1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I hate Meyer plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bigblue250, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 Member

All I have ever used till this season has been Fisher plows, and have never had any major trouble with them. This season I put a 7' meyer on my Jeep. I was out plowing a parking lot with it, and forgot about the two man hole covers. BANG both, not one, but both trip springs snap and over goes the not trip edge POS blade. If it was a Fisher, I would not have a plow that is now held together with tie wire till the parts get in. Thanks for letting me vent.:angry: I hate Meyer plows:realmad:
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I'm sure your going to get some comments out of this thread.:nod:
    I wouldn't get too carried away if I was you.:nono:
  3. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

Big Blue, Sux that you don't know what you are doing, I don't feel bad for you. You have some nerve with 9 posts to write a thread like this, many people on this forum use Meyer plows and never had bad things to say about them............ PUNK!
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I told you so.:nod:
  5. Filer

Filer Member
    from Canada

LMAO .............. relax roblandscape :drinkup: Big Blue di mention he was just venting ............. not everyone has the same opinion & he is entitles to his.

Myself I had a meyer's for 8 years & never had a problem with it. This year I went to a BOSS plow & love it as oposed to the meyer. Meyer is a good plow but I just think BOSS is better :drinkup:

Bigblue250 in fairness to roblandscape reply .................. man you do need to know the area your plowing and from reading your post it does seem to be your fault not the plows.
  6. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 Member

It was my fault, and I do know the area( I have been doing this lot for 2 years). I was just in a hurry after doing my town route(not remembering the big manhole cover in the middle of the lot). I just dont like the idea of the whole moldboard flipping when it hits something. By the way, my flame suit is now on.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Hey, Hey, Hey, sounds like operator error to me?
    Was it a new plow or used?
    Were those Myer springs or aftermarket?
    Were they adjusted right or near the end of their useful life?
    Myer products have done me right!
    4 years over500 hours with a husky 4 springer- $0 in parts spent. I might add I bought this truck off a lot and never touched the pump or added any new parts.
    4 years with a 2 meter, two hoses cut,2 couplers replaced, no other repairs.
    Should I blame Myer cause I hit a curb at 10 MPH and it stopped me dead, I broke a bolt and 2 welds? NO, damage happens don't blame the product. And don't get Dad started on Myer products it could go on for ever!
  8. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Extra trip spring, adjusting bolt, hinge pin, coupler, and a hydraulic hose are standard spare parts to keep around. With 4 trucks all Meyers equipped, we always have 3-4 of each around. Cheap insurance to keep you plowing. 16 years of using Meyers equipment, it has made me a lot of $$$$$. Any brand of plow will break if you abuse it.
  9. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I wouldn't get meyer plow again don't like how they push snow. Also look though all post and see what plows people are have trouble freezing up all time.
    But to fix up your meyer get big piece of angle iron weld to to sector between the 2 springs drill hole in mold board and angle. then add 3rd spring. It must be a old meyer plow or the home owner one. The newer ones come with 3 springs now,
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2004
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My 4 spring either goes over it or thru it. It does trip but it's got an F-250 behind it so most times it goes thru it. Ya can't fix a REAL PLOW with bungie cords! Myer was born near the snow belt all others copied them!!!
  11. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

I've been using Meyer Products on my CJ for about 20 yeaars now. Never had the problems you guys are having.

My only problem is rust, The PO had never taken any care of it before I bought it. Last year I was helping cleaning out a lumber yard and there was a 12' 2X8 hidden under the snow and piersed the plow just like a spear in the rusty area. I guess it's time for a new moldboard.
  12. Amen to that brother, any plower regardless of the equipment he or she owns should not be out on the road without spare parts.
    As to the opinion of meyers, some people swear at them, i swear by them. :dizzy:

13. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

When posting with a subject like "I hate [insert anything here]", you should put the flame suit on FIRST. :yow!:

I can't understand the point of a full trip plow. Why would you want that to happen? It dumps all the snow (and does so right on the offending item, so you'll have to get out and shovel it), and risks catching the top edge of the plow (especially if you've got a rigid deflector) on whatever's in the way.

I'm very happy with my Diamond -- it's a Meyer with a trip edge.

The only issues I've had have resulted from bad maintenance -- the PO didn't take care of it right, I didn't know anything about plows or plowing, I didn't take care of it, and so on.

For freezing up, I suspect it's necessary to use high quality, fresh hydraulic fluid. I put in cheap stuff and mine froze up while on the highway in 0 degree snowy weather. Add a little drygas, and okay (though I've probably destroyed all the seals; I'm going to overhaul in the spring anyway).
  14. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Never used a Meyer, but we had a F350 pickup with a western that used to trip like that. Any hardpack or ice would make that plow trip.

As stated before, abuse will break any plow. One of my father's accounts was the local airport. We plowed it with 2 single axle Macks, 1 Cat 950 loader and either a pickup or one ton dump. Since we would get a premium price for the loader, the airport manager decided that he could push the banks over by himself. The city had bought him a brand new 97 F350 dump with plow and stainless steel spreader. I can't remember the brand, but it wasn't your standard Fisher, Western, Diamond, Meyer, etc... it was the same outfit that supplies the plows for large municipal trucks. This was a huge 10' plow, with an equally huge plow frame and central hydraulics on the truck. No minute mount here. The plow pins were 1"!! So the manger decided to use the truck to push the banks back. In the process he found that most of the banks had hardened over time, so he had to get a running start. After bashing the h*ll out of his truck for hours, he finally ripped the plow frame off of the truck. It was sad to see a truck that was less than a week old get ruined like that.
  15. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I have ran meyer plows for 5 years now all the way from when I was 15 in a lot truck to currently plowing with a durango, several trucks inbetween, in that 5 years I had 1 freezup and 6 cutting edges wear out, no other problems. the one truck had a c-8 and I slammed a unstaked island doing 25mph! sheared all the mounting bolts on the mount but the plow was fine and was up and running 3 days later with a full out custom mount. I have seen some pretty beat to shyt plows and it is always a meyer that the nutcase is behind:rolleyes:

16. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

Springs were TOO tight. The spring tension CAN be adjusted with the long bolt at the top. It's possible you had two bad springs; it happens! I also get the impression from your post (GET THE IMPRESSION) you were flying. Add another spring. A question I always have to ask myself is why do people buy the light weight versions of equipment (i.e., 2 springs is a standard plow) to use in a heavy commercial application and then complain about how bad it works.

(Customer to Home Depot guy- "I bought this Harry home owner Black and Decker saw. I am building 300 homes and now the thing is destroyed..." Can you say Milwaukee?)

Even though I switched from Meyer to Western not too long ago it was for many more hard fact reasons than just breaking 2 springs. As for a full trip board and a trip edge is to each is his own. There are a lot of opinions both ways (we know how opinions go...Yes I have 10) I ran a Fisher for 2 seasons and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. The edge would trip and not return and I would get to the end of a run and see a great flat graded white road in the rear view mirror. When my full trip plow folds over I STOP, RAISE THE PLOW UP JUST A TAD, MOVE UP A BIT, FLOAT THE PLOW AND CONTINUE. When the plow gets to the other side of the hard pack it will return back down to the pavement and continue to clean PROPERLY. Now I know where the hard pack is and I can attack it differently i.e., hit it with some salt and comeback and hit it later.

Yes my Fisher was adjusted right. Yes, you like your trip edge for whatever reason and that's fine you make your money I'll make mine.

Bigblue250 - your first post was a little hard out of the gate. It's good to vent but you should have expected a hard return. Nomex is some awesome stuff huh?:D
  17. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

and if that was a fisher u could done something worse i like full trip western or meyers i have meyers no problems here
  18. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

1st, a little punctuation goes a long way, your statement means very little the way it is written.

2nd, there is no "s" in Meyer

3rd, people assume because someone is a newbie on a message board that they are a newbie to plowing, which just isn't true for the most part I imagine. Most people probably find this site because they are buying something new or are trying to fix something.
  19. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

you havn't been here long so I am sure you havn't seen some of the trolling that has gone on here, alot of times we dont know weather a newbie is full of bullshyt or the truth, are we supposed to believe everyone that comes on here and take their word 100%? I think NOT. but when someone with only 9 posts comes on here bashing a brand of equipment that I would wager 45% of the contractors nationwide use, shyt is going to hit the fan. it is almost like someone calling your wife a *****, I do not think you would put up with that.

20. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i grew up with meyer snowplows. they do have there problems but over all i think they make a great plow. :)