1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I got the Truck Tinted Now!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by firstclasslawn, Dec 17, 2005.

1. I got the truck tinted....15% all around... for those of you that say that you can't plow with tint you haven't tried it...ITS AWESOME! I ablsolutely love it! The other cars headlights aren't near as bright so its sweet!

2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Looks good, my last two trucks were tinted, but now I have manual windows so I dont want tint (dont want to lean over everytime I see a cop to roll down the passenger window.
  3. I have Manual too

I have manual windows too....but I have a prescription for tinted windows cause of sensative eyes (to light).........so I can't get a ticket for it...its soo nice!
  4. PremierLand

from detroit

Thats awesome....

P.S.! You've been ELFED!!
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  5. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Ok that makes sense cause 15% seemed like alot to be legal.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

How would one go about getting something like that? also what is it like seeing out of it while it is dark out and plowing?

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

15% - 20%

You shouldn't have no problem with 15%, I had 20% (darker) on my last plowtruck, and I had no problems while plowing at nite. The truck I got now came with 20% tinting in the 2 back side windows and the rear window, gonna get the 2 front side windows tinted soon.
  8. PremierLand

from detroit

I thought lower the tint % the darker it was?!?
  9. Tint

Mark you are correct...The lower the number, the darker the tint. True Limo tint is between 0 and
    2 %.

I am running 5% tint all they way around on my Dodge CTD. The percentage represents the amount of light that gets through the tint.
  10. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Wait 'til MSP see's it, makes you strip it off on the spot,AND write you a ticket...and see how much you like it then. Been there.
  11. They can't

They can't make me take it off because I have a medical nessecity for it due to extreme photosensitivity! By the way...any doctor or eye doctor can write the letter and then you just have to carry it in your vehicle and be able to supply to an officer upon request. The biggest problem is this....I have my truck tinted...my friend borrows it and gets pulled over and HE can get a ticket....it is possible, but they will usually let them go if they supply the letter and say the truck is borrowed. Doesn't matter to me cause I don't let anyone touch my truck!
  12. More questions answered

More questions answered...
    In the dark, its not bad at all, actually much better than you think...because of my sensative eyes, it prefer it myself. But honestly....My dad was totally against the idea and he got in my truck tonight and said..."wow, these arent that dark in the truck" so its not bad at all!

and in Michigan, it is illegal to have ANYTHING on the front windows, and the state police and certain local departments can be real dicks about it.
  13. PremierLand

from detroit

My bro has 5% all the way around in his truck execpt his windsheild. I hate it, when backing up with the windows up, you cant see behind you. LOL.
  14. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

the reason cops don't like it is because they can't see what they are walking up on, and it heightens their sense of danger. The reason I don't like it is because it makes a vehicle look "ghetto". I put 35% on my back window, only because the sun would beat down on the baby. But I find it is definitely a little harder to see out the back when plowing. I'm thinking about removing it. But I don't use the rear window that much anyway, being a truck driver I'm accustomed to using mirrors.
    A couple times I have driven borrowed vehicles with real dark tint at night, and I find it makes it a lot harder to see things. Anyone who says they can see fine through dark tint at night is just trying to defend having it. Hey, if you want to limit your ability to see safely while operating your vehicle, have a ball, just don't cry to me when you hit something you couldn't see.
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Then it must be imposable for you to drive with the sun shinning in the front window, or the head lights of an oncoming car.
    I don't buy it, It's o.k. for me as I have sensitive eyes, wear sunglasses.
    They will make you take it off and ticket you Dr. note or not, How would the cop know it's a real note from a real DR.?

My DR. says that I have excessive speed disorder, it's o.k. for me to speed, see I have a note from my DR. lol
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  16. ITs ok

No, trust me, they can't make me take it off....Its a professional letter, from my doctor, on hospital stationary that thoughlly explains the test results and that I am photosensitive and it is not a temporary proboem.....true the sun and car lights are tough to deal with, but the tint made it about 50% better, and i stil wear sunglassees on top of that.

Accrding to the michigan SOS, all i need to do is carry that letter and produce it upon police request
  17. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I'm surprised you are not required to wear a tinted pair of glasses or even the auto dark lenses they have now.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  18. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

i have 15% on my truck (no plowing though), the truck stays much cooler in the summer when I'm working (lawn/landscaping). I have added reverse lights to help with night time visibility, but they're not necessary all the time. if it is that dark i'll roll down the window.

I had 20% on my car, got pulled over in a dui check last year:gunsfiring: , cop said he didn't have his light meter, asked about a dr's note (which i don't have) and gave me a warning + inspections summons. I lost the ticket, called up to find out the info I needed. Turns out he never submitted the warning, so I never pelled the tint or got the car inspected
  19. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

You guy are really tearing him apart. He's not BSing, you really can have a cerified note from a doctor specifying an eyesight issue that requires window tint. Depending on which state you are in, you may be elligible to tint your windows beyond the legal limit by having a medical exception. Here you will find the tinting laws for all U.S. states and in the far right column, you will see how some states allow medical excuses. http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/State%20Law%20Chart.htm

JKOOPERS Senior Member

i have my back window tinted with 10 % and its great . keeps the truck cool in the summer and then when i am plowing i just turn on the cargo lamp .