1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I hate decision makers when they've never had to deal with snow and ice!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We do 3 restaurants that are a national chain and around here the weather can go from good to very bad in a matter of minutes. Any ways, got their contracts, it was a per event pricing structure along with salting and the same for sidewalks. Now typically we plow at 2" then salt, these geniuses went to salt as needed to of course will call for salt. Why don't these pencil pusher's just let us do our friggen job! So I can picture it now, we're all done doing our routes, just get home and lay down and the phone will ring...."XYZ requested salting" so now we'll have to go back out spend another 3 hours doing these idiot's when it would have been all said and done if they would have let us do our jobs to begin with. Your 2 tons just turned into 4+!!!!!!
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldnt agree to this for the reason you stated.

Try to get them to switch to seasonal for the rest of the year?
  3. Brian Young

Could you imagine if it were actually snowing around here? They would have had a heart attack but we've serviced the locations about 9 times between all 3.
  4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Here is our solution to the request only (for salt) clients. If they won't allow us to use our discretion to salt their property when it needs it (and when we are salting the rest of the world) we require them to sign an addendum stating that they will agree to an additional charge of $150.00 to salt their property on a request basis, unless of course if we already have trucks on the road servicing other clients.

Nothing more irritating than a cheap client requesting salt once we are completed with all of our other clients. They will pay for this luxury and agree to the extra charge, or we will not offer "salt by request only".

Good luck with those bozos!
  5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Exactly - we get a bunch of snow here - well on normal years. We've had customers go to salt on call - we just charge more for on call unless we have a truck out salting.

We probably maybe should change the way our bids read, but I just explain my bid price is for service while we're out working, once that truck shuts off, there's a fee to turn it back on.

It's really not the customer, for areas that get a bunch of snow, you could bill the crap out of salt - customers just couldn't afford for a lot in Erie PA to look like one in Trenton NJ - it's just economics.

Provide the customer what they want at a price you can both agree on.

And yea, on call is the worst possible type of service to provide, it never fails that just when your head hits the pillow, the phone rings.
  6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Has this happend yet???.......Or are you just foreseeing this happening......

You might want to try to set somthing up with the customer to give them a call when you in your Professional Opinion think their propertys need salt.....

I know this is Not the best course of action...But, since you have nothing in your contract from preventing them from calling anytime....

The phone call could save you $ in the long run
  7. mike thunder

mike thunder Senior Member

We do the same as TCLA, but we charge $125.00. It's only fair.
  8. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I tripple my salting costs when they want to do that.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

With the "will call" for salting the property. Do you still take responsibility for the slip and fall clause? If they want to make the decision to have it done or not, why would the contractor take that responsibility? What if they don't call and someone slips and falls in turn causing injury. Wouldn't it be on them to be accountable for the injury?
  10. SnowPro11

SnowPro11 Member
    from KY

We just do not take plow only accounts but why not just raise their plow price along with adding a fee to come out and salt at a later time? Or give them one push without a salt but after the first plow of each event salt must be applied? This way they can see a difference in result as far as the quality of plow.
    It is only fair to you and them to provide them with a service that is actually going to help them. It would be useless to plow without ever putting any ice melter on the lot. Hell then they only have an ice rink.
  11. Brian Young

Their contract clearly stated keep pavement clear of any icy/slippery conditions. We have them through a maint. company and even they think it's stupid. But another thing that really ticks me off is we had to pre order salt and these 3 locations accounted for 50 tons that it looks like I'm going to have to eat, WTF! I like the idea of an extra fee for being on call, we're not your salting b!tch and mine and my guys time is worth something.
  12. ALC-GregH

from pa

I think you should call them and tell them this and see what they have to say! :D
  13. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

I was on the phone for two hours today dealing with a similar situation. They got the point when I lost it and told em the way it was. Got to love idiots that are based out of AZ and have no clue what's going on.
  14. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

I have fun with folks that want to call when they need plowing . I had 2 people call during our Mar. 3rd blizzard last year . I told them I'd get to them as soon as I had my regulars done . Within a couple of hours they're calling again wanting to know when I'd be getting to them . I told them it would be the next day more than likely . But I have to get out to go to work they say , you should have factored that into your decision to be call only , says I . Long story short , one is aboard this year and the other hasn't called again . In 35 years of plowing I've dealt with some incredably stupid people , and a few crooked ones , even had a pistol pointed at me once !
  15. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Have to assume you are talking about Bob Evans? Same thing happened to me - we have 2 locations. Just shrug it off. I was upset at first too but switch perspectives and see from their side that they are just looking out for the profits too. Snow & ice control is just an 'unnecessary' expense in their minds and anything they can do to reduce it will increase their profits. Thats why they go into work too - to make money - same as you and I.

Truly, Im not surprised. The Bob Evans around here have always been cared for poorly. We are going to negotiate for higher event pricing for plowing or just walk away.
  16. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

They only call when there is 12" on the ground
    You know what, my insurance, truck, equipment, guys, etc all cost 12 months a year.
    you are no help to me once every few years to call only when there is a lot of snow.

"sorry, we're full"

eff em
  17. ALC-GregH

from pa

I hope you didn't brush that off. People like that should be in jail. That's a life threatening situation that could end your life with just a snap of a finger. Did you call the cops?
  18. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Yeah no kidding. Always amazes me how stupid people can get over snow. Alttle snow falls and all common sense is replaced by pure stupidity.
  19. Brian Young

You guessed it! What just fries my ...... is that if you or I changed the terms or conditions and didn't perform to the original contract we'd be replaced in a matter of minutes. I'm not complaining about the maint. company, they're kind of stuck in the middle too but I just can't believe a company that size could just let it happen. I emailed an area manager and voiced my concerns and new terms so we'll see what happens.
  20. Brian Young

I understand their trying to make money, it's the point of the original AGREEMENT in their contract.