1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i hate my plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Feb 11, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

every snow somethign new brakes..... thsi time it was teh motor. took it appart. oxidized as ill get out. cleaned. now it shorts when i put a live wire on it.

this just sucks man....
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think you need to put the plow away for a year or 2 and come back when you have the cash to be in this business.
  3. birddseedd

the problem with that is saving money will never make you rich. especially in Michigan. i think itl work if i can figure out a way to insulate the lead bolt.
  4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Saving money till you can do it right will give u a better shot at getting rich LOL
  5. birddseedd

im not willing to wait 15 years however. so ill spend what i need now and do what i can now. 15 years from now ill be doing great. rather than just having enough to get started.
  6. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

How? If you keep spending money on fixing equipment. Where is the extra money coming from? I agree with Grandview
  7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I'm in same boat I hate my plow Eveytime I push snow nothing will break So after the snow have nothing to do Just sit and wait till next snow and hope something breaks so I can fix it
    I guess my problem is I bought a new plow I should bought a junk one

By the time you get it all fix up What you have in time spent and price of the plow you have You could bought a new one
    You should hate your self for buying it Its not the plows fault
  8. birddseedd

I have made more money than i have spent. timewise. well. counting my hours i could have earned enough to buy a better plow. if i had such a job that paid more than paycheck to paycheck. i work for dell (indirectly contracted). i just dont get enough work to pay the bills. if it werent for my business i would have lost my home a long time ago. so overall, even tho i work my *&#I) off, i have profit to show for it.

not everyone can start off on teh top. in fact most of us start off on the bottom. another year or two and ill be doin good.

oh. and fate slapped me in the face... sylionoid went out aswell.

the plow goes up slow. but hopefuly itl last another plow or two. next year ill get a brand new one.
  9. birddseedd

I did not spend as much as a good used plow. im well under 1k total cost. a good used plow runs around 2k.

but i did get a pretty bad deal with this setup unfortunatly.

now i know what im looking for when i buy another one. although. untill winter starts comming back to michigan it will probalby not be worth getting another one.

off to plow :waving:

i hope :realmad:
  10. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Here we go again... :dizzy:
  11. birddseedd

Crossing fingers. One more lot to do. 29 hrs. I need sleep
  12. birddseedd

woo. plow still works.
    i need to get to the industeral supply store and see about getting the post properly insulated.

so what else is there to brake?
  13. birddseedd

need a new motor pump and housing next year. theres one now i can get for 250. just dont have the cash till the next season.
  14. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

You've been plowing for 29 hours and still can't afford $250 to keep your plow going? If that's the case you really should consider giving up plowing until you can get better equipment.
  15. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

First of all, unstead of those stupid shims you have in the motor, install the correct one with the flange so corrosion does'nt get in your motor. I have a new one if you need it, I can send you pictures so you can understand how it works. This is what I gather from reading your previous posts. Second, when you installed that bolt all the way through your motor, did it still have the insulation around i? If not, that would cause your motor to short out.. Get better pictures of your setup on here, there is a wealth of knowledge on this board, but we can't help you when you spout off and run sentences together and we can't understand you. Good Luck!!!
  16. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

You work for dell...and you type like a second grader?
  17. birddseedd

the shims dont separate parts of the motor, but they do lift the motor up from the base allowing moisture to get into the pump housing.

not ideal but i did not know about it untill after i learned about plowing equipment and realized what i had bought.

yes i got ripped off. wont happen again now that i know.

honestly i dont even know why this is so screwy. there are 2 kinds of motors for this plow. flat with the shaft sticking out. which i have. and a cone shaped one where you cannot see the shaft. shrugs. i just need a whole new pump and all.
  18. birddseedd

Ya, i have kinda let my typing skills go. on the internet at least.
  19. birddseedd

have not been plowing the entire time. my plow route is relitvily short. been working on a business plan. hoping to get soem investment money. maybe.
  20. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I wish I was plowing for 29 hours....

I'd have a boatload of money coming in, where I could buy lots of cocaine to fuel my addiction, then I could go back to plowing for another 29 hours....

But then again, if I had that addiction, I wouldn't have any money left to fix my broken plow parts.:blush2: