1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i hate this freaking ford

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PremierLand, Nov 20, 2004.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I go outside this morning at 5am to start working (go pick up the trailer, eat come breakfast then drive 20miles to the city i have about 10 lawns in).. in case ya didnt know i do landscaping and I cut lawns, today was lawn day....

I go to start the ford up, hasnt been started sense last saturday. long story short, the oil pressure dropped, i cant find where the oil went, (nothing on the ground) it needed a quart, i wasnt blowing out smoke or anything out the exhaust, just CO2.

so i put oil in it, and it wont acceclerate, it just chugs. man i hate this truck, i paid 3500 for it, and so far put $2700 into fixing it (rear main, and tranny rebuilt) and now this... I havent even driven it 500miles sense I got her.

at least i learned young.... Im NEVER EVER buying 1 -a truck that has been off road. 2 -More than 3 years old.

oh well, at least i know now. Im just pist that i put all this money into it and i know i wont beable to get as much out of it as i put into it.

not to mention i spent 500 on the hitch and brake controller.

Im probably just going to get this fixed, get a major tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, all that good stuff, oil change, tranny change, diff change), throw a plow on her, and just beat her into the living ground and hope she lasts through the winter. unless i can sell it and brake even or minus a few hundo.

oh and i managed to make it to the gas station, and on the way out it was super foggy at 5am and i had it in 4x4 cause it was pouring rain and the turning radius was so bad i almost went head on with a cop. but maybe the turning radius was so bad because the engine had like noooo compression idk.

i just hate it and want to get rid of it, but i know ill have to take a major loss. i dont mind taking a loss, but i dont want to take to big of one.

anyway i had to use the dakota for work today :(
    I swear, my next truck is going to be sooo much newer, and better and a diesel, even if it takes me 5 years to save up, i dont care, i can use the dakota for lawns and just the snowblower in the back of the bed, then in 5 years get a nice diesel, but maybe sooner like 2years instead. I could have paid about 11 months on a NEW diesel ram 3500 with the money ive put into this ford. oh well, live and learn.

ahhhh i needed to vent, sorry for the rambleing.... i just needed to get it off my chest, i feel much better now, thanks doc plowsite. lol
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Hey post it in the Ford Truck Forum with more info.
    It could be alot of things, probably not major.
    What year is it? Could be the ignition module on the distributer.
    Could be in limp in mod because somethings not sensing.
    The fuel filter could be clogged or low pressure?
    A plug wires off or broke.
    A $15 single model manual at AutoZone can help you get to the bottom of it.
  3. PremierLand

from detroit

its a 94...

i see what your saying. im thinking maybe spark plugs and wires will help... but......... WHERE DID THE OIL GO! It wasnt smoking anything other than CO2, and there were no spots on the driveway.

I was thinking maybe a front seal, but if it was, wouldnt there be leaks and smoke coming out the tailpipe?

my dad was a mechanic for a long long time, he had his own shop for a while, then decided to go to school and get a phd, but he still has all his tools, and im sure when i talk to him tommarow he will probably be able to tell me what is wrong...

but i needed to vent, thats why i posted this.... plus to see what you guys think the problem is.... thanks... wish me luck :waving:
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have not owned a Ford truck yet that has not used oil!
    Mine always leaked from the rocker cover gaskets.
    Then again:
    My wifes Windstar has a 3.8 -V6 and uses 1 Qt between changes, 3k miles.
    When it's a QT low I know it needs a change. This is the second 3.8 I have owned and it's the same thing.
    It's just a truck thing that it used a QT of oil on you.
    I would bet it ain't a big repair on your truck,Fords are built tough,I have seen many go down the road with MANY FAILURES and still run!!
  5. PremierLand

from detroit

so basically i should change it, change the filter, and keep an eye on it. and if it uses up a quart RIGHT away then its something to worry about, but if its over time its nothing to worry about really as long as you keep an eye on it?

is this correct? thanks
  6. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

On my 90 ford f250 i had a sudden oil pressure drop on my gauges.It turned out to be the oil pressure sending unit(believe thats what its called).I would check that, its a cheap part and easy fix.My gauges read almost no oil pressure i changed that and it went right back up.Sometimes they get gunked up with nasty oil and it doesn't read the pressure right.It may be a dealer only part but its still cheap even from them.

Also sounds like you need a good tune up.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  7. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

If your truck has a catalytic converter it will burn the oil in the exhaust before it exits the tailpipe.Need more info before any diagnosis can be achieved.Try testing the fuel pressure as it will give similar symptoms as well as a clogged fuel filter.Btw one of my 88 blazers uses about a quart of oil per week and it is burning it and does not smoke but since this is only a plow truck I am able to change 1 spark plug and it keeps running fine.
  8. Personal Plow

Personal Plow Junior Member

I have a 90 Dodge 318 with 180 thousand miles, it uses a Quart every 1,000 miles with nothing on the ground and nothing out the pipe BUT runs fine :confused:

Have a garage with the proper equipment test your truck. It could save allot of time and money.

9. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I would check the PCV valve it could be sucking oil up.
    Also I would check it (oil) after it sits over night then run it for a few mins and then shut it off for a few mins and check the oil if it's much lower then I would think there is a blockage some place on the returns.

1999 F250 PSD
    1994 F250 351
    1986 Ranger 514 cid just going fast
  10. proshare

proshare Member

Make sure the ignition coil has good ground, they get rusty where they mount and cause lots of weird intermittent problems.
    Tune-up parts will help & dont forget the fuel filter.
    All the major electrical connections should be dis-assembled and cleaned, battery/starter/Solenoid/cables..etc,etc
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  11. PremierLand

from detroit

i put oil in it, drove it for 5miles, it used about 34th of a quart in 5miles... arghhhhh.... im going to get it looked at this weekend.
  12. PremierLand

from detroit

Alright im getting it fixed hopefully friday. Im taking it to my dads and were going to figure this out. (he was a mechanic for many years)....

anything else I should mention to him?
  13. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry to hear about your truck, but for gods sake, don't beat the piss out of it, after all the money you put into it. Just be nice to it and it will hopefully be nice to you. It seems that you have alredy taken some steaps to maintain it so hopefully (after lots of $) you now have all the bugs worked out and have a useable rig for the winter and maybe longer. You seem to know how to maintain a truck and your father is a great reference, so go easy on it. :drinkup:
  14. PremierLand

from detroit

Yes, im going to take it easy, but when you think about it... Any truck used for plowing or towing, isnt going to be taken easy on...

But i do my best, i dont floor it, and i dont beat the piss out of it...

I had to order the pump... so monday after school we should have her running...

Thanks again!
  15. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Are you getting the 760 soon :drinkup:
  16. kit

kit Junior Member

The pressure might be low because the sensor is clog with oil or soot in the oil. try using a half a liter of transmission fluid this will clean up and soot spots in the engine and might help refresh the valve guides. the use of oil is common if it is due for an oil change as the oil breaks down if will start to burn .My truck goes thought a liter of oil then when it needs an other liter I just change it and it good for 3-4 k miles. Throttle response might be as simple as the sensor on the throttle body. Does it downshift at all if not it is the sensor.
    good luck
  17. PremierLand

from detroit

ill have it all back together tommarow, so ill know for sure how its running... I replaced the oil pump because it was just the filter that had to be cleaned, but sense the filter had to be cleaned, i mine as well replace the pump... I also cleaned out the intake (there was sooooo much carbon build up, it wasnt even funny) and i replaced the plugs (they were the original plugs, lol).

So yeah, as long as it works tommarow ill be ordering the plow, and then it takes a week for them to get it in stock, then ill be driving 200miles to get it installed... I cant wait...