1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I hate electronic

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by weasel11, Dec 10, 2008.

1. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

I got my new plow on my Bronco and it looks good. So I went to try it out and pushed the 4x4 button and NOTHING. Checked the fuses, the wires. Any ideas?
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

probably leaky vacuum lines on the front hubs. our old explorer had issues with the push button 4x4. we ended up putting manual hubs on it.
  3. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

check to see if the motor on the t-case is moving very common problem. you can manual flip the tcase into 4wd with a plier or vise grips if you get stuck
  4. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

Shouldn't I at least hear the relay in the dash trying to switch into 4 wheel drive?

thanks for the help
  5. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

If its electric shift diagnosing it may look simple but fords diagnostics are pretty ******. I just went through one today (explorer) and it took me two hours of dicking around and i finally got it working. The first thing i would try is get a friend and have him/her try pushing the buttons while you crawl under the truck with a hammer and tap on the motor for the t-case. This gets things moving 80% of the time. If they motor isnt exercised the contacts inside loose their conectivity, usually over summer time. There are also position switches in the motor to tell the shifting control module where the motor actually is in its rotation.. If this ends up being the issue, probably best to replace it..
  6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Smacking the motor on the transfer case with a hammer can help if the motor is stuck. Very common problem. It's the motor or the vacuum lines are cracked and leaking. I've never seen a 4x4 selector switch bad on the older Fords. It was always the TC motor or a vacuum hose broken. I did have to replace the vacuum switch on one before only because the vacuum switch was broke. Chances are, the TC motor is stuck. Also the automatic locking hubs are total junk. If you haven't done it already and the truck has auto hubs, get a manual locking hub kit.