-'94 Dodge judging by the pic.

5. bigmudder77

from wooster

will it work? i just got it cause it was $300 for it all

and it came off a 1979 chevy truck

and he hooked it up and it lifted and went from side to side didnt seem like it was having any thing wrong with it i made sure i had him leave it on till i seen it work cause for $300 i thought it would be junk but it all works plow lights look new and stuff so thats why i got it i wanted to put it on my 95 dodge ram but it acts like the tranny is messed up and needs about $500 front end work done so ya dont really wanna spend the money but i might if i cant get it to work on this 02

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

sell the Dodge and put it back on an 70's chev......

jmo...lol

What will it take to make it work?
    A lot of cheep :drinkup: and a lot of wasted welding rod...

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sell the lights and he pump, scrap the black iron, add the $500 for front end work, the ?$$$$ for trans work and the $$$ you'll spend making this sucker work poorly and buy a plow made for your 02. it'll be cheaper in the long (and short) run.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

But a good one. Hadn't thought of that:salute:

9. bigmudder77

from wooster

i can get a 70s chevy with out selling the dodge but how good will it be? if its nice i wouldnt wanna put a plow on it and if its junk i dont wanna do all kinds of work JUST to put a plow on it

and i looked at full plow set up for my truck like $4800 out the door $5600 for them to instal it with a 3 year warrenty out the door has a year warrenty i dont have that money to put in a plow that im gonna use for 5-6 houses you know

and used plows for an 02 1500 are REALLY hard to find

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Scab together plow trucks are money pits.

I'm a bit of a drive but I have a "LIKE NEW" 7'6" MT unit, $2,500 C&C

11. bigmudder77

from wooster

what would i need to do to get it on my 2002?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A couple tanks of gas, cash in hand, and a forklift at Basher's place. :nod:

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I have the forklift:nod:

If you're (or anybody) interested call 18884482464 between 8-5 M-F

14. pashtrd

pashtrd Member

I put one on my 01. It is not that hard. I was in the same boat as you. I bought a western for $400. It took me another $50 worth of steel and my time to install it. Go ahead and do it.
    Matt

15. bigmudder77

from wooster

i was looking at my mount and i can get it to bolt up to it with a torch and a hammer i only need to move it about a half an inch but i dont know how good it would be since im hooking up to a different spot than i should be but i think it can be done dont know how good it will be or if i hit a bump how safe it would be for all the weight of the plow and stuff i dont want it to fall off and me run over it and mess up the whole front end of my truck

i have a 1995 i might just sell that and buy a new set up for my truck but i kinda like the 1995 to keep cause i can beat it up and not worry about it

but on the same note id like to have a SAFE plow truck

16. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Sell all the stuff and start over lol. Unless you want to go through the mess of getting all that straightened out.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  17. bigmudder77

from wooster

cant find used thats with in a 100 miles of me or even 200 for that matter and new is $4000 and up not what i wanna spend on a new plow to only have it a year 2 tops

18. pashtrd

pashtrd Member

seriousely, you have a good working plow that you bought for cheap. Are you mechanically inclined? If so, buy some square tubing and make this work. I did. I have an 01 Dodge Ram with a 7.5' conventional plow on it. I put mine on This January, and it paid for itself 4 times over, and i only had 1 account. Throw this on your truck, and start saving for a new / newer one. As long as you brace it as well as it was on the Chevy you will be fine. just do it!
    Matt

19. bigmudder77

from wooster

see what im scared of is it breaking the welds or the pipe i use and have the plow end up under my truck messing up the engine and tranny and every thing else

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Find a rig made for your truck.