1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I got ripped of bad!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Michigansnowkin, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Michigansnowkin

Michigansnowkin Member

So last week my buddy and i bought our 1st second truck to add to our operation. It is a 93 Ford f350 v8 4x4 with a western plow. The truck is a work truck, has rust but the plow works good and the truck seemed to run great, it needed a few minor adjustments nothing we couldn't fix. Anyway we take the truck for $2600 and BACKPACK BLOWER. Two days after we take it my buddy is driving it to my house and he hears what seems to be like a really loud exhaust leak. We get in in my garage and see there is a hole in the head right where the manifold connects. The sob put muffler weld over the hole in the head to make it quiet and not leak! I know nothing about this engine its the 351, he knew what he was doing and screwed me. I contacted me and told me he drove it for three years with the muffler putty on it and never had a problem. All i got from his was he told me "welcome to the game". The body isn't in the best shape so now i cant even dump it for 1,500. Anyone know an affordable Ford mechanic, I need either a head or I was considering a new engine. Any advice? Should i take him to small claims court? Any advice will help. Thanks

2. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member

Where exactly is it leaking from? Snap a pic if you can.

3. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

That is the problem with buying from individuals with no warranty. I bought a 1997 F-350 this spring for the same amount but had to turn around & dump another $3000in it but I knew it needed the front end rebuilt. If I wa sin your situation I would look for a rebuilt engine, at least then you will know what you have.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Was he a dealer? If not, you're done.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Ok it been leak long time and exhaust heat leak between head to manifold.

We can get used head from junkyard under $50

6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Step away from the truck and take plenty of deep breaths....you're not making any f'n sense.:laughing:

Now go find the guy and make him an offer he cant refuse. :D

7. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Ive see where the head breaks where the stud Is suposto be on these motors. The last one I did was on the rear of the head.I had to remove the manifold and weld a new stud in. Not a fun job. Pictures would help.

8. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

If its leaking between the head and exhaust manifold, no biggy...just a gasket....

If the manifold is broke, also no biggy.....get a manifold at a junkyard

If the head is broke.....biggy....new head or get it welded.

Could try some more muffler cement.

9. Michigansnowkin

Michigansnowkin Member

how do i upload images, insert image? it says put a url in?

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Dangnabit, John, you keep beating me to the punch. :realmad::realmad:

What is a first second truck?

Why did you contact yourself?

11. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member

HUH :confused:

12. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Use the "Manage Attachments" button under the box where you type....then upload from your computer

13. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member

Its way easier

14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Click on "Manage Attachments". Another window will open - click on "browse" and find where your pictures are. Click on the picture you want to attach. Then "Upload".

15. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

OK

here

You try image what I am SAY.

Exhaust manifold isn't bolt to head tight enough or bolt broke. It have clearance between head to manifold so exhaust leak out it. Exhaust can get REAL HOT it start make enlarge clearance. I have see some exhaust manifold have hole from leak exhaust.

16. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member

Its clear now, thanks :dizzy:

17. Andy's Beast

Andy's Beast Member

I know that for some people, you have to take a breathalyzer before you can start the car. I wonder if they have something like that for posters?

18. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I'm not sure why I visit plowsite, if it's for the advice, or the humor. It's a toss up.

19. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Just so you guys know, Millwalkee is deaf and had trouble learning grammar........Most of us know that.....:nono:

20. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member