1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I hate speed bumps.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bdlawncare, Jan 22, 2012.

1. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Okay so i was driving around yesterday during the snowstorm, and one of the street plows knocked over the speed bump sign. So i hit it at 25 MPH... The plow jumped up and now it doesnt seem to raise as high and it seems to be leaking from the hydrolic lift arm. WTH? what do you think happened.. blew a seal? anything else i should check.. Btw the plow didnt hit the ground. any ideas and help will be apprecaited.

2. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

check the lift arm seals AND the washer locked in place at the bottom of the ram.

3. birddseedd

might want to check all of the connections from youre plow to truck, just in case

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Check the u-bolts that connect the chains to the a-frame. Alo have a look underneath the truck at the mount where it secures to the truck frame. If the plow won't go up as high as before you have either bent something one the mount, bent the frame or stretched the bolts that hold it. Take a good look my friend because I have seen plows come into my shop hanging by threads. Chevys are the worst for ripping out of the frame. Uni-mounts seem to come loose more frequently but I think that is only because they are older. In time I am sure I will see ultras ripping out tool. Another thought to check out is the bottom of the headlight tower. There are two long bolts on each side that hold the tower to the a-frame. All the weight of the plow, suspended by the chains and lift frame bare down on that point. Sometimes when the plows get a few years old they get rusty down there and crack. That might explain the elevation problem too.

5. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Man I really hope not... It was the first time out with this plow... I really didn't hit it that hard and it didn't strike an object... I can't believe bouncing could bend the frame but I guess stranger things have happened

6. mishnick

If the plow doesn't come up as high as it did then something hadt to give. Probably not so serious as I suggested but these are the things that could have been damaged. Just a matter of having a look and eliminating the possiblilites. That way you can roll down the road with the confidence that the plow isn't haning by one bolt and about the fall off.

7. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Okay well I will take a better look in the morning but... i checked quickly outside and the frame on the truck seems to be sitting level along with the mounting tounges on the plow side... The u Bolts look fairly straight but cant see to well like i said its dark outside. Basically what i think happened is the force came down and blew out the seal on the lift arm. Is it possible that this is why its not lifting as high? its leaking pretty bad and running down the arm. I think since it was fully extended it took alot of the shock... but hey you never know.. i will check better in the am... just wondering if it was a possibility that the shock took most of the impact and thats why it wont lift as high. Just wondering thanks for the suggesttions!

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

If it is leaking most likely you are low on fluid now and it will not have enough to lift all the way.

9. mishnick

If there is a leak that is a whole different story of course. But I thought the issue was going over a speed bump too fast? When did the leak come into the story? Plow goes this high before speed bump, plow goes not as high immediatly after speed bump, no leak mentiond = something bend or stretched.

10. birddseedd

11. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

so i see it leaking down the arm bringing it to the dealer wednesday.. to have them fix it.. everything looks straight... other than the leak

12. mishnick

Oh no, my bad, I feel like an ass. There was a leak mentioned :dizzy: I feel like a fool. :laughing:

13. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

could that be whats causing my problems?!

14. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

If its leaking, you are probably low on fluid= it won't fully lift.

15. mishnick

You probably damaged the gland nut on the top of the lift ram. There is a pressure relief valve in the lift curcuit but it is behind the valve the hold it up. When you hit the speed bump the intertia of the plow not wanting to lift instantainiously would have generated extremly high pressure in the lift ram. You probably only need a gland nut but I would have them examine the threads very carefylly because sometimes they can get damaged in this kind of situation. Most of the time when this happens it's because the plow was brought in from the cold and parked in a warm shop with the lift ram up to the max. What happens in this case is the fluid expands as it warms up and can't escape because, as I said before, the pressure relief valve is on the other side of the valve that hold the plow up. As the fluid warms and expands the pressure increases until something gives. Usually what gives is the threads on the gland nut. It will push the gland nut right out. The gland nut is cast iron and the ram tube is steel so the damage usually is limited to the gland nut threads but not always. This probably will not be warranty so don't let them push a whole new ram on you. The gland nut is easy to change and should be all you need.

If your lift height was a result of low fluid you should have heard a change in the sound of the pump & motor when they max out. When the reservoir gets too low and the pump starts sucking air the motor sounds like it is spinning freely. You could just top it up and try it. Even if there is a small leak it will still go up all the way until the level drops too low again.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  16. birddseedd

side question, how tight shoudl you get the nut? old cable conventional western. also, why did i not have the wiper washer or what is it called? the white one that is the very top plastic part just before the nut. i put it on when i reubilt the lift ram, but i never removed one with the original seals. the nut wont thread all teh way in like before. it seems to work fine. but im not sure if iv done it right. wasent expecting to not have somethign in my pump that came with the rebuild kit. sorry for typos.

17. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

did you cross thread it?

18. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Mishnick, i can see it leaking from around the seal... would i be able to tell if i damaged the gland nut?

19. birddseedd

did not seem so. it went in smooth untill it hit the seals.

20. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Is it coming out from between the ram and gland nut or from between the nut and tube?