1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i got two trucks want to swap blade setups .

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MetroplexPlow, Oct 13, 2011.

1. MetroplexPlow

MetroplexPlow Junior Member

i have two trucks .

ones a suburban 88 i believe.. with a worthless western setup on it.

the other is a silverado 84 with a myers setup thats electric and works flawlessly. I want to move this setup to the suburban... i have a mechanic garage ( tow company ) in front of my property and i inquired for them to do the swap . My boss gave them the keys to both trucks ... the trucks have been on my lot 2 wks sense we gave the keys to them .. heard NOTHING. i call today and they said to talk to the boss who comes in later in afternoon. They inturn called back in the afternoon and said its not possible. I have some pix of both trucks .. the idea is to take both set ups entirely and swap em . not just the blades. Either these guys have no damn clue or they're just plain lazy.. I am posting here to get an opinion about this . i need to get this done and i was previously told that this should just move over to the other truck being as they're basically the same being 4wd and all . i don't know .

what you all think?

photo004.jpg

photo005.jpg

photo001.jpg

photo002.jpg

2. FBN

FBN Member

Those 2 trucks have the same frames so it should be a straightforward swap. The only thing you will probably need is new bolts since you'll probably have to torch the old ones.

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

You going need find welder to make fit.

One on suburban are homemade mount.

4. MetroplexPlow

as i said previously the entire setup including mounting is to be swapped. after lookin at the western setup on the burb it looks obvious that the mount looks homemade.

5. MetroplexPlow

so that garage is full of b.s eh ? Or just plain lazy to do the swap for the offer we offered them ?

IF I do need need a welder i'm s.o.l anyone in the youngstown, boardman, niles area interested in making some money or barter for the pickup with good running motor and nice tires?

6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I think they saw how mount were and they feel it wasn't worth their time and effort.

After look hard I do believe they use same frame.

7. MetroplexPlow

haha the garage guys that are there do nothing but scratch their back sides all day. never see anyone come in to get their vehicles serviced. They do more towing then anything else honestly .. but still spend more time on thier back side shootin the b.s then actually working honestly.

i thought it would be a reasonable trade for them - the orig offer to them was to swap the setups and they keep the pickup and western blade for scrap . and they can sell the motor and tires and rims . That in itself i thought would have been worth about 500$ includin the truck if /when they took it to scrap . idk . They want to pass on it thats fine- i just have to find someone who is interested in taking it for scrap in exchange for the work. the motor could be a very good core exchange or rebuild as a spare for someone .

8. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

If the frame and Western blade are decent, it's a fairly simple swap to just swap pump units. They are almost a bolt in swap. Then you'll need to move the wiring over to the suburban.

9. MetroplexPlow

the western blade is on the burban... the myers is on the pickup truck . as pointed out the setup for the western looks like someone homemade the setup . i don't think the bracket for the pumps are the same esp if i am trying to move the myers to the burban..

10. Squires

Squires Senior Member

You "just" have to completly move everything, mount and all, the entire set up should be moved from the truck to the burban. Bolt off bolt on.

11. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

Most shops won't do this kind of work, especially for the trade you are offering. There are easier ways to make that much money. Two brake jobs and an oil change will bring in that much money, and not tie up a garage bay for two days. I'm sorry, but if you came to my shop and offered me a junk plow and a junk pickup for the labor and materials (bolts, wire, incidentals) to switch these two plows, I wouldn't take the job either. However, I would have told you outright, not leave you hanging.

12. MetroplexPlow

true- but they origiinally aggred to do this . then took about 2wks to even tell us that it wasn't possible.. But according to others here it is possible its just that they don't want to do it . Honestly if you stayed here a week watching this garage you would see ZERO VEHICLE Traffic in to thier shop for any type repairs . with the economy the way it is some money is better then no money but thats just my opinion . And i did have a offer from one the members here from mi that was considering taking the offer to come help so for some its worth the effort . but i'll even be lending a hand - i am by no means mechanically inclined nor am i able to transport these to another location to get this done either.

13. MetroplexPlow

the suburban is over at the garage as i type this . we went out to the burb this afternoon and threw a battery in and she fired right up. Some other possible bad news is it might need a new front trans seal or tranny cooler hose is leaking :( fingers crossed they can find the issue and repair it . and swap the setups .

this burb never leaked tranny last season i guess from sitting still all summer caused it to leak ? idk?

mike.