1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I Got The V-Plow Blues

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Moss Man, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

Right now I have the Fisher HD 8' MM2, but I am eyeing the Fisher V- Plows real hard for next year. I am sure most of my gear on the truck isn't compatible for the V's so I'd have to remove all that and sell it with the off truck portion.

Do I really need a V-Plow? No.

Do I really want one? Heck yes.

Will it snow enough next winter to pay off the V-Plow? Probably not.

Talk me into it......or.......talk me out of it.

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Your lighting and ISO system is perfectly fine for a V Plow. If you want to go with an EzV, then all you have to do is upgrade your control harness to a 7 pin harness. You can actually do that now if wanted as you can run the straight blade off the same harness.

Talk with Drew DMCarpentry...He is looking to sell his plow (EzV MM2) and move up to an XLS.

If you want to go to an XtremeV, then you will need to buy 2 new harnesses (roughly $185 total), but you can leave your current system in place.

Either, or the push plates are good to go.

Honestly....I will NEVER go back to a straight blade. Even if I were to get rid of the XLS, I would go with a V plow in a heartbeat! There is no comparison in productivity and time savings.

Save time & abuse on your truck = being more competitive, and increasing your bottom line.

Go for it!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  3. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

You'll definitely wanna go with the V plow. I like others started out with straight blades then went to a V plow, I've owned my V for three years now and I couldn't go back to the straight blade. It's all about production.

4. Mnpowerstroke99

Mnpowerstroke99 Member

I really like my V.I don't think I would go back to a straight blade.It's a real time saver and works great for busting through drifts.

5. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I kinda got hooked on the Xtreme after looking at the video on Fisher's site. Is there any disadvantage to having the Ez-V ? I am looking at the weight aspect also, the straight edge 8' HD doesn't seem to bother my truck too much. Looking at photos of the EZ-V, it appears like it might be heavier than the Xtreme-V?

I think the 8' 6" Xtreme V would be good for me, I don't do any parking lots.............yet.

6. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I had two vplows and wouldn't buy another, to each his own......

7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Why? Maybe you have good advice to share as to what the deal was.

8. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

Exactly my thoughts. If there are enough reasons not to get the V.......I could save some time money and hassles.

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

I would be interested to hear the cons as well....

Moss: I think the XV is slightly lighter. I had one on my truck about a month or so ago....I could barely tell it was even on the truck. I've been told they scrape nicer as well.....but I don't know if there is any truth to that or not. I know the X blade series is built more rugged then the old standard design......Hopefully someone with experiences with both blades will chime in and share their pros and cons.

10. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I know the video at the Fisher site is all about marketing, but it looks like the plow is the cat's whiskers. You would think that is has to be lighter than the old design just from looking at it.

The XLS looks intriging too, but the type of plowing I do might not warrent one of those. I live in a pretty rural area and do mostly driveways right now.

Looks like the Xtreme V 8' 6" is 159 lbs heavier than my HD 8'.

11. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

That guy called me on my extreme v for sale.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Who? Mr. "I had two vplows and wouldn't buy another.."???

13. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

The guy drew from maine called me.

14. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

You still have the plow for sale? I scanned a few pages of the ads here and didn't see it listed.

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

16. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I don't really see using the V mode. Maybe in blizzard country where you get all those drifts but I've always done fine with a straight blade. I do love the scoop function though, I'd love a V plow for that. I've already decided my next plow is gonna have the wideouts, for sure. I'd scrap the idea of getting a V, and get wings. Take it or leave it, I'm a straight blade guy.

17. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I found the ad Ryan, thanx. For that price I wish I had just done that instead of wrapping $2400. up in my straight blade.

I'm hoping to have a good year here with the other businesses and have a brand new Xtreme V in the fall.

The XLS looks like one heck of a plow, I'm just not sure I'd want that weight hanging off the front of my truck. With the XLS, can you mount a cutting edge on the main tripedge part of the plow?

Timbrens on the front might help with the XLS?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  18. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

19. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

i have a cutting edge on my xls and timbrens in the front with the t bars cranked a few. With the proper ballast the truck holds the weight just fine, but ur right the plow weighs close to 1100lbs with cutting edge, deflector, and jerres polar edges (24lbs a piece).

20. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

V-plow all the way. I use scoop mode 75% of the time. But one long driveway or road, and a couple hard snow drifts, the V position comes in pretty handy!! I can't believe some of the stuff I go through with that thing in V.