1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I hate rust.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by djr623, Mar 11, 2012.

1. djr623

djr623 Member

this is my 01 ram 1500. good truck, i really like it.......but i sure do hate rust!!! the drivers rocker panel is wasted, front fender starting to go and the drivers rear wheelwell was bad also. I picked up a replacement outer rocker(to be installed later) and i found a rust free black bed to replace mine. I know they make a patch to replace the wheelwell but I am no body man thats for sure. The price was right on the bed due to two holes being cut in it for stacks by the previous owner(will fix soon). It was sitting in the junk yard i picked it up from for some time so it is a little dull, I have a detailer friend that is going to take care of that for me. I was a one man show this afternoon due to my helper(little brother) being under the weather, so the chain hoist made it possible to do it by myself.

preswap.jpg

nakedtruck.jpg

swap.jpg

2. djr623

djr623 Member

and the pit doesnt hurt either!!!!

pit.jpg

hoist.jpg

rust.jpg

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Cheapskate,buy new!

4. djr623

djr623 Member

final product pre cut/compound

bed final.jpg

5. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

your first bed didnt look that bad .... you should see my 99 dakota .... if it wasnt for the RHINO liner you could put your foot throught the bed

6. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Looking good, make sure you post some finished pic!

7. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Nice truck ... hopefully you can get another 10 years out of it.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Having a pit sure is awesome. We have one at the garage I rent out of and I couldn't imagine my life without it! Hopefully I never have to experience life without it, I know I'll surely be putting on in the garage i'll eventually be building for myself!!

9. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

make sure you switch out the tail lights!!!

thats all typical rust for those 94-02 dodges... the bumpers usually rot out as well :dizzy:

10. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Two words ) fluid film (

11. I HATE RUST

I HATE RUST Senior Member
    from PA

fight on brother fight on, that **** never sleeps

12. I HATE RUST

I HATE RUST Senior Member
    from PA

ps I like the title Thumbs Up

13. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I have a 2002 silverado 2500 and just got a price of 2100 to replace both rockers

14. djr623

djr623 Member

ouch! i might have 500 in this after painting the replaced rocker but i did take the "cheapskate" way. Got it polished up by a friend of mine this week, turned out good. It would have looked better if i did go new, but it just isnt an option for me!

after.jpg

15. djr623

djr623 Member

I know i have to swap them out! yeah this truck has all of the tipical dodge problems!!! rusty rockers,wheelwells, rear bumper(starting) not to mention the dash cracking, kickdown band anchor breaking( and just a crappy trans altogether), intake plenum issue.....ect but for some odd reason i still love it, call me crazy or something:dizzy:

16. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

haha yeah I feel your pain (see my signature for 4 reasons) hahah

17. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

If you haven't tried Fluid Film just PM me for a free sample can. It is excellent at preventing or stopping rust. This offer is only good for US residents.