1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I got stuck...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by t4dodge, Feb 20, 2003.

1. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

I'll just throw this link out... Quite humbling, but what the heck at least it WAS my own driveway i.e., should have known better... <LOL>

Enjoy the humility...
    http://chadwickfcu.com/temp/stuck.html

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Join the crowd. Two years ago, like you, on the very last push of the season on the way to the garage, pushing the snow back on my own driveway. Ran off the driveway with the right front and high-centered. After an hour of trying, finally call a tow truck.:realmad:

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I did the same thing on a customers driveway.I was trying to push a little more and my truck slid off just a little well the more i tryed to back out the more i started to go down the hill.Well could not drive it out so i had to run back to my house and get the backhoe and lift the back end into the driveway and then pulled it out .Who knows what a tow truck would of cost in the middle of a storm.

4. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Sucks to get stuck in your own drive:D
    I did the same thing last weekend but had 2 trucks stuck at once.
    And boy, did I catch the xxxx from the neighbor:eek:
    Mark K

2stucktrucks.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2003
  5. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

So ya got stuck huh?

Nice Toyota truck, nice Fisher plow set up.

So where are your snow chains?

You fellas must think I sell chains for a living. I don't. But when you get these big storms that dump plenty, you are going to get stuck, slide off roads, run into doors, trees and whatever is alongside the road if you don't use chains.

Compare the hookup time of a set of chains on the front with the time to dig out, or the cost if you damage your truck, your customer's property, or some other vehicle.

Chained tires start better, dig better, clear better and stop better than non-chained tires in severe winter conditions like this week's storm. You cannot set up for a monster storm like you were approaching a six inch dusting. It just doesn't work.

How many of you who had chains on got stuck this week, either seriously stuck, or momentarily, high centered and got out under your own truck power- I would like to know the answer to that !one !

6. bgrover

bgrover Member

Know the feeling! Went home Tuesday after work and decided to push the snow back incase we had some drifting I would have room to push that. Pushed the last bit into my 7' pile and got too far in. :eek: Had snow under my Boss plow, frame everthing back to the front axle. Rear tires on packed snow with little traction and the fronts couldn't get down to bite.

Ended up digging a bit and getting my new Explorer out with the tow strap. The Explorer couldn't pull be out but pulled me back about 3". With that I could get rocking and got myself back out.

Learned my lesson on that one!

7. myo

myo Senior Member

ouch, that sucks. You learn you lesson quickly when your shoveling it out. I have gotten stuck in my driveway also. It happens and it sucks when it does.

8. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

hey Tommy10plow, I got stuck a real lot this last storm, partly because my tires don't have as much tread as they should. I didn't even think of chains. How are they if I have to travel a short distance on a main cleared road? I may concider getting a set. They would be nice for big storms like this last one even if we don't get one for a while they are cheap enough so they would be good to have. Let me know

9. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

Chains sure do make a difference. Went out to hit my route for the first time on Monday with chains on the rear only. Six hours later I chained up the fronts. First time I ever needed them on the front, but what a difference they make, especially backing down hill.

Tuesday morning I was doing all my drives for the third time/final cleanup and still had the chains on all four. Only problem was the roads were pretty clear by then and I hate driving with them on when the roads are like that but I NEED them for some of my drives. The V-bar's I just got are already showing substantial wear.

-Tim

10. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

chains

I would be concerned that chains will mark the driveways causing some of my customers to get really really upset

11. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I got stuck at my Aunts house last week. She had an old garage torn down but the slab is still there and sits about 4 inches off the ground on the back side. I thought I had another foot to go but didn't it was too icy to get myself back over. Luckily I have a buddy that works for a towing company in the area that pulled me out for free!!!!

12. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

Z-chains

I got some super Z chains friday before the storm and couldn't got of through without them. Try the Z-chains best hundred bucks
    I spent last week. I have the big chains but I would only use them on snow coverd roads. Zchains are doable on clear roads.