1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i got ripped!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fisher guy, Dec 20, 2008.

1. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

OK let me know what u think i just moved up here to go work as a plow driver for a close friend driving his fathers dump truck he knows Ive been wanting to plow my whole life so he said hed teach me sweet great pay what could go wrong well we went plowing the other day i did pretty good according to him and his father i didn't tear up the truck i was OK with speed. they even put me by myself which was awesome again no tear up OK speed decent job remember this is my first time . today this storm hits and about an hour or 2 before the storm i pull up to my buddy and he says his father wants to drive the truck until he goes on vacation to Mexico in late January so where does that leave me ... u guessed it a shovel. i mean am i making a big deal out of nothing or what? i don't mind shoveling a lil bit here and there but i came all the way from Florida to drive a plow not shovel full time. other problem pay isn't great 12 an hour more if im in a plow so that screws me there too. my buddy is staying pretty quiet about after his dad leaves on vac. so i don't know if im going to get it then either. i mean im lost right now i don't know what to think or what to do. im not too crazy about the thought of having to work 10-15 hours shoveling snow all day. a jobs a job i guess i need the money but not exactly what i want to do anyone got any suggestions or possibly looking for a driver near my area. im 20 just about to be 21 the 28th of dec. im always on time if not early can be ready for all storms fast learner will go the extra mile to satisfy my boss dont mind shoveling here and there has GPS so i can tell my way around not picky when it comes to trucks i have a 2003 f-250 in almost in mint condition so i take care of vehicles well clean driving record
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

3. fisher guy

i mean it just seems like theres more to it then what theyre telling me if they would tell me from the get go then hey no prob i wouldent of moved i had other connections up here i could of went and drove for them but i had this thing going and i wanted to be faithful to my buddy but now my other connects got there drivers for the season and i might be stuck with a shovel for the whole season
  4. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

u got buddy-****. Might as well go out for beers and ask him what's really up.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2008
  5. fisher guy

he doesnt drink unfortunately
  6. AdamChrap

AdamChrap Member

:dizzy: you sould have known not trust him
  7. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Same thing happened to me last year. Drove an hour after i worked a 22hr day (2 jobs). Got there and said to me, heres the shovel. I whined to gf, which said something to her old man, which got forwarded to the boss. Two weeks later, got $100 cash for stiffing me.
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Maybe they have a insurance policy limiting drivers to 21 or older?
  9. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Yell him to go F himself and hire on with someone else. It only becomes abuse if you allow it to happen.

"Hey man, I swear I didn't move up here from friggin' Florida to become your dang shovel boy, I thought you were gonna teach me to plow?"

I would then hang a Fisher Vee off the front of that F-Series and become a bit more valuable in the negotiating process.
  10. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

I wouldn't fly off the handle. I would go to him and explain your concerns. Do not yell, be calm and say what's on your mind. Let him know that you took this seriously and you need to know where you stand.

There's nothing wrong with that.

If he goes off or let's you go:
    1) he was going to do it anyway
    2)he's an idiot

You moved a long way and need the $$. He should be able to see that.
  11. fisher guy

thanx guys trust me the thought of the plow on my came to mind amongst other things u said proseasons but for one i dont have the money for even a used meyer right now and yes its that bad lol and 2 who would i go work with everyone is all booked up in my area. as for next year if this spreader thing works out and i can sign up a couple places or a couple company's then i will put a nice 8 ft xblade on the front and go sub contractor the good thing about this guy is he has the monopoly on all the condos out here so he could care less about restaurants, walmarts and all that good stuff he makes enough with his stuff hes happy. so he doesn't care if i go on my own a lil bit as long as i get his stuff done he makes his money on it hes happy i throw him a 10% cut for his sander and hes happy it helps me and him both out
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  12. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Here's the deal.

This is what's wrong with this country.

Yes, you were told what you were going to plow. But you know what? Things change.

You're 20. You need to learn the ropes. Sure, you do a good job, don't tear things up, that's all fine and dandy, but you get no cookie for that. That's what you're SUPPOSED to do.

If you're really that upset about doing manual labor, tell him that you were told you'd get $25 for plowing, but now for shoveling you're only getting $12. Tell him that you'll shovel for $18, but no less, or move your butt back to FL and sit around with no work.

In this economy, soon everyone will be glad they're making $12 per hour.

If it was me you're working for, I'd tell you to go back to FL, personally.
  13. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

You are doing all right, at least you got $12, think about alternatives, network and try to do better. Something will turn up and leave knowing that you did a good job. Personally, while there is a lot of money to be made plowing, I wouldn't be expecting to be making a living at it with no experience and being at the mercy of the weather.
  14. fisher guy

i did my first storm today on the shovel from 5 pm last night till about an hour and half ago non stop i was cold i was tired i was aggravated but it gave me time to think i had a talk with my boss and we discussed the problem alot of it was a miss communication and it was not personal or meant me to think i was never getting on a plow again it was his father that wanted to do some plowing before he went off to mexico for the winter after he leaves i still have to talk to him but i might be getting in that truck while hes gone taking care of his properties. and also i might be getting a sander for my truck paid for by the company i have all the specs on the deal in another post but yeah this should only be temporary till the beginning of january as for what u said now that ive had time to think about the whole situation i realize ur right things change with this economy sucks be happy with what u got my last company that i worked for just laid off 80 hard working equipment operators where are those guys gonna go theres no work down there. so ive come to the conclusion that if i have to bust my ass day in and day out with these storms for the next 2 weeks to keep a job then so be it i may have a great opportunity in the next 2 weeks it can pay very well if i just stick it out
  15. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Good for you, thats the rite thing to do. I get guys like you all summer long. I hire a guy to help with the excavating work I do and his first day he wants to jump in the dozer. He says, "I can run that" I say yah you can make it move but you can't run it. You have to start somewhere. The guy that has been with me the longest is the firsts guy that I let drive, he has paid his dues shoveling, jack hammering and doing all the bull work for years, if opening comes up for a driver he gets it. If you had experience driving, hired one as a experienced driver to drive thats a different story. Hired on to learn how to drive is not the same thing.
  16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Where are you staying(sleeping) while you are up there from Fla. ?
  17. Ryno

Ryno Junior Member

Use some punctuation. Those sentences are crazy !!!
  18. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

just be happy your working i get a couple of calls a day for people looking for work. If you were working for me and complained about shoveling id send you packing you do what your told and you do the best job that you can. You inpress your boss and u move up. if you are a pain in the bosses rear you'll be glued to the shovel the rest of your life. Just smile and work your butt off and you'll go places Good luck to you
  19. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare Member

I thought it was me.....I'm tired, but man oh man!
  20. PlowGood

PlowGood Member

Lay off the dude, he got hired SPECIFICALLY to plow. "Bait and switch" from $25/hour plow driver to $12/hour shoveler is just wrong. And from a good friend too, and after moving up from Florida to MA?

Sounds like the old man needs to make some money to spend in Mexico.