1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I have 93 F350 XL with bad 351W

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Milwaukee, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Well I got this for free. But f350 sure look strong plus it 2wd but I could put weight on rear bumper then it can push much snow.

Found that 351 is junk. It threw rod then put softball's hole on block. It big hole.

Guy say he bought from business. Business owner say driver was abuse this truck by slam on gas pedal all time. he say his worker claim saw his rev to 5,000 rpm.

Now anyone know 351 with 4 barrel carb will work with fuel injector? Change intake?

I can't find 351 with fuel injector on craiglist plus they are crackhead want $1,000 for 351 with 100,000 miles on it.
  2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

The 351 aren't as easy to get as the cheby 350, but close enough.

Sounds like you need what they call a long block - a new block with rotating assembly and heads - you put your intake and all acces on it.

if the old heads are good, just get a new remanufactered short bloock which is the block and rotating, switch out all the old stuff.

it's really sorta easy if you've done this type of stuff before, but it sounds like you haven't.
  3. Milwaukee

Well since new block is too much for this truck I got for free.

Well we have brand new 302 in our garage so I am think. Owner which is my best friend say it will work ok. He say 302 and 351 is almost exact but just 49 cubic different.

I say it won't work so he and my boss say we been work on lot trucks for almost 30 years we did put 302 it work ok.

Well i say ok hope it work so they say don't worry it will work ok but not torque like diesel.

Truck is this one. It suppose to be dually but it switch to single tires to save money due expense tires.

You see white box it will be remove because I don't need those all time. I am think put flatbed or bed from 89 F250.

4. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

The 302 will have less torque and hp but will go right in there with a few differences:

Check the years, Ford changed the firing order somewhere along the line.

Same thing with harmonic balancer, offset weight changed sometime, flexplate has to match the balancer.

Deck height is shorter so some belts may need changed.

The fuel injection will really cause problems, pre 89 is volumetric and very hard to tune, after is mass air and requires $$$ to get right. Carburator........
  5. Milwaukee

Well I have question will 351's intake and fuel injector fit 302? Because my Uncle did swap on 94 F250. He say he got 302 out 69 Cougar but didn't tell me where he get fuel injector or intake. I forgot to ask his that my fault for not remember ask his where he get it.

Well I know flexplate but cost $80 at dealer. Which flywheel for this? Transmission is C6.

I would like anyone on chatroom so i can ask lot question about engine than type on post and wait for several hours.
  6. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

The intakes will not swap out. If it's a 69 302, it's the old style firing order and offset weight (they changed in the 80's I think). I'd suggest calling someone like Lane automotive, summit racing or jegs - they are high performance people which you don't need but they do know about older motors, namely that 69 - they have to have that TDS ?? system so that you two can "talk" together.
  7. Milwaukee

Well when I look at 302 that he put in F250 I say it look exact to my engine in F350.

I think he could put 351's stuff on 302 and make work it. i did drive this truck before I say it have plenty power plus pull stump but notice when it got good traction it not spin just raise rpm until it start spin. I say drive until chain is tight that around 2,000 rpm but when it start tight it need rev to 2,500 to spin tires. I believe gear ratio is 3.55

And I want know if 89 302 and 93 351 will interchange parts? I just want put intake and sensors from 351 on 302.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The 89 and 93 parts should interchange.
  9. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

The intakes will not, the motors do look the same but they are different. The deck height on the 351 is higher, there fore the heads are farther appart, therfore the intake will not fit.

Sensors will interchange but the mass air from the 93-351 is calibrated differently than the mass air on the 89-302, if the 302 is mass air, it was 88 or 89 when the change occured from volumetric to mass air.

You cobble crap together and you'll get sucked intake gaskets and a motor that won't get out of it's own way.
  10. Milwaukee

Well we will leave 302 and drop in f350 see if it work.

Do you know where get cheap flexplate for 302 with C6?
  11. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i did the same thing with my 86 F250 with C6 trans. originally had a 351 that was blown, i had a 302 in the garage, so i put in the 302. it plows fine, but i wouldn't want to tow much more than my 20 foot boat with it.
    this was years ago i did this, but i recall the 302 and 351 were balanced differently, so i was not able to use the 351 flywheel/flexplate. the intake, heads (larger diameter bolts on a 351), distributor, and oil pan were different. the engine accesory brackets are different too due to the increased deck height of the 351. but the motor mounts and bellhousing pattern are the same, so it should drop right in where ever a 351 was. the exhaust manifolds are the same, but again, due to the deck height, they will exit at different locations, so be prepared to modify your exhaust. my advice is to find a 100% complete 302 to drop in. then just swap the flywheel and modify the exhaust. and a 302 car oil pan won't work in the truck. find a pan from a 302 that was in a truck - it will hold 6 quarts as opposed to 4 and the humps are in different locations due to cross member differences. this is all going from memory - like i said, i did this a long time ago, so i may have forgotten a detail or two....
  12. Milwaukee

Too much work for me.

I found 90's 351 from F250 2wd. will that work or no? He say it have 80,000 miles it run great.
  13. bigmike1289

bigmike1289 Junior Member

a 351 winsdor and a 302 will fit up to a c6 tranny np and yes there is a fuel injection kit for both just look for it at summitracing.com id recommend putiing all new ghaskets on the engine and if ur gonna keep it for a while get it rebuild with a hotter cam that gives more hp and torque also if ur gnna swap one for the other ur gonna have to make new motor mounts and i think broncograveyard.com has them for the superdutys
  14. bigmike1289

bigmike1289 Junior Member

a 351 would make a hell of a lot more torque which is what u need and plus the its more economical on fuel cause of the power