1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I Got Stiffed!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daner, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

I Was rolling along in my tractor just before Christmas on my way home from doing my few accounts that i have... a neighbour that just moved in to his new farm was out trying to clear his drive way thats over 300 ft long by shovel...So I stopped ... introduced myself... and tried to make a deal with him...15 Bucks per push...and i said i would do this one for free. sure he said
    Well he calls on the land line and asked if i could come do his drive on sat. after the storm?? and he said that he would drop in and pay me later...so i did just that...Guess what ... i haven't seen him now in three weeks...Dropped a invoice in his mailbox still no call...Now what do you do with a guy like that...I gave the guy a break and i get STIFFED:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: :yow!: :yow!: /COLOR]
  2. almostbk1stday

almostbk1stday Member
    from ontario

Remember, snow goes both ways. What can be pushed out can also be pushed in.
  3. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

???$15 a push, like the entire driveway for $15 ?....300ft driveway???i do 100 foot driveways for $50 a push
  4. Daner

I Like That One

Iwas trying to give the guy a break buy only charging him 15 Bucks...:rolleyes:
  5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

is that $15 Canadian? so its more like 20 or so American. :D
    it sounds like your neighbor needs the end of his drive filled up next storm but make it look like the county truck did it. :)
  6. Daner

No More Mister Nice Guy

It will be interesting if he calls when we really do get a snow storm:cool: :D
  7. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

wat kind of tractor do you have, you shold be charging $90+ an hr for that baby
  8. almostbk1stday

almostbk1stday Member
    from ontario

I feel for you brother. I can tell you this simple piece of wisdom I have learned over the years.

The ones you cut a break to are the ones that 1complain, 2stiff you and 3dont refer you to anyone.

Heres why:

1. You cut him/her a nice deal and now he/she thinks you are a loser trying to make a buck and now HE is doing YOU a favor.

2. Your story.

3. They feel they have such a good deal that they don t want anyone else to use your services so you get so busy and dump them.

The way I see it is always charge MORE than you think it is worth. People always seem to want to spend the extra money.
  9. Daner

The tractor is a 6400 John Deere with a loader and a 8< blower4x4 it can blow alot of snow in a short period of time back into driveways HEE HEE:)
  10. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Next time he calls, tell him no. THat's what I'd do. You don't want to burn any bridges just quite yet with a new neighbor.
  11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

no- next time he calls tell him you want payment for the plows hge already owes you PLUS payment the the right now plow cash in hand before you drop the blade- oh, and let him know the price has now gone up to (at least) $25.

Demand cash in hand before pushing and raise the rates- simple and effective. If he has no cash he shovels and that accomplishes the same as telling to shove off.
  12. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

You started by stiffing yourself. $15 is way too low. If it was your way of welcoming him as a new neighbor, I would have done it for free then left him my card and said "call me" or I would have quoted him a reasonable price for continuing (for a neighbor something slightly less than my normal price) With the machine that you have you should be getting $90 to $150 per hour depending on your area.

I used to have a 300'+ driveway with a couple turnaround areas and that drive way would take me no less than 30 minutes (light snow) and sometimes more than an hour with my half-ton. Knowing this, this tells me that my driveway would've been around $50 to $75 per push. It should be the same price for you, with your tractor, but I bet you could get it done in 30 minutes everytime.
  13. Daner

Learning Fast

I did do the first one for free...I was right there...maybe 4 inches of the stuff we are all praying for...took me 10 Mins AT THE MOST...oh well...I do like that coment for the next time...DEMAND cash on hand ...pay for the plow that he forgot about and put the rate up to at least 25 bucks...Ahh He--ll Make it 100 bucks cash and hes got a dealpayup :gunsfiring: payup
  14. frostservices

frostservices Member

Im Not sure why everyone is worried about what your charging if you can`t collect it. Give the guy the benifit of the doubt if he just moved in he's probbly been busy.
  15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Good point- but everyone can say that. do you think the mortgage company would take that excuse? The electric company? The bank for the car payment? Why is one bill any different than another? Well, simply because there is no signed contract. If I have no contract it's cash in hand before the blade touches the pavement.
  16. Daner

Learning even faster

Thats what i also need to do ...Have a contact book with me for those guys...Does any one know what should be on a basic contract...Maybe there are ready made ones for us guys at Office Depot ect??payup
  17. dylan

dylan PlowSite.com Veteran

Hi Daner
    Where in ON are you at? I'm in ottawa. If you send me a note, I can probably pass on some local info.
    Thanks Dylan
  18. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I hope I'm right...I have a funny feeling he's going to pay you and apologize and your going to feel bad. He just moved in. Maybe he just forgot with all the confusion or lost your number. stupid, but it happens...He has to think it not worth pissing off a new neighbor for 15 bucks.
  19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I hope you're right too Yaz, but it is quite possible he's just a jack a$$.

Check in the business forum. I know someone posted a contract there (very well done). I don;t think OD has any premades for us.
  20. Daner

What goes around comes around

It May not be snowing...but i just picked up a new acount yesterday for a country driveway... 30 bucks cash per blow/ push... 50 feet straight in and no hills...But yaa when the storms do come and they will i beleive we all are going to get lots of that white stuff from the sky...If i see that guy who "Stiffed Me" I will simply pull up to him and say ... hey there did you forget about me??? and we will see what he has to say...maybe he did for get ...or got hurt at work... or he is one of those customers that are never satisfied no matter what you do...Hell i,m shure Glad i,m a nice guy...Ps if i can get a picture loaded up i will show you guys my back drag set up...Me being a welder for 30 yrs made a great back drag blade with quick atatch system for the loader...i can walk into 18" of snow with ease....does any one know how to make your images smaller so you can up load them on here??:cool: