1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i had an idea - i knw they arent always good

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elite1msmith, Oct 6, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

try this on for size...

some skidsteer plow have a 2 cutting edges rubber on one side , steel on the other,

while the "flip it over idea will not work well on a truck plow... what if the steel edge was mounted in place, and a rubber edge could flip down to expose 1 inch of rubber below the steel? you might have to adjust the shoes as well.. but this might solve a few problems ppl have , i know sometimes you need the rubber, or it wet conditions... so what about like a flip down edge.... rasie the plow , and flip it down, insert a few pins

id rather flip down the rubber, because a rubber or poly edge doesnt take as many hard blows to it.... if you did hit an object that was higher up , like a curb... the steel edge would be inplace causing the edge to trip like normal... if you only had 1 inch of rubber exposed, most likley the edge would just bend and ride over the obstruction, putting minimal stress on the pins and hindge assembly
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  2. gkm

gkm Senior Member

sounds interesting :rolleyes:
  3. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

Sounds like a good idea, now who is going to try it?
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:It is his idea.....
    Then we could call him." Mr.Switchblade"......;)
  5. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Let Elite try it. Let us know how it works on top of the Sears Tower Elite!!!!!
  6. elite1msmith

from chicago

no, im too busy , that why i need you as a sub for ther tower...... i see you got my request,,,lol
  7. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

sounds interesting but do you think you can actually build something like that?
  8. elite1msmith

from chicago

yeah , with enough time and energry .... somthing in short on these days.. but i dont think it would be that hard to come up with
  9. redman6565

no i dont either. i mean i guess i never thought of something like that but the more you think about it, if you can make it work, it sounds like a pretty damn good deal.
  10. redman6565

sure would truly make your plows universal...
  11. elite1msmith

from chicago

you know the only problem for me is.... right now , i personally have Zero need for it at the moment.... i use steel and it works well. Normally if the snow is that wet type, the little that a steel edge leaves will just melt away on its own with little salt help
  12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If you find time to mess with the idea elite let me know, If I'm not working I'll help ya.
  13. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Hey elite, in the future, when you come up with a great idea like that you shouldn't post it on plowsite. You should take it to the patent office first. Make a prototype, get a patent, and try to sell the idea to plow manufacterers. That's what I would do.
  14. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Build this..

Build it, sell it, retire
  15. elite1msmith

from chicago

no way , i like plowing snow....
  16. redman6565

besides we're all like a "band of brothers" here, teammates fighting the common enemy, crappy winters, miserable customers, bad equipment, salt shortages, miserable customers, cheap bastards undercutting everyone, miserable customers, potential lawsuits and whatever else i forgot...lol. every idea and suggestion helps...
  17. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Sorry for the way old post but has anything become of this?
  18. J&L

J&L Member
    from Iowa

19. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

you snooze you lose I guess
  20. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Monroe, Schmidt, and Henke all make dual cutting edge plows. A less heavy and expensive way to go is a rubber edge that wears like steel. It won't scrape quite as good as steel but it's close. It has a steel bolt plate with ceramic discs molded into the rubber which keep the rubber from burning off.

There is a stocking US distributor.