1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I got pulled over

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by STSmike, Mar 14, 2013.

1. STSmike

STSmike Junior Member

I have always had a concern with running my light bar as I was transporting between properties while plowing. I run a soundoff mini in all white and hideaway lights on all four corners that are white also. I am from the indianapolis area. Before I purchased any of the lights I searched our laws and spoke to a good friend of mine who is with homeland security and the police department. I do not run all the lights while in heavy traffic but I do run them occasionally when I feel it's necessary to avoid people who have no reason to be driving in the snowy conditions. I was stopped 12/21/12 by an impd officer on I-465 on the westside of indianapolis while driving with my lights on. The officer was extremely rude and upset that I had my lights on. He wrote me a ticket for speeding in the conditions, unlawful use of lights, changing lanes without a signal, and not signing my registration. Needless to say it ruined my day. After the storm I promptly found the indiana gov website of laws and Found I.C. 9-21-7-11(b) which states no vehicle shall operate with flashing lights unless defined in section (b). Number 3 of the subsection states snow removal equipment. I recently spent 2 hrs in court today fighting the charge. The prosecutor looked at the ticket as I explained the laws and what I was doing while driving. He quickly dropped all the citations except the signing of my registration.i admit I was guilty of that one. He also stated that the officer was inept in filling out the ticket. (He wrote the wrong charges and couldnt say what speed i was traveling) I figured I'd put this on the site so if others run into this problem they have a reference to find the indiana light laws.

2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Glad you had a place to vent.... Since I had the time, read the rules you posted for my entertainment.
    I know it's not fun to be pulled over, but your opinion on "I feel" gives the rest of the guys on plowsite a little back ground about you. This sounds like a thread that should be deleted; I feel!

3. STSmike

STSmike Junior Member

What I meant was when I'm plowing a street or backing out of a parking lot onto a road or running short distances between properties. I don't "feel" like having my equipment damaged buy a careless driver. Some of us plow in areas where few are courteous or cautious of plow operators. I don't use them to pass people, drive recklessly or try to be an emergency vehicle. I cruise along at or below the speed limit when transporting. The lights are well within the laws. I'm just giving some information. Btw I've been operating for 7 years, zero accidents, zero complaints, and well respected. Thanks

4. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I hate cops like that. Give the rest of them a bad rep. They just want to be dicks. I would report him to the police chief since you had to waste your time, might as well find a way to waste his.

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

They let you run white light bar
    Here we can only run amber lights

6. STSmike

STSmike Junior Member

In indiana as long as its not red/blue, blue/white, or red/white facing the front, you're good to go. Personally I like the white. It's less strain on my eyes than amber/yellow lights.

7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Well...If you really want to put that cop in his place, next time wear one of these:
    (between his lights & your lights, he won't be able to write the ticket)

FAC9R34H5F2ZNJK.LARGE.jpg

8. STSmike

STSmike Junior Member

Nailed it! That demands respect

9. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I have a lot of strobes on my truck. I do not use them on the road. I wish the police here would take note of other private plowers running strobes on the street and give them tickets.

10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You have a lot to learn then. Just because you leave your lights on running up the road (which is stupid IMO. Think I'll put a bunch of flashers on my wife's vehicle because I don't want some idiot running into her in a snowstorm) Anyways, emergency vehicles get hit on an almost daily basis, the lights can be more of a problem than prevention.

And why is it up to you to decide when someone needs to be on the road? What if it's a doctor heading to the hospital? A nurse heading for emergency surgery? A pastor heading to comfort a family waiting in the ER? A family member heading to help another family member in need? Another snowplower heading into work? I can go on and on. It's none of your business why someone else is on the road.

I've said it before, flashers on plow\salt trucks should only be used on the road if the equipment is oversized or a SMV, otherwise lights should be used only the lots and drives that one is servicing. BECAUSE, we don't follow the normal flow of traffic in lots. We start and stop suddenly, we go the wrong way, we go crosswise through parking areas, we do circles, etc, etc, etc. Flashers should be used to warn of these types of movements, NOT for normal driving up the road.

The ONLY thing people like you are doing is desensitizing the other people on the road to what the flashers ARE supposed to be doing: Warning them of sudden starts\stops\maneuvers.

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

dfd9,
    Is your response to mine directed at me or the orginal poster ? Not sure why you quoted me when I am in agreement that more police should take notice and give tickets out to the yahoo's running strobes on the street to get to their destination. I only run them at the lot or location I am plowing. Not sure why the OP would even post this that they got a ticket. I also suspect this will be deleted too.

12. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Forgot to say AGREED or something along those lines. :blush2: :rolleyes:

Quoted you because generally there are aboot 300:1 that think it is perfectly reasonable to run flashers from the time you start the truck to the time you park it. I think that is stupid. Now I know there is at least 1 more guy that agrees with me. :drinkup:

13. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

For a long time I ran the lights all the time. But after reading a few threads like this and a few others and talking to a buddy about it, I completly agree. Lights should only be on when your actually plowing. I think people are becoming desesitized to caution lights, because of the guys who run them all the time.

14. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

running anything but amber while plowing is asking for trouble. white, blue, red, green - stay away from those colors.

stick with amber and dont run them when going down the road on a clear day and you should be ok.

but it all comes down to what particular cop you come across and what happens to be shoved up his rear at that moment.

15. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Here they're starting to write tickets on plows over 8'6" wide.. Required by law to run a flashing amber light "visible from 500' in "any" condition". But only really enforced in certain towns.. Some are more lax than others.

16. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

State of CT. requires a permitt to run a light(s). I think it is 25.00 per year. You can download the form at the CT. DMV site.

17. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Same here its required by law flashing amber light on when the snow plow is on
    I was told by the DOT any time my truck goes down the road with plow on, the flasher has to be on

I know one guy here got a ticket for running white flasher on the front Seen him at walmart Seen that he removed the white installed amber. I ask him why he did that, he said the DOT pulled him over during last storm got a ticket

18. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

Your lucky the the prosecutor went along with your story. The law was written with the intent that a snow removal equipment was being operated or in the process of removing snow. As you stated, you were driving between sites and not actually in the process of removing snow. As for speeding, I don't know what the cop intended, but here in Michigan you can be given a speeding ticket under the basic speed law. This means that the speed limit may be 45 mph and you are doing 40 mph and can still receive a speeding ticket. It basicaly is based on whether the speed you are travelling at is too fast for the road conditions. In other words, there was snow on the ground and the officer felt you were going too fast and may cause an accident because of your speed. Obviously the officer did not articulate what was going on. But then again there are a__hole cops that make up offenses all the time. But the fact you felt the road conditions were so bad that you needed to have lights flashing on your rig, then you attracted the officer to yourself and could have made him think you were going too fast for conditions.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  19. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know how it is here in MA, but we never turn them off while plowing because that requires reaching down and unplugging the light in 3 of the 4 trucks. The one truck(mine) has plow prep and 2 beacons wired in to the button. I turn mine off when its snowing hard or even if I'm plowing at night because I can't see with them on.

20. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I used to run them 100% of the time but have over time tried to condition myself to turn off between sites. I don't always remember, but do try. Here in Maine it is illegal to travel down the road with them on but they never write tickets for it. I also agree that people are becoming desensitized to the lights because of overuse.