1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I HATE my XT!!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by LwnmwrMan22, Dec 2, 2007.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Just got done with 38 hours straight. Tomorrow I'm heading back to the dealer to find out if there's and adjustment. If not, I'm going to be VERY irate.

When you angle the XT, the blades looks like this from the top, _/ instead of both angling all the way so it's a solid line like... /

This means now that when I'm in tight areas, I can't backdrag without pretty much moving the truck over and pulling straight up to the sidewalk / door, since both wings aren't flush with the edge of the sidewalk.

Also, I don't know why, but it's about 1-2" wider than my old 8.2, and now I can't get through the drives at one of the banks I do, so I've got to see if the edges of the blades are sticking out farther, or what.

Anyways. I love by other (2) Boss V's, but this XT had better be able to angle all the way, or we're going to have a very heated discussion.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I don't suppose you can get pixs.

3. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

Other than that, how is it? does having the flaired sides help at all or is it all show and no go?

4. LwnmwrMan22

We had about 6-8" of snow.

I have SOME areas where I can get up to about 20 mph in a straight shot.

What I noticed is, that if you have the blade straight, the snow will fly like a mad man.

If you have the blade angled, it will force the snow down, so it doesn't blow back into your window.

I'd say if you're running it straight, it'll throw it 20-30'. If you're angling, it'll throw it 15-20'.

Obviously I'm a little biased, with regards to the original post, but I'd save the $300-400.

5. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

lawn man, there is a way to make it look like / or \ you just need to practive, there is a couple button configurations that do it. mine works

6. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

We have 3 of them love em:nod:

7. LwnmwrMan22

If I angle the left 1/2 all the way to the "back" or towards the truck, and angle the right blade all the way away from the truck, they are not straight.

I would say they are at about a 150 degree angle, if a 90 degree angle would be scoop or V and 180 degree would be straight, meaning a piece of rope running from one corner to the other, I'm not talking about whether the blade itself is angled.

If you're talking about buttons on the controller, no, mine will not do it.

All of my other V's, you just push both the left side buttons to angle to the left, right side buttons, angle to the right.

Yes, I understand that you might have to "adjust" a 1/2 blade a little to get it flush, but if I were to try to angle the whole blade, while keeping the face of the blade straight across, I can angle it about 30-40% of what I can angle the other V's.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  8. 04f350powerv-xt

04f350powerv-xt Senior Member

I just finished a 15 hour shift with my new 9'2 power v-xt, and thought it was great. I have 4 pretty tight condo units I have to do, the blade is a little big for these types of places, but it makes up for it, (and then some) when I do the bigger places. I never had a problem getting my blade to go flush to the curb, even when I came in on and angle for back dragging.

This plow moves a LOT of snow FAST!

9. LwnmwrMan22

Update -

hotshot -

you're right, it's going to take some practice.

I got to looking at it this morning when I woke up finally, and what I noticed is, that when the plow is angled, because the "wings" are rotated forward at the top outside corners, it looks like the plow isn't straight. However, the bottom of the blade is pretty well straight across.

Soooooo.... with that being said, I need to eat some crow, it's not the equipment's fault, it's operator error.

Now, to figure out how to blame the mirror for breaking and rip the bumper a new one for bending..... those can't be my fault too, can they????

But... I'll still stick with my other opinions that now that I've got an XT and 2 regular V's, that for my operation, I probably should have just saved the $400. There's not that much difference when it comes to actual operation, even on 8" of snow.

10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Besides it looks cooler than the others....:cool: Good luck buddy!:drinkup:

11. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I'm going to be upgrading at the end of this year, what did the XT cost if you don't mind me asking ?

Thanks

12. LwnmwrMan22

About $400 more than a regular V.

Also, for anyone that's interested, I'm listing this plow for sale, plow only, no bracket or wiring.

38 hours of use.

Look in the equipment section.

13. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Why are you selling it if there's nothing wrong with it?

14. LwnmwrMan22

Because with the way that the tops of the flared wings don't line up with the bottom corners of the blade.

It's hard to describe, you pretty much have to be in the truck to see what I mean.

I have alot of accounts that I have to backdrag away from sidewalks, and there's small spaces to do so.

Most of the time, you can start in one corner, backdrag, then the next pull back you can go into the sidewalk at a slight angle, and so on and so on until the plow doesn't angle anymore.

Well with the XT, you can't tell by the top of the plow what angle your blade is at, since the top 'flares' aren't the same as the bottom of the blade.

I'm sure I could eventually figure it out, but I really don't care to.

15. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Im sure you'll get used to it. I know I will. Im just used to a more quieter plow w/ my old poly vee.
    I dropped mine in one of my lots and it's l o u d ..................... mothers were grabbing their children.

16. LwnmwrMan22

FWIW -

I already got rid of the plow, it soooo didn't work for my applications.

Anyways, good luck to the rest of you guys that are running them.

Before I bought one, I'd try to get in someone's truck that has one so you can see what I mean, especially if you're already running a regular V-plow.

I'm lucky enough to where my dealer had a bro-in-law that just bought a new 8.2 regular V on Friday, so he traded me and the dealer gave me back $400 to boot, said he'd get the money out of his bro-in-law eventually.

17. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

My only beef with it is that i have to get used to trying to eye it up to push straight. It is totally different than the reg. one.They should have another button for straight.Funky

18. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

so you got rid of the XT already...holy cow that was fast. What plow did you get to replace it?

19. LwnmwrMan22

I traded it for a 5 day old reg. 8.2 V and $400.

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm glad it worked out. It's also nice to have your trucks all the same in case you have to switch and drive another.