1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I HATE Gravel Driveways!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DeereFarmer, Apr 22, 2007.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

For the last three straight days I have been putting the gravel back on my road and some of the driveway I do. I have about another 1/4 mile to do and then get to start grading them. I love having my tractor tho! It makes it so much easier than it could be. Just needed to vent a little. Now I feel better.wesport

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

were done doing gravel and chip and seal drives after this year. probably wont do asphalt drives either. IMO they are drives that are not designed for a truck and plow.

3. Rappa

Rappa Member

Then what driveways ARE designed for a truck and plow? Kryptonite driveways?

4. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Just raise your plow high enough to not hit directly on the surface. I've yet to have a problem in the last 5 years.

5. DeereFarmer

That's what I do, but for a long gravel road with hills it gets kind of hard. I just know it comes with the terriotory. Most of it is my property, so I don't get paid lol.

6. Jay brown

concrete can handle a diesel truck and plow.....only reason i'm quiting gravel,chip/seal, and asphalt is because we are busy enough with commercial to pick and choose on the drives. you should see the chip and seal and asphalt drives we did after the ground had thawed and you'd quit too. anyone want any work north of KC let me know i'll hook you up with 4-5 drives that pay $25 a pop. at $25 per push it's just not worth it to me to have angry customers in a small town where word get around.

7. Jay brown

i had to get out a leaf rake and rake gravel back on our lane this year....that's hard work!!

8. smitty3903

smitty3903 Junior Member

For gravel drives try taking a piece of PVC pipe and cutting a slot length wise and putting it on to your blade this will remove the snow and leave the gravel.

9. DeereFarmer

There was a spot where I had to use a metal flat shovel. I got 3 tractor bucket loads from one spot. It was where I stacked all the snow for a 10 car parking lot.

smitty: That's a good idea. I'll try that next year. I might even make one this week so i don't forget!

10. DeereFarmer

Well I got all the gravel back on the driveway. I only needed three bucket loads extra. After 7 months of wear and tear on a brand new driveway and plowing, it wasn't that bad. I'm going to let it pack a little then grade it in with my York Rake. Now I'll only hate gravel when I have to do maintenance!

11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

FirstTimeOut, for this annual right of spring you need to get you a power broom with rubber paddle head. They work great at removing gravel from the turf.
    [​IMG]

12. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

even better would be a cast iron pipe...PVC i could see easily cracking and breaking

13. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

Dirt Driveways

FTO, You get done with your's, you can come up and do mine! But bring ten ton of 3/4 nit- pac with ya! It's all across the lawn and in the woods after the rain a week ago LOL Hippy.

14. DeereFarmer

I'm going to try to get one of those by next spring. Couldn't afford one after this season.:cry:

15. DeereFarmer

I'll load up my truck right now. I can fit 10 tons in an F250, right? lol. The rain really messed me up. All the gravel had run out into my neighbor's unthatched lawn. I spent an hour picking out all the old grass, leaves, and sticks out of the gravel..