1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I had my blade sand blasted and it needs some work

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jo2fst4u, Dec 21, 2003.

1. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

Ok I had the blade sand blasted and it's in bad shape all along the bottom edge, How can I fix this? Any one ever reskin the blade ? I will call around in the am and ask some welding shops about it. do the poly shields work to repair holes along the lower edge

I was thinking on maybe having a sheet metal piece made out of 1/8 steel about 12"high and 7.5ft long and welding in on the whole lower blade then reinstall the cutting edge

How much are new western 7.5 pro plow blades? Where can i buy just the blade?

Thanks

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Those holes are there to mount the cutting edge to j/k. I would patch over the holes if I were you, a new blade is pretty expensive and probably not cost effective for you. If the holes are just cosmetic I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless they effect the strength of the moldboard.

3. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

If you're a good enough welder and know what you're doing, you could always cut the lower piece out and weld in a new piece. However I would probably just replace the blade. For a used one, you could look on Ebay or check your local classifieds. If you want brand new, you could always give Central Parts (www. centralparts.com) a call. I don't work for them, that's just who I normally deal with for mail order stuff and I've always been satisfied with their prices and customer service.

Ryan

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Bottom edge

Are you saying the bottom edge is rusted out with holes or just pitted? I use rust reformer to stop the rust then go from there.
    To get a new mold board put on can run into some big bucks.
    A plow shop about 3 miles from me gave me a price of $800 for my 7 1/2 Husky Myer's plow for a new mold board installed. They said $60 hour labor and materials. If the angle irons good on the bottom a good welder can do wonders. If all else fails pick up a good used blade next spring.

5. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

Its pretty bad all along the lower edge and about 4 inches up all the way across the bottom. The frame is ok. Can i skin a pieace about 12"up the entire length and how thick of steel do i want?

do the poly covers work verry well?

6. Rappa

Rappa Member

I see used blades in that are in great shape in the want ad all the time. You can pick one up for $300-500 all day long...

7. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

Well the blade is at the local welding shop, He is welding 1/8 x12 x7.5 all the way along the cutting edge, he has the metal roller and will do a good job, When i stoped to see what he would chrage me he was doing a fisher blade (needed the same thing) He said $65 to do the job. here is a pic befor (ouch) the sandblaster was a beast.

plow truck 009.jpg

8. Bun Hauler

Bun Hauler Junior Member

Why didn't you tear down the plow to be sand blasted would have been easier for who ever blasted it and also easier to check other parts for wear. and easier to paint .

9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

why don't you spray it down truck bed material

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Yeah I think you did the right thing have the welder do his thing.
    Just make sure you paint it good or have it painted.More rust will set in quick if you don't. One thing I hate about winter is the paint does not dry because of the cold temp's. If you put new paint over old paint under 70 degrees it will lift / wrinkle the old paint before the solvent evaporates out of the new paint. Most can spray paints not are not hard enough for plows, it will scour off after awhile.

11. badranman

badranman Senior Member

That's something I've been meaning to ask. What paint should I use to paint my fisher? I bought it used this year from a guy who ran it one season and the paint is flaking off in big chunks in certain spots. Is there a special kind?

12. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

I will prime it a few times with the epoxy prime then a few good coats of por-15. I was thinking puttin a poly cover ever use one of these?

Thanks
    Guys

13. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

might want to have it hot dip galvanized ($200 or so, never rust again)

14. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

That would be my question also, has anybody ever used a poly shield cover, if so how hard are they to install, and do they just go over the exhisting metal, and are they any good? They seem to be priced awfully inexpensive.

15. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

How did it rust out so bad? Did you have it buried in you Salt pile?

16. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

UHHHH Thank you.

I would replace the mold board. Get a new one.:nono:

17. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

Yup you got me it was in the salt pile!! :nono:

I bought it that way looked good until it was blasted, it's all better now...................

18. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Try taking it to an equipment repair shop, where they repair dozer blades and such, they can fix it right up.

19. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

por-15 is an excellent choice.

20. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

but POR-15 does NOT have a UV inhibitor in it, and it will fade within a years time and peel up