1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I hate older trucks!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Brian Young, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

This 00 GMC dump is killing me! We bought it for a good price and I knew it needed work but its one thing after another. I knew it needed a fuel line but I figured I would do both while I'm at it, then the front tank started leaking so we did that, a new fuel pump and new straps. Then the fuel gauge started acting funny then no read at all, got that fixed or so I thought. Just replace all the brake lines and had the fuel gauge thing looked at again and found a cluster of wires green with rot so replaced them. Next week body shop to spend another 2500.00.
    So far:
    different plow: my old v blade plus 400.00
    new fuel lines, tank, straps and sending unit 1500.00
    new back up alarm and amber beacon 175.00
    new brakes, ball joints and oil change 800.00
    repair minor wiring problems, replace lights 300.00
    repair fuel gauge (1st time) 150.00
    repair fuel gauge (2nd time) 85.00
    repair fuel gauge (3rd time with no guarantees) 275.00
    replace all brake lines 510.00
    body work with new cab corners and rocker panels 2500.00
    new front doors 250.00
    AND its going to need tires soon,lol
  2. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

Been there done that..... I had a Chevy that I bought for $4500 after dumping another $5000 in it over two years I sold it for a loss just to get rid of it !!!!
  3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Shoulda bought a newer older truck...........LOL
  4. Brian Young

Shoulda, coulda, woulda,lol Its to the point now where I have this much into it, whats another couple grand to make it look new. It runs really well and I think after it gets painted I might be a bit more at ease about buying it. My intentions were to use it just for plowing but needed it for a few landscaping jobs so its paid for itself within the first year so I really shouldn't complain. Believe me, I looked for about 3-4 months for a used one but there were none around and I wasn't driving 500 miles to go look at some one else's POS.
  5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I just bought a International @ auction, I figured that since a bus company owned it & the it was used to plow there lots it would be well maintained, some stuff was (greased the crap out of it). It's a '87only has 15,000 miles. So far we just replaced part of the exhaust( $ 400), the fuel filter & housing( $ 50) because it was so rusted it wouldn't come off. It's still going to need the oil filter that is just as bad as the fuel one (I'm going to pay to have that one done), then I still have a bunch of lighting to fix, wiper issue, & tailgate latches are rusted open (fine till spring). It isn't even on the road yet.
    I bought it OK though, I hope ($ 9900 with tax), 10' Western Heavy Weight is in great shape, hydro undertailgate spreader all works, dump goes up & down fine, tires & brakes are good. I'll feel better once its going down the road making me $$$$
    The thing is even with the newer trucks there are still issues, more to go wrong, for instance my 2005 needs wheel sensors cleaned ABS is kicking in pre-maturly, ($ 250). The international, I looked for the wiper motor, I can litterally stand right next to it, nothing in the way to move, etc.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  6. Brian Young

Nice! You can turn an older truck into something nice if you have the time and place to work on them. I still think I got a good deal, we paid 4800.00 for it and so far we will have around 7k into repairs, paint and plow. So for around 12k I still think I'm ahead for a 4x4 with only 70k miles.
  7. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Every truck needs repair. It's those big dollar repairs that make you wonder whether its worth it. I bought my dumptruck 3 years ago. ('81 Ford, now that's an old truck) Paid 3k. Last fall I took it in to get new brakes on the front and turned out it needed new spindles, brake cylinders, king pins, hub oilers, etc. The bill was 3,400 on an '81 Ford. It was hard to swallow, but the truck drove 100% better. I was able to make it all back in one of the blizzards we had last winter. It wouldn't be so bad if the repairs were spaced out, but when one thing is getting fixed, usually I will (or my mechanic) check the entire truck over for potential problems, which results in more fixes and a bigger bill. Better to fix it now than during a storm when you'd be losing AND spending money to repair, not to mention freezing your tail off in some parking lot in the middle of the night.

I have a love/hate relationship with my dump truck. I love it when it makes the bigpayup, oh but I hate it when it needs repair!
  8. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

I have a love/hate relationship with my dump truck. I love it when it makes the bigpayup, oh but I hate it when it needs repair![/QUOTE]

Yup, Me Too. This yr I'm goin "All In" with my "Pretty Red" RAM2500 4dr, Hoping all the creature comforts worth the toll I was putting on my old '84 solid axle chev. 3/4 . now to be on the "Cowboy Caddy" One thing Though, I love the way the big C60 bulldozes through the biggest nasty drifts like a hot knife through butter. I'm keepin' her, and I'm fixen her, maybe even a new coat of paint !
  9. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

sounds like my dump truck too, i bought it cheap in working condition but with the amount of money i have put into it i could have bought something alot newer. just the price you pay for a used dump truck, but when im done ill have like a brand new truck. heres what ive done to mine in the past year. thank god i do all my work myself
    new cam positioning sensor
    new brakes all around
    new brake lines
    new dump motor
    new ball joints and u-joints
    new dust shields
    new clutch
    new flywheel
    new radiator support
    new water pump
    all new engine pulleyes
    rebuilt 5 speed trans
    rebuilt transfer case
    new valve covers
    new oil pan
    new oil cooler
    new tie rods and track bar
    new wheel bearings and seals
    new gear box
    new surpentine belt
    all new clutch linkages
    new exuast
    new oil dipstick tube
    new batteries
    new glowplugs
    new glowplug relay
    new cluch safety switch

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

its like your ante up for a good winter.

dont worry she will pay you back in a few storms. payup
  11. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

I'm going back and forth on my 79 F-250 4x4 has a only plow truck. Down the road when I finally get the farm I'll curse myself for thrashing it plowing but I'm running into space problems now. Storage unit and garage filled to the brim with tools,material,truck... Problem is I'm going to buy a new Ranger this winter for daily runner and pulling mower so now it seems like I'll have three truck problem if I go for plowtruck next year.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  12. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

hi ya brian...truck..

brian ,,reading your post i thawt that was a older truck..oh it is computer truck.they have expensive part$ ......im old skool no computer k series riggs..solid axle.2$12.oo wheel bearings $15.00 fuel pump,89 cent fuel filter,Best of luck to you and your rigg...
  13. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

but the engine & trans & transfer case are fine (?)

thats what really counts
  14. Brian Young

All is good with those...knocking on wood here,lol It goes in to the body shop in a week or so to make her look new.