1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I hate automatic trannys

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by theplowmeister, Jan 26, 2016.

1. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I hate, HATE, HATE Automatic transmissions!!!Last moth I had my one jeep with an auto rebuilt I took it out and droped it at the tranny shop. $1000 later put tranny in the jeep, worked great for a month. Friday I went to fill the gas tank the jeep moved 30 feet and stopped. would not go forward or backwards. I checked the trany fluid, level was OK but looked a little bit foamy added 1/2 qt ran fine. Checked tranny fluid Sunday, High and foamy/milky!!! went to the tranny rebuilder... eup engine coolant in the tranny F___ So I flushed the tranny and bypassed the radiator cooler and went directly to the auxiliary cooler.

From what Ive read the tranny is toast... the antifreeze dissolves the glue on the bands and ruins the seals. So it a mater of time before the tranny craps out... F____. Ive NEVER had a Manual tranny die from engine coolant contamination.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A 1k rebuild? You got off cheep.

Then the coolent in the trans fluid shuld have been caught at that time.

Well all you can do is roll the dice.

Buff should be by soon to tell Ya to get a manual

Ps that sux.

3. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

WTF, That blows, I assuming the bypass corrected the issue with the coolant, Just another day in paradise, I had no clue this could happen, Hopefully the tranny will hold up regardless what you read. Good luck

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure why this is the transmission's fault.

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The only thing I can think of is that some manual transmissions don't have coolers to fail.

6. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

That's what I was thinking ....Thumbs Up

7. Mark Oomkes

So if a head gasket fails, coolant gets into the engine oil and causes damage, it's the engine's fault for failing?

Basically, someone screwed up on the rebuild. This has nothing to do with an auto tranny. Millions of auto trannies function perfectly every day, because a part didn't fail.

PS I know you know, just pointing out the logical fallacy in the OP's post.

8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Mr Oomkes is right, this is more of a cooler/radiator issue than a transmission issue. Did you get a warranty on the rebuild? Not sure if this would be covered by a warranty but its worth a shot

9. theplowmeister

from MA

Yes it does for 2 reasons

1 there should never be a trany cooler in the radiator if a leek will cause a trany failure.

2) Why use components that are susceptible to antifreeze if antifreeze contamination is possible ? why not use use glue on the bands that will resist antifreeze.... not so hard to do.

If they used a different glue all Id have to do is flush the tranny and Im good to go. But Nooooo even though the trany still works just fine (the Water was only in for under a week) the bands will come apart.

Who said the radiator was leaking into the tranny before the rebuild? Your assuming thing not said
    no one "screwed up on the rebuild" did you read my post? the radiator was just fine when I took out the tranny. it was AFTER several weeks that the radiator failed.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

An amount of passing time does not equate to use.

It was full of foamy fluid, so you just add some more fluid and drive it?:dizzy:

11. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

The antifreeze will also kill the bearings in the transmission.

12. Mark Oomkes

As far as you know, it was several weeks later. I could be wrong, so could you.

13. theplowmeister

from MA

gata add words hear so itl post

14. theplowmeister

from MA

Mark

WOW... is all I can say it goes rite over your head.

15. Mark Oomkes

Well, since you're the only one blaming the tranny, pretty sure I'm not the one that isn't grasping the issue.

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

ok.

foamy fluid, you say.
    You go on to say it is also full.
    so you add more, and run it.
    :dizzy:
    but it is "funny" that the first thing to happen right after is the cooler going bad???
    and again,
    An amount of passing time does not equate to use.

ok, yank it out again and spend another 1k that is still cheaper than most rebuilds. or
    flush it, fill it, run it.

and i have to agree with the others it is not a transmission failure, that caused the issue at hand.

17. theplowmeister

from MA

Go back and re read my OP there was 3 days between first check of fluid and the over full.
    I said and I will say again the problem is not the tranny fault as such its in the design of making a system that will self destruct from a contaminant in the cooling system.

its simaler to having a motor where the crank shaft will delaminate if there is a fuel leak. Im not saying where you run the motor with the oil so diluted with fuel that it doesnt get proper lubrication. I'm saying the crank self destruct if fuel gets on it for one day.

"
    An amount of passing time does not equate to use." huh?

is it possable that the tranny cooler was leaking before the tranny rebuild. and there was NO evidence of it leaking... sure, but not likely.

18. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Ok, I am grasping

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

It would be good to know if the trans shop took your trans as a core and sold you a rebuild using a different core that should be been scrapped.

I'm in no way a fan of autos but I must agree with the others it's not the trans, not the design it's the rebuild or the core used.

Since you did the install the warranty option is probably off the table and you either stick another rebuilt auto in it, put a manual in it or sell it with a smoked trans and take a hit.

20. chevyhauler

chevyhauler Senior Member

I am not getting into this whole component blame game...that would be equine necrophilia.

But, I have had tranny's rebuilt. Seen good and bad.
    Tranny work is like body work. It is either bad, expensive or someone owes u a BIG favor.
    $1K is way too cheap for a transmission build. Just my $.02
    Seeing as you are in MA, I can suggest a really good tranny shop in northern CT. You can PM me if u r interested. I have gotten bitched at on other forums for suggesting vendors that were not sponsors.
    He rebuilt the tranny on the car that I drag race. He gave me a year warranty....full well knowing that I race it. When I inquired about the warranty with racing he said, "I built it to race. Go Race! If you break it, bring it back and I will fix it." His building often requires re-engineering things to be better/stronger/faster kinda thing. I have a lot of respect for that.
    Now....he is NOT cheap......but what he builds is bulletproof.