1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i hate plowing driveways !

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Doc_77, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Doc_77

Doc_77 Junior Member

first off this is kind of a rant so ... :mad:

the company i work for only plows commercial lot's but i do a few friends driveways as well when im done.
    most of them are fine but one is a half circle drive in front of the house and a small 30- 50 foot drive that leads to an island. the garage and house are to the right side of this driveway.

i can't even fit my truck in the drive much less plow a circle around the island !
    it takes me almost an hour and a half to get this drive open .
    how do you all deal with driveways like this ?

PS. i think im going to buy a snowthrower for this drive, it would be faster :mad:
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  2. Jone43

Jone43 Member

Drive past the owners and wave when they try and flag me down. :waving:
  3. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

do you do it for free?
  4. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Truck too big?

I feel your pain, I do mostly residential stuff, I was using a Suburban with an old meyer e47, this season I fitted a Nissan pickup with a snoway st80. Makes stuff like this a breeze. For residential you need that short wheel base.
  5. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

I deal with residential the easy way. My rig fits nicely in even the narrow drives. I've got a Jeep TJ with a 6 1/2 ft plow. Ultimate driveway buster. :nod:
  6. Doc_77

Doc_77 Junior Member

they pay me $50 for it. they are a friend of the family and the guy that owns the house is having some health problems.

i can't just ditch them and say i wont do it either. he owns a large landscaping company and will help me with any thing i need once i start mine up .

the only good thing i can say is ... they are very cool about it. they know my truck doesn't fit and they just want enough room to get the cars in the garage.
  7. Doc_77

Doc_77 Junior Member

if i did mostly resi work, i wouldnt think twice about selling my truck and buying a jeep !!!
  8. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

lmao - I was thinking the same thing.
  9. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

10. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

LOL!! very good... :nod:
  11. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

buy a small snow blower for the areas you cant get with your truck .it will be faster, and you wont be nervous from hitting something or tearing up the lawn.
  12. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

i can't even fit my truck in the drive much less plow a circle around the island !
    it takes me almost an hour and a half to get this drive open .>>>>

This long huh?
    Sounds to me like yer just driving is circles my man. :rolleyes:
  13. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I have a drive like that also , the circle is so tight I don't think I could drive around it without the blade much less with it. I do it in stabs and I angle and scoop my blade allot untill I get most of it .

Sometimes I take the snowblower around the island a few times , that seems to make it go faster.

Would a back blade work on a drive like this ?
  14. Doc_77

Doc_77 Junior Member

thx for all the reply's every one :)

i was thinking about getting a snowblower for this drive but it is the only one i would use it on . the place i sub for only does commercial work .

other then this driveway i do them for free. the only driveways i do are my own and some friends. these driveways get done when i feel like doing them also.

oh well i might be moving out to CO in the next few weeks , it's looking like i wont have to deal with this drive anymore :)

one last thing ... i never really thought much about doing driveways.
    drive up, drop the plow , back out , done.
    i have new respect for the guys doing drives like this !!! :drinkup:
  15. Langlois Enterprise

Langlois Enterprise Junior Member

I would try to find another snowplow operator, and see if your could do one for him and he would do one for you. We alway try to do favors for each other as long as you respect his territory and him yours. I understand your frustration, we all do thing for our friends!!!! :)
  16. selser420

selser420 Member

Back blades are awesome for doing circles...especially the tight ones. I've been using one for years and can do circles that I wouldn't think about dropping the 9'2" BOSS V on for fear of moving earth. I see a few guys around with jeeps using front and back plows.....gotta be awesome for drives!

F350 v-10
    BOSS V
    Daniels back plow
  17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

How far can you pull with a back blade before lifting or spilling over the top?
  18. selser420

selser420 Member

I can usually do a 2 car wide drive in three passes unless its deep like last weekend...then maybe four passes. I used it to pull out 3ft drifts between cars at some condos last week. The Daniels is set up like a box plow so it carries a lot of snow. I have a very large circle drive at my house that could be done with a normal plow, but it's gravel and I hate raking it off the lawn in the spring so i just do laps around it using the back blade to pull it out to an area in my front yard. Its easier to control the down pressure so I don't get as much gravel...then I can push it into a pile in an extra parking area that is gravel....no raking in the spring. Combined with a v blade, I can move a lot of snow to a specific spot easily......which is very usefull at some of our tricky accts.
  19. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Will the snow just stay in front of the box? spill over the sides? Am interested as they seem it would speed things up tremendously. Do you have to raise the back blade ,spin around and push to the side or can you carry it more less the length of the drive and raise at the end?

Am thinking how much help it would be in a loading dock area('s).
  20. selser420

selser420 Member

It mostly stays in front of the box...eventually it comes off the side. For a 3-6" snow, I will pull 40ft drives all the way to the street w the back and then push the pile to the side or across the street(I know!!!) with the front. I really saw ther time saving last weekend with the 12" storm. Last time we had that much (99 I think) I had to back in, push out, turn around, back drag, turn around, push out again! Now I just back in, pull out, back up, push out, done! Big time saver!!!