1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i have a 180 watt strobe pack, any leds comparable

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by AintNoFun, Sep 18, 2011.

1. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

i have a 8 outlet 180 watt whelen box from my old truck i just traded in. this thing is megaaaa bright. i wanted to switch to led HAWS (for ease of installation and reliability) but looked at all the youtube videos and they dont seem to be that bright during the day. i actually think they seem pretty poor... im assuming there aren't any that will be bright as the strobes i got now?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. 1969BSA

1969BSA Junior Member
    from montana

led's

I just put a set of these
    http://sirennet.com/snl3sn.html
    on the mirrors of my dodge, and i have a set of them on the side and rear of my headache rack. They are crazy bright at night (i have a seperate switch for the sides so i can shut them off as they bounce off the buildings i'm plowing near) and have very good visibility at night. They take very little power and don't put off any heat.

3. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

i was looking for hideaways though, like to keep the outside of the truck clean looking..

4. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

If you go with Clear tubes the strobes are still pretty bright although the LEDs have come a long way. The color you get with LEDs is second to none compared to strobes that really looked very washed out at best. Take a look at the Vertex, sound Off, or the Strobesnmore brand all of which are very good hide a way lights and all very bright.

5. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Those LEDs you linked too are actually the Sound Off LED3 and we carry them as well as a few others that are all very good lights.

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

i messed around on youtube for like 45 mins today and didn't see any that impressed me in the day light. they look awesome in lower light conditions, do you have any videos of the products you sell?

7. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

High wattage strobes will still out perform LEDs. LEDs are super bright, but the strobes still out shine them.

The big advantage to LEDs is that they can fit into more places than strobes, a bit more flexible and use a lot less power.

For corners in your headlights/taillights i would stick with strobes if you already have them.

8. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

gotcha thats kinda what i figured... they do look great at night, but most of our roadwork takes place during the day so its not help, lol

looking at the taillights in my new truck (2011 f350) looks like im goign to have a hell of a time getting in strobe tubes. has anyone done this yet?

9. maelawncare

Yes, its not that bad. Unless your talking about putting them into the reverse. Then well, good luck with that.

10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

haha that was def one of the spots i wanted them in.. is it hard or impossible?

11. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Good question. Are Gen III LED's the brightest?

Is there any comparison between Hide-away LED's and various wattage strobe pack wattage?

12. maelawncare

only the high wattage strobes are better than the leds, and yes the Gen III are the brightest. Unless you come across some SMD Gen III. Those are sick! But almost no one makes them. Most SMD are not as bright as Gen III but have a much better spread. Wow, how the hell do i know this, i cut grass for a living. lol

13. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

i had my mechanic put my whelen system in.. very happy with it...