1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I have a 12 x 12 area. Will it store 25tons?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Ropinghorns, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

Planning to concrete the floor of what is going to be my salt storage shed. Coming up 12 inches above the concrete surface on both sides and back to reinforce the heavy metal walls that I am placing on the inside against this 12 inch lip. Will this hold 25 tons of salt? If so, how high will I need to stack it? [can you tell I am a newby?]

2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

1 cu. yd = 3' x 3' x 3'

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you use all 12' wide and come out 9' you will need to stack it 6' high.

4. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

I have an area 16x12x4 and can keep about 26 tons in it with it being stacked 5'-6' in the middle and sloping off on the sides to about 3'. I am sure I could get more in there if I had to, but 12x12 would be pretty tough unless the walls were 4' and filled to the max.

5. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Not even close. Closer to 24'x24' with a 12" lip

6. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

12' x 12' x 4.26'

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

So you think he's building a salt shed 12" high, that's pretty funny.

8. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I just reread the original post, I only picked up on the 12" lip the first time. I didn't pickup on the metal wall part, oops.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not picking on you, I just thought it was pretty funny. I read it a couple of times also.

10. Ropinghorns

I take that as a yes. I can get 25 tons stacked how high, in a 12 x 12 area?

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Your answer is there. If you use all 12' deep the 4.6 feet high. If you use 9' deep then 6' high.

12. Ropinghorns

"Oh. I see "said the blind man. Takes me a while cause I'm from Oklahoma. We move slow, and think slow. Thanks for your help.