1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I have 2 Problems

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by jrr02005, Oct 20, 2010.

1. jrr02005

jrr02005 Junior Member

1st is that I can't drive a stock vehicle. I don't know what it is about a bare bones vehicle, but I just can't do it.

2nd is that I can't call it mine until I put some blood, sweat, and lots of curse words into it.

This summer I had some time and decided to pimp my work truck. First off let me start by saying I'm sorry, I suck at taking pictures, secondly here are some links (for any of you audiophiles) to the components that I used.

Component Speakers
    http://www.cdtaudio.com/hd_series_08.htm# (Mine are the HD62CF's)

Now for some pics

Dash Before.JPG

Dash Durring.JPG

Fitting the Unit.JPG

HU Installed.JPG
  2. jrr02005

jrr02005 Junior Member

Some more pics

The Box.JPG

Door Speakers.JPG

Box + HU.JPG
  3. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

nice work...........
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

My head is tilting every which way following the last couple pics LOL looks good though!
  5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

nice pictures , what else are you going to do.
  6. jrr02005

jrr02005 Junior Member

Oh! and I almost forgot my disclaimer:

I probably put in over 100 hours in just on getting that thing to fit. First off building the spacers because a double din HU is more narrow than a 1.5 din unit, and then all the time in getting the new opening to look like it was supposed to be that way was absolutely painstaking. As you can see from the pics I got it real close, and then one day after taking it on and off for the millionth time I accidentally popped it on without the holes lined up correctly. That is why it is cracked in 2 of the corners and I haven't had the mental fortitude to go back and fix it.

The only other thing I'm less than thrilled about is the paint I used to match the trim to the rest of the dash. I went to an auto body shop and ordered some vinyl paint with the trucks color code for about $35. Firstly it didn't match that close, and secondly even after cleaning the piece and using an adhesion promoter it still didn't bond as it should have..........again one of these days I will probably go back and fix it, but no time soon.
  7. jrr02005

jrr02005 Junior Member

Nothing else interior. I can hook the head unit up to my Zune (microsoft's ipod) and watch movies, or listen to all my music off that, or play music directly off a thumb drive or external hdd. It's all I could ever ask for.

Exterior I cranked the bars up in the front, and put a toneau cover on it.
  8. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

looks nice man. wheres the sub box . middle console?
  9. jrr02005

jrr02005 Junior Member

Yup, I built the box to fit the profile of the floor and to squeak out as many cubic inches as possible whith out making it too tall. Then I just mounted the arm rest/center compartment on top of it. It came out to 1.69 cubic feet minus the area the sub occupies. I then ran several trials with an spl meeter to determine how much poly fill I should stuff it with. The sub is set up to downfire, it gives it a much less directional sound.
  10. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

that looks really good!, you should see what i had to do to get 6x9's in the front door of our 02 HD...
  11. jrr02005

jrr02005 Junior Member

Well I know it would have to involve some cutting, and more than likely some spacing so the magnet clears the window regulator.
  12. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

yep, jigsaw to the metal inner door panel and a 3/4" plywood plate custom cut that the 6x9 is attached to which in turn is affixed to the door panel. then some custom bending on the speaker grilles to get them to clear the 6x9.

wish i wouldve just gone with a component system rather than those 3ways. oh well, dads driving that truck now...
  13. starc

starc Senior Member

When your stuck in the thing all winter...all what you did comes into play. It's kinda like your home, toys are great in a warm cab in a snow storm.
  14. jrr02005

jrr02005 Junior Member

That's what pushed me over the edge, I knew i was going to be spending a lot of time in it.
  15. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

16. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Very nice install looks stock