1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I hate painting stakes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Man!, if there is one thing I hate doing, its painting of any kind let alone hundreds of plow stakes. I bought a bunch of the nice plastic flexible ones last year but only brought home (after the season) about half of what we started with :angry: This year I just went with the usual 1.5x1.5 wooden 4 footer's. I thought it would be nice to paint them company color's, yellow for the first 6-8 inches and hunter green for the bottom 8". Yeah after only getting through about a hundred or so, I am bored out of my mind,lol
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We did the wooden stake deal for years, cutting, painting UUUGGGHHHHHH after like 500 it just plain sucks.....

Enter Angelos Supply and $.45 snow stakes........LOVIN IT........

For as many of the wooden ones that break, people will steal the fiberglass ones at approximately the same rate. We had one of our laborers spend an hour dipping the new ones in a quart of reflective paint, they look OK, as the can got lower there's a little less paint but they'll do the job.
  3. Brian Young

I was just going to dip them but I'm sure I would be going through about 5 gallons of paint. Right now I'm just around 1/4 of a quart and about 400 more stakes to go. :cry: One problem I have with the little 3/8 fiberglass type is seeing them. Yes I need glasses but a couple of my guys said they were hard to see, plus would you believe that a few commercial's and residential's complained and wanted the wooden ones back.
  4. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Interesting I wonder why they like the wood ones. I use the 3/8 white from Fleet Farm cut in half (I know, ......some don't approve of THAT) My HOA customers don't like the really tall ones and I do all the plowing myself ...............it works.
  5. Brian Young

Well another thought I remember from last year, we used the typical 4ft orange stakes and when we staked our residential's there were no other stakes in any ones driveways yet, two weeks later when it snowed every damn driveway looked the same. So there we were using a super bright spot light, shinning it at almost every house at 4am,lol It honestly probably added 20 minutes to the route until every one was used to the houses.
  6. plowatnight

from Mn

guess it pays to have a little "Unique"
  7. plowatnight

from Mn

by the way, what 're you doin on here on a Friday night? Shouldn't you be on a date or something??
  8. Brian Young

LOL, well actually we were supposed to be in NY picking up my pusher's and V box from Collin at ColumbiaLand Trucks but my 8ft skid steer plow wont be here until next Thursday so I ran around in lovely 40 degree rainy weather and started painting some markers....fun, I know.
  9. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

Gey a PVC pipe, just large enough for the stake to fit in.
    Cap off the bottom, fill (almost) with Paint, then dip the stake in.
    this way, it will cover the full length of the stake, and as it gets low, add more paint.
  10. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

Im spray painting mine today, I made some a few years ago but I used 2x2's and I couldnt get them in the ground. I bought 1x1's this year. Ive been using angelos fiberglass stakes, but for bigger commercial properties, they just don't stand out enough.
    My wooden stakes are the exact same price as Angelos stakes.
  11. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

too be honest i just bought a really nice wagner sprayer to do a deck. i sprayed 3 plows with it..man looks almost stock,

id go pick up a nice sprayer it will go alot faster.
  12. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have been plowing for 26 years and have never once used stakes. In all those years I may have damged a total of 5 yards of sod ect. To me it's like training wheels. I do not see a need for them if you know your jobs. jmo